Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Having your RV weighed helped? Tire Pressure setting correct?

Is it worth taking your RV to Loves or Pilot Truck stop where they have a truck scale and weighing your RV?

I don't know what they charge for this but is it worth all of the trouble and cost to determine if your air pressure should be 92 or 95?

By the way, does everyone use the PSI on the sticker inside your coach? I was told one tire pressure from the dealership, another from a tire expert and then the sticker inside the RV. All three are different.

Which one would you use or would you have it weighed and go by the chart?

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it's worth it. Too much air and the coach rides hard and drives squirrely. To little, and tire flexes too much and builds up heat, can blow out.

Costs about 10 bucks, another 2 or 3 for a 2nd reweigh, if you do a 4 corner weigh.

I weigh with full fuel tank, full water tank, full propane, empty black/gray, loaded as we normally travel.

You use the tire weight charts made by the manufacturer for the specific model of your tire. There is a single tire column, and a dual tire column.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
Is it worth taking your RV to Loves or Pilot Truck stop where they have a truck scale and weighing your RV?

I don't know what they charge for this but is it worth all of the trouble and cost to determine if your air pressure should be 92 or 95?

By the way, does everyone use the PSI on the sticker inside your coach? I was told one tire pressure from the dealership, another from a tire expert and then the sticker inside the RV. All three are different.

Which one would you use or would you have it weighed and go by the chart?

I have the same questions about adjusting air for small changes (92 or 95) makes any sense since any TPMS shows swings of 10 or even 20 as the tires heat up. That being said I think weighing is a good idea to see if you are in the ballpark of proper weight. For the cost its some good info. This is one of those ideas where there's some good logic there but people can get carried away IMO.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Loves Truck Scales

True. I called Loves and they told me they would weigh my RV for $11.00.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes as after weighing I reduced my tire pressures significantly which improved the ride dramatically.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
True. I called Loves and they told me they would weigh my RV for $11.00.
They're typically 3 pads, to weigh the front axle of a semi, the duallies, and the trailer. If you are just doing a simple regular weigh, just center yourself on the pads,and use the front two pads.

Make sure you are loaded as you normally (or could) drive. ie full fuels and water, empty black/gray.

To do a 4 corner weigh, use the 2nd and 3rd pad driving just off to the left for the first pass. You have to use the rear 2 pads, because there is a post to the side of the front pad. Walk up and hit the call button to tell them to weigh. Then drive around and do the same thing on the right side, hit the call button and tell them to re-weigh. Pull off and walk into the office to get your two slips and pay your 12 or 13 bucks.

You will undoubtedly find that one side is heavier than the other. When you do your pressure calculations, use the heaviest tire weight from each axle, and double that. Figure out the psi on the tire chart, and add 5 psi for safety margin. When you fill your tires, keep your right and left tire pressures the same, for each axle.

If you do not do a 4 corner, and just do a single weighing, then you would look up your pressures on the tire chart, and I would add 10 psi to the chart as a safety margin. Your coach could easily have an actual 500 pound weight difference right to left on an axle.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #8

my CatScale was $8.50 with toad, and my full travel weights of 25,750 for the coach allowed me to adjust the tire PSI to 90 -95 psi on the fronts, 85- 90 psi on the rears, versus running near 100-105 psi before.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

You really need to have all four corners weighed while carrying your normal compliment of gear, food, fuel, and the people who routinely travel in your coach.
Your tire pressures are then adjusted to the heavier load on each axle.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

It is always better to have as much information as possible before making any decision. As Ernie said it is best to get your actual four corner weights and then use the chart from your tire manufacturer to set the pressures. Barring that information you can sleep well at night using your GAWR's and the same tire chart. If you find the ride a bit harsh go get it weighed.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It is always better to have as much information as possible before making any decision. As Ernie said it is best to get your actual four corner weights and then use the chart from your tire manufacturer to set the pressures. Barring that information you can sleep well at night using your GAWR's and the same tire chart. If you find the ride a bit harsh go get it weighed.
It's not that it rides harsh. I was told something much lower than the sticker on my coach has posted for the psi. I began researching and learned its better to be over than under. This got me worried as my coach sticker has 95 psi. I was told 80. I was not aware of this sticker until a month ago. I purchased an EEZ TPMS system and now I don't want any guesswork or assumptions. Estimates based on facts and correct calculations for variations are okay but I want to know that at least I did all that I can do to prevent any issues. I have decided to run 95 psi until I get it weighed. I have never used commercial scales before so I don't know the process but I plan on telling them that and telling them I need each wheel weighed so tell me how we can do just that. The cost? Well, I'm not too worried about $11 or $22 or $33. I just want it correct the first time with no shortcuts.

My father always told me the difference between a job done good and a job done excellent/almost perfect was 5 minutes. I want to spend the extra 5 minutes.

Thanks for all of your advice.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #12

I paid $60.00 at an rv rally. I got total rv weight, weight per axle, and individual wheel.

It also came with a margin weight so I know how much more I can carry. with individual wheel weight you can then look up the tire manufacturer's recommended settings.

I was running too much air. I was able to SAFELY lower my pressures and get a smoother ride, money well spent...
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
I was told one tire pressure from the dealership, another from a tire expert and then the sticker inside the RV. All three are different.
And since not one of those "experts" knew your weights, all three are talking through their hat.
Also never ask at a tyre place because they will tell you 100psi - because it is easy to remember.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We are much safer motorhomers--to ourselves as well as those around us--because we got weighed and readjusted/reduced our load so we travel within our rated weights. Our RV now has a lot of empty space in the basement bays, but that is the price we pay for having our particular floor plan and traveling safely...

Tags
tire pressure