Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

Has Thor addressed slide issues?

I've been reading all the posts regarding issues with the slide outs on Thor motor coaches. It's very disheartening indeed. I take delivery of our new 2014 Windsport 34j next week. It as a full wall slide. My question is has Thor fixed this problem in new production coaches or I'm I just going to have to wait and hope my slide doesn't break too. Also how about some positive reinforcement from Thor owners who have had no slide issues!
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Jeff View Post
I've been reading all the posts regarding issues with the slide outs on Thor motor coaches. It's very disheartening indeed. I take delivery of our new 2014 Windsport 34j next week. It as a full wall slide. My question is has Thor fixed this problem in new production coaches or I'm I just going to have to wait and hope my slide doesn't break too. Also how about some positive reinforcement from Thor owners who have had no slide issues!
No slide issues on my 2014 33.2 Palazzo
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No issues on our 2014 Hurricane, seems like people who have no problems seldom post.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Took my 2013 Palazzo 33.2 back to the factory on Nov 18th to be updated to 2014 specs and the big slide has been fine since then. New for 2014, shorter top to bottom shafts made from steel instead of the longer aluminum shaft they started with, and new motors with a 500 to 1 gear ratio for more torque.

I don't know when the new setup got into the 2014 line but I think it was pretty early.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, CONGRATS to the OP on the new coach! The 34J looks awesome with that massive slide.

I believe the majority of the slide issues were in Palazzo models...but not all Palazzo's had the problem.
And the Palazzo is on a very different chassis than out gas powered RV's. Is that a factor? I don't know but I bet it is.

And, the massive slide in the Challenger 37LX (another gas rig) has not had any problems.

Finally, there has never been any chronic slide problems in any of the TMC/Damon Outlaws in over 7 years of the line-up over 4 models with single and double slides:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

If I were the OP, I would operate the slide repeatedly during the PDI...have someone outside listening for any odd sounds and check for alignment each time while open and closed. The dealer shouldn't mind, since they will be on the hook for the fix if needed -right?

Best luck with your new coach!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Jeff: I posted some info I got from a dealer tech. Good suggestions. Here's a link to that post. (#2636)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/pala...ml#post1865349
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
My September 2014 built 33.2 Palazzo had a major Schwintek failure causing the large slide out to twist and warp. Camping World had to send a tech out to get it back in. Then Thor sent a rep to replace all the Schwintek components. Then the coach had to go to paint and body to have everything repainted. There have been a ton of other issues. We are not accepting the coach back. We are waiting on a permanent solution from CW and Thor at this time.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
No problems with my slide but it is not as long as the other models. We have owned our coach for 19 months.

Welcome, good luck and safe travels!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

I was nervous too when I read all the slide problems. We have now had our hurricane 34j for a month and a half with the slide in and out about 20 times. No issues so far.
However we have had cabinets not properly lined up, gas line to water heater pinched under the kitchen cabinet, heater duct not connected, several outside compartment latches not lined up and some other things. All very simple fixes if you are handy and have a lot of tools.
Check very closely and check everything! We are still very happy so far. All the little issues have made us very familiar with the coach from top to bottom

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I also have just purchased a 2014 Thor Windsport 34J about a month ago. I have only used it a couple of times and haven't had any problems with the full wall slide. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
meffrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #11

I think the Schwintek slide out mechanisms are all fundamentally the same on all coaches whether they have a gas chassis or a diesel chassis. No part of the Schwintek system attaches to the chassis themselves. The gears, rails and bottom rollers are attached to the slide out box, inside the house side walls and the house floor.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
We have had our 2014 33.2 with the long slide since the first of October. We have 5,000 miles on it so far. We have not had any slide problems.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2014 37KT with 3 slides , no problems so far. I bought my unit in the summer of 2013.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a Damon (Which is a Thor) Brand, Had major problems with one of the slides snapping shear pins like toothpicks.. Till another forum member told me what I was doing wrong.. Now .. Well let's just say I don't buy nearly as many quarter inch grade 8 bolts as I used to.

All I changed was... My Mind (And the length of the bolt).

Recommendation, and this is for ANYONE with Power Gear Rack & pinion slides (These have long toothed rails under the slide)

Carry extra shear pins.. You may well never use 'em but they are nice to have just in cuss...

If they are quarter inch bolts, like mine, make sure the bolt is LONG enough that the non-threaded portion of the bolt goes all the way through the square shaft, Use thick washers to build it up so the nut (Nylock by the way) can properly tighten down.

If you don't have that kind of slide.. Carry a few grade 5 quarter inch bolts, Only this time carrage bolts (Different head) and nylock nuts.. These need to be like 2" as I recall (long enough to go through a 2x4 and a metal bracket and still take a nut).

WHY.. Well, .. Many times I've sat down on the end of a park picnic table... Picked myself up off the ground.. And installed one of my spare bolts.

(Though the ones I have are hex head.. I had to use a few Grade 5's till I figured out what I was doing wrong).

Tags
slide, thor