Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Help! All electrical in cockpit area stone dead!!!!

Hi everyone. As a woman that drives, does upkeep, and over 50% of all repairs on my 2016 Thor Tuscany, I lay down my tools today, humbly looking for insight and advice. This morning I woke to raise my electric nightshade. Not happening. I started pushing all switches within the cockpit area. Nothing. Not even the dashboard lights would come on when I turned the ignition switch. Seats don’t work, steps don’t work…you get the idea. I went to the basement compartment where the majority of the fuses are located. Took one of the fuse box covers. Eureka. Looked inside the cover and WOW, everything that was not working was listed. So far so good. Now. Do I just start pulling fuses one by one hoping for the culprit OR should I bypass that and go for the big guns and attack the accessory and/or ignition relay. As I was reading through one of the forum posts, the gentleman said he had a wiper motor problem and he could not get the relay out because it was soldered. Does anyone know if these are soldered to the back of the circuit board this model? 2016 Tuscany 42HQ. Soooooo where should I go from here? I know the relay(s) are less than $20 so I am hoping many of u have great ideas. Now leave out the part where you say”Have your husband help you.” Unfortunately my husband does not have 1 ounce of mechanical ability. Think of Robin Williams in the movie RV. GET THE PICTURE. My husband has never driven the coach, emptied the tanks, washed the rig, nothing. He can’t even turn on the heat or A/C. I would say he got a pretty dam good deal marrying me. Thanks for any and all help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	350556  
Finallyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
No need to pull all of the fuses and check them individually. When you have an issue where all of the circuits are dead then you need to check upstream into what feeds all of the circuits. If you have a voltage meter, start at the batteries, then to the battery disconnect relay(s), and continue on to where the power feeds into the fuse panel.

Do you have a voltage meter and have you verified that you don't simply have a dead battery(s)? ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyfree View Post
Hi everyone. As a woman that drives, does upkeep, and over 50% of all repairs on my 2016 Thor Tuscany, I lay down my tools today, humbly looking for insight and advice. This morning I woke to raise my electric nightshade. Not happening. I started pushing all switches within the cockpit area. Nothing. Not even the dashboard lights would come on when I turned the ignition switch. Seats don’t work, steps don’t work…you get the idea. I went to the basement compartment where the majority of the fuses are located. Took one of the fuse box covers. Eureka. Looked inside the cover and WOW, everything that was not working was listed. So far so good. Now. Do I just start pulling fuses one by one hoping for the culprit OR should I bypass that and go for the big guns and attack the accessory and/or ignition relay. As I was reading through one of the forum posts, the gentleman said he had a wiper motor problem and he could not get the relay out because it was soldered. Does anyone know if these are soldered to the back of the circuit board this model? 2016 Tuscany 42HQ. Soooooo where should I go from here? I know the relay(s) are less than $20 so I am hoping many of u have great ideas. Now leave out the part where you say”Have your husband help you.” Unfortunately my husband does not have 1 ounce of mechanical ability. Think of Robin Williams in the movie RV. GET THE PICTURE. My husband has never driven the coach, emptied the tanks, washed the rig, nothing. He can’t even turn on the heat or A/C. I would say he got a pretty dam good deal marrying me. Thanks for any and all help
Sounds to me like one of your 50 amp relays has tripped. Not exactly sure where they are on your model but most are near either your house batteries or you engine battery and are about 3x3 inches. There should be 2 and if one is tripped you will see an arm hanging from the assembly that will or should be red or white in color. Hope this helps, let us know what you find out and good luck
craigd853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:01 AM   #4

I had a similar issue on my older rig. The issue turned out to be a bad connection from the truck batteries. My rig had a 12v post that connected the battery, starter and truck electrical system. I cleaned up the terminals and resolved my issue.
bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:45 AM   #5
YC1

When you lose a bank of power it is NOT generally a fuse issue. Unless it is a very large one.

As suggested, start at the battery. I am not familiar with your rv but it does not matter.

Assuming you might be plugged into shoreline you could have lost shoreline power and your batteries have run down.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

My cat managed to throw my Store/Use switch, which would've resulted in a similar signature. Assuming you have one, I'd check that first...
houstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #7

Not knowing all the details you need to know two things. There are two electrical systems within an RV. A 120 Volt AC side and a 12 Volt DC side. The 120 side operates all of your standard wall outlets, microwave, AC units, refrigerator and other appliances that you may see in your sticks and bricks home. And some things you cannot see, converter/charger or an inverter/charger. The 12 Volt DC side is typically your interior and exterior lights support for the refrigerator, furnace, slide outs, awnings etc.

The 12 Volt DC system is reliant on the 120 Volt AC system, the convert/charger or the inverter/charger. These two items charge and maintain the house batteries and maybe even the chassis battery when parked. So if you have no 120 volt AC the 12 volt DC will not stay charged.

So to start do you have any 120 volt AC systems working? If not go to the furthest point as to where you have a connection and check your shore power plug and breaker. Turn the breaker to full off position and check your plug to make sure it has a good connection. Now turn the breaker on. Check things inside to see if any 120 volt systems are working. If no go to your internal distribution panel and check all breakers on the 120 AC side. Start with the main breaker turn off then on. Repeat on all breakers. Again does anything work?

If no well further investigation will need to be done.

If yes does anything on the 12 volt side work. If yes you fixed it. If no you will need to start troubleshooting. As mentioned in other comments you will need a multimeter/voltmeter.

The first place I would start is at the converter/charger and measure the output voltage in DC using the multimeter to see if that is working. if you get a 0 reading the converter is either plugged, turned off or has failed. If you get a reading in the 13+ volt range then it is working and you need to move downstream. Has someone inadvertently tripped the battery disconnect switch? Check the DC voltage at the batteries. If you get 13+ this is another way to tell if the converter is working, if at 12+ they have something left in them. If they are below 12 not much will work and possible damage to batteries.

That's it for now. Let us know what happens.

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstone View Post
My cat managed to throw my Store/Use switch, which would've resulted in a similar signature. Assuming you have one, I'd check that first...
Early on in my ownership of this coach, a Dalmatian hurrying out to go to the bathroom, hit my House Battery on/off switch, which is right at the bottom of the master switch panel next to the first step inside the coach, with his 'whip saw' tail. It took me a couple of hours following some of the advice given here, before I sat down in the doorway wondering what to do next. Providence or just good luck took my eyes to the switch and, well you know the rest of the story!

Good luck, and I trust you like your coach; I sure do mine.

Oh yes, the Dal is now across the "Rainbow Bridge" playing with all his friends! His replacement is a female Pembroke Corgi - no tail!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #9

Check batteries.
Pammyjill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #10

Always start w the cheap stuff first. Fuses, relays, batteries, Converters/inverters. Good luck.
Pammyjill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyfree View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE. When I lost all power, I found a small yellow lever-like switch in the battery compartment on driver's side in last compartment towards rear of coach where the power cord is also located. On the wall of the battery compartment where power lines are coupled you will find a small yellow switch tucked up into its place. If the switch is tripped, it will be hanging down. Just push it back into place and all power should be restored. If the switch is in place (i.e. not thrown e.g. hanging down) then start the more difficult suggestions in this forum. A call to Thor Emergency (877) 500-1020 is generally a very helpful source.
Tuscany XTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical