Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Hooking up Satellite Dish

I have a 2012 Thorace 29.1 and have recently purchased a portable tripod satellite dish. Just wondering if anyone has done the same, and how you wired it so that both livingroom and bedroom TV can tune in to one satellite receiver. I'm thinking that if the dish wired to the outside cable input, the receiver can be hooked to the coax behind the living room TV and then into TV, but that would not allow viewing in the bedroom. |I'm open to running some more coax, but would like some guidance first.

Thanks
Ron
Ron Lechner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

I have a single receiver for one TV. i had to run a separate cable under the chassis, and out the rear. the cable needed nothing in its way of blocking a signal. Then coupled the cables together (portable cable) to power our satellite dish (tailgater)
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

Sat requires direct cable to the receiver without any spliters or switches in line.

After that, if you want HI Def over the HDMI output from the receiver, you'll need to run HDMI cables from the receiver to the TVs, that's if the receiver has two HDMI outputs, if not you might try an HDMI splitter, but you'll still need to run those cables. Not as simple as jacking it into your existing splitter.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Generally Thor's from plant 750 have a coach splitter in the lead coax from the outside. This must be removed from the system or by passed with solid coax. In other words the LNB needs a home run to the receiver/DVR. My coach splitter was located just behind the antenna power supply and was accessed by removing the power supply switch cover plate and pulling the coax out. I mounted a through-wall connector on the bottom of the switch plate and used the coach's coax to feed that connector. From the new connector, I made a coax lead to the DirecTV green splitter and another from the green splitter to the receiver/dvr. I made a coax loop from the antenna power supply back to the coach's splitter, so I could use the antenna. The green splitter needs a power supply to power the LNB and if you use a video bridge (I do) then it needs a coax to the green splitter also. If you plan on using the campgrounds cable hookup sometime you need to loop a coax from the green splitter in the line from the through-wall connector to the coach's splitter to pull cable signals back to the antenna power supply connector.

I thought I might say wireless is the way to go with hold-home video in a RV. Each TV needs a C-41W client near the TV and a short HTMI lead to the TV. That's all; no coax or long HTMI runs. The HR-44/54 can support three different TV wirelessly through the video bridge.

I use a Satlooklite meter to align the dish. The meter can be programed so that it only locks on to the 101 degree satellite which makes setup simple. Since the DirecTV galaxy is only 4 degrees wide adjusting the tilt is seldom necessary. Subtract your lat from 90 degrees and that is the approx elevation; point the dish toward the south and the meter will point you to the best signal by telling you the signal strength and error rate of the signal. The meter powers the LNB during search so no need to string a single line coax until you are total setup
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite