Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Generator and leveler quit.. Help

Thor hurricane 34j 2015 - I just pulled into campsite about a hour ago. Using the leveler while generator running . Generator stopped and levelers say low power will not retract. The generator won't turn over also no test codes when trying to start generator from out side. I had the generator on for the Air cond. there must be a breaker or fuse some where that blew. Any help would be great. I will be here for a few days but will have to get this working or I won't be able to get levelers up. On voltage panel I did I have 13.5 Volts .rv starts also. I could extend the slide . House battery is completely charged. I just drove 5 hours to get here with generator on for air condition as long as the alternator is working the coach battery should be ok
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

FWIW - quick check would be to look for breaker(s) at the generator then trace the heavy wire to the starter back to the battery looking for a fuse. Also check the ground wire. Running the main engine might solve the jack problem.

A bit more thought, it sounds like a bad connection at the battery post. Voltage OK until you try to draw current. I'd be checking the voltage at the battery connector not post while someone cranked or tried to crank the generator. Post results if you try that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - quick check would be to look for breaker(s) at the generator then trace the heavy wire to the starter back to the battery looking for a fuse. Also check the ground wire. Running the main engine might solve the jack problem.

A bit more thought, it sounds like a bad connection at the battery post. Voltage OK until you try to draw current. I'd be checking the voltage at the battery connector not post while someone cranked or tried to crank the generator. Post results if you try that.
Thank you.. I found the breaker... That is the good news.. The Generator now works.. The Breaker is for the Generator and the Leveler.. But the bad news is the Leveler is causing the issue. "Stuck in The Down Position" Hydrolic pump pumping but like there is no fluid.. Over heats and pops breaker. That is must of what happened when the generator shut off. Talk to Lippert tech support. he did some test with me. All the levelers not working.. Put the values in manual mode, still didn't work.. Now stuck at campground with Levelers down trying to get a mobile rv guy to come in..
Anybody know of a good mobile service lic and insured that I can use with my extended warranty In Ossipee NH? I need to leave campground buy Saturday..7-9 . This is the vacation I should have worked.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
Thank you.. I found the breaker... That is the good news.. The Generator now works.. The Breaker is for the Generator and the Leveler.. But the bad news is the Leveler is causing the issue. "Stuck in The Down Position" Hydrolic pump pumping but like there is no fluid.. Over heats and pops breaker. That is must of what happened when the generator shut off. Talk to Lippert tech support. he did some test with me. All the levelers not working.. Put the values in manual mode, still didn't work.. Now stuck at campground with Levelers down trying to get a mobile rv guy to come in..
Anybody know of a good mobile service lic and insured that I can use with my extended warranty In Ossipee NH? I need to leave campground buy Saturday..7-9 . This is the vacation I should have worked.
Here is the solution in the event someone else runs into this.. ( I got a Mobile Service guy in then found this thread With instruction from LCI... I wish I found it early earlier.. It doesn't fix the problem but you can get your jacks up to bring it to a service center.... GRRRRRRR This info would have saved me 200 buck mobile service call...
Mine is a black and white wire....

"If the jacks are still fully extended with unit off ground you will need to unplug the directional valve. This is located on the lower left hand side of the pump if the motor is to you with the reservoir away from you. The directional valve will have a black & white wire leading to it. When this is unplugged the pump assembly should do nothing but retract. If the solenoid to the pump assembly does not have constant voltage you will need to check the breaker between the solenoid and battery for being tripped.
If the directional valve has a black & white wire then we may be looking at replacing the level harness (from the 12-pin connector to pump assembly) and the leveling controller. The diode may have malfunctioned and replacing these 2 components should correct your concern.

Tags
generator