Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Help my macerator stopped

I was dumping black went well then switched to grey and just started cavitating but nothing pumped then just shut off maybe fuse?
Kkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Could be a fuse, but may have something restraining the blades on the inside of the pump. Did you try to turn the pump manually to free it up? There should be a rubber grommet on the end opposite the end where the dump hose is connected. Pull out the rubber grommet and you should find the shaft end, where you can either use a screwdriver or a small hand healed drill with the correct bit to turn the macerator and free it up.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

Thank you I'll try it! I confirmed the 20 amp fuse is blown but still trying to figure out why.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Carolina Campers

If something jammed it up (e.g.: TP, Wet Wipes, lose screw, etc), that may have blown the fuse. Let's hope it blew the fuse versus burn out the pump.

If you have a stinky slinky, you can quickly disconnect the hose from the drain (versus the end that hooks up to the macerator) and simply dump the old fashioned way. If you do that, remember to wear gloves, it can get messy as the hose may be full of liquid. I have had to do that, and if you do this carefully, after disconnecting the hose, you may be able to dump it directly into the stinky slinky hose before connecting it. Just be sure the other end of the stinky slinky is already hooked to the drain.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Btw, the reason I mentioned the lose screw is that when I got my new Thor Challenger, they had left maybe ten or more screws in one or both of the tanks, which came out into the macerator hose when I went to dump. It clogged the macerator. They had to replace the macerator, but it was under warranty.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Carolina Campers

I don't know if your macerator pump is inside a grey plastic box, but if so, and if needed, you can remove the pump by simply taking off the top of the box that is screwed to the bottom with screws in the corners. The pump is self contained and should simply be able to be lifted out of the box. The wires to the switch are connected to the side of the pump. The switch should be able to be removed from the box by simply removing the nut on the outside of the switch that sticks through the box wall. The reason I mention this is that, if necessary, this should make it easier to work on clearing the pump in the event it is jammed. To do that, you would disconnect the hose from the pump and you can use something like a screwdriver or a long needle nosed pliers to remove any debris from the neck of the pump that may be stuck in the empellers.

Anyway, those are simply some comments that may help deal with this, not so present, issue.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
If you have a stinky slinky, you can... simply dump the old fashioned way. If you do that, remember to wear gloves, it can get messy...

One more point, remember to close the drains before disconnecting the hose....
Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which brand and type of Macerator?

I have a Flo-Jet portable (At least I think that is the brand)

On the non-pump end of the motor is a shaft with a slot, You can take a flat blade screwdriver, a quarter, a flat hnk of metal and turn the pump shaft by turning that slotted shaft, Attempt to turn in the same direction as the pump (You can figure that out by looking at the outlet connection, pump turns TOWARD the outlet.. It should turn fairly easily.

On the portable there is a fuse in the switch handle, it's on the bottom under a rubber cap, 20 amp blade type.

Mounted systems.. I suspect the slot, Can not help with fuse.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #9

Thank you I found the fuse in fuse panel. I'll try that as it is flo jet brand and really easy to reach. Outside compartment after work tonight I'm going to work on it.

Thanks again