Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Gas fire pit

The wife and I decided to get a gas fire pit.
Bought one at camping world. It has a hose and regulator attached. I want to use the tank on the motorhome. Since the motorhome tank is already regulated can I remove the one that came with the pit and hook directly to my quick disconnect?
Picture of the hook up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	121572  
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

I'm not sure but I didn't want to mess with my MH propane tank so I just bought a regular BBQ tank, I think they're 20 lbs, and use that for both the BBQ and our propane campfire. It stores easily and safely in one of the storage bays. The nice thing is that I can use the BBQ or campfire on the other side of the MH without a long hose, and if it goes empty I can carry it to the area where they sell propane at the campground without having to move the MH. We get several nights of fires and BBQ'ing with it so it is still cheaper than wood(we just don't like all the smoke from wood).

Seeing as you have the MH tank all set up I would just try it with an adapter that attaches to your regulator on the campfire, the worst thing is that it would restrict the pressure too much. That way you can still use the campfire away from the MH if you ever wanted too, and the extra hose from the adapter would just give you a little more range.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #3

You might be on to something there. I have several 20 lb gas grill bottles. Much easier to get one of them filled and can put the pit anywhere you want.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Just went thru doing what you asked about. First challenge is if you connect after the main regulator on your RV's tank--you get low pressure propane. Like any appliance with a built in regulator [eg Road Trip grill], your new "Campfire-in-a-Can" requires high pressure to feed its variable regulator--like from a 20lbs bottle.

Not for the faint of heart but you can install a tee between the maintain tank shut off and main regulator to provide the needed high pressure. I added an extra shut off valve and an ACME nut to this new stub [double safety shut-off].

Second challenge--when I tried to connect an extension hose to the new stub and go to the exising regulator on the Campfire, something inside one of the connections shut off the flow--"propane gods" I think. Finally installed the campfire variable regulator on the Acme nut at the stub, then use the extension hose to reach the campfire hose. Accordingly, I had to leave the campfire regulator wide open and installed a simple ball valve at the end of the extension hose to regulate propane flow and fire intensity.

Once constructed, I can now use this set- up to feed my road trip grill too. Again, because of the "propane gods," getting compatible connections was a major challenge. However, with a double shut-off and the use of std gas plumbing connections, I feel very safe with this solution.

PS--dont like idea of carrying extra propane tanks and since the campfire does consume a fair amount of gas--nor making the extra trips for refills.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think you can if the coach regulator pressure reduction and flow rate are compatible but you will need to remove the pit regulator but don't throw it away just yet. The problems you might have is the pit gas usage is high enough that the coach regulator can't sustain it and the coach installed appliances (fridge, stove, water heater and such) at the same time. The other problem you might have is the coach regulator doesn't have a high enough pressure or flow to give a good flame from the pit. If either of these problems occur you're need an extend a stay or such with is installed between the tank and regulator. I have this one Amazon.com: Camco 59103 Propane Brass Tee with 3 Port and 12' Hose: Automotive that I used with a propane grill.

If I were you I would use portable 20 lbs. portable bottles, home grill type. Normally at a camp site, unless you're boon docking, camp fires of any type need to be in the provided fire ring which can be a good distance from the parking area. A portable bottle makes doing so much easier.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Yes--it appeared to me that the Extend-a-stay will work but it was $85 at CW, so I built my own [with double shut-offs]. As for connecting the campfire to the low pressure stub on the RV--no workie--small flame--no adjustment.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

My brother in law had a male quick connect fitting. I installed it on my 10 hose.
Hooked it up and couldn't get any gas to come through. Plugged in just the fitting to the female fitting and still no gas. After some research on the Internet I found out there is a difference in the high pressure fitting and the low pressure fitting. Bought a low pressure male fitting from the local hardware. Works like a champ. Flames are even higher than using the 20 lb bottle.
Grandkids are going to love it.

Tags
fire, gas