Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

Help!

I have a 30' Four Winds class C. The value is about $6000 to $8000 below what I owe. What are ways to solve this?We want to get rid of this.
mmanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanelli View Post
I have a 30' Four Winds class C. The value is about $6000 to $8000 below what I owe. What are ways to solve this?We want to get rid of this.
You are a victim of long term financing. You will have to borrow the money to make up the difference to pay the loan off when you sell. Borrowing against a Life Insurance policy, your 401K, a Home Equity loan or a personal loan are just a few suggestions.
Lynn
Old 09-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanelli View Post
You're underwater and the bank is going to want what they are owned. The coach isn't real estate with potential for increasing in value so your options are limited. Either keep it for now and pay down the loan at a faster rate or sell it now and pay the difference between what you are able to get for it and what is owned against the loan. No different than a car with a loan high than what's worth.

My other thought might involve insurance fraud so I'll just leave that to your imagination.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

Not as much a "victim", but it's a result of legally agreeing to long term loan on a quickly depreciating purchase.

Like LETMGROW indicated, you will have to come up with the needed money to pay off the difference.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

From a purely economic perspective RVs are a losing proposition. Just have to look at it as you've bought $8000 worth of fun times. Really no way out.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #6

Instead of posting the 'problem' here, plaster it "For Sale" in all the places you can, for the price you want. You never know who may want it. I read there is a shortage of RVs, so give it a shot.

Good Luck
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #7

Post it for sale everywhere you can at or near break even. Drop the price every 1-2 weeks until you start getting interest. Then you know the current "value" of the RV. At that point decide what you want to do. The price someone is willing to pay may be higher or lower than a book value. Late September is not a good time to start this process, winter is around the corner.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #8

Contact your lender and explain the situation, they don't want to reposes the RV, as that will cost them a lot of money in the long run. You may be able to negotiate a reduced settlement for whatever amount you can sell the coach for that does not negatively effect your credit, or at least not too negatively.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Contact your lender and explain the situation, they don't want to reposes the RV, as that will cost them a lot of money in the long run. You may be able to negotiate a reduced settlement for whatever amount you can sell the coach for that does not negatively effect your credit, or at least not too negatively.
The problem here is the lender will want to renegotiate the loan. This might bring the payment amount down but it will extend the length of the loan contract. The owner is already underwater, this could cause him to drown in debt.
It sounds as if the OP is desperate to unload the RV and the mortgage on the RV. I don't care why but he is between the old Rock and a hard place scenario. It's unfortunate but common with the low down payment and lengthy payment schedules offered today on RV's, cars and trucks among other things.
I have a friend who is in a similar situation with an ATV he bought a couple years ago. He got a Zero down payment down and a five year payment contract with a high interest rate. Now he's faced with a divorce, has very little equity in the ATV, owes more than it's worth and his EX wants it as part of the settlement.
Ouch!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #10

It still can't hurt to contact the lender and see if they will take a settlement, there is no downside as the worst they can say is no
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote