Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

House Battery Connections

2016 Four Winds 31L Class C- House Battery connections. I removed my house battery over the winter and I neglected to take a picture or label the leads. There are 2 red cables and 1 black cable. I have been advised that the red cables go to the positive terminal and the black cable goes to the negative terminal, which makes sense. I had them backwards for about two weeks, but no problem with any lights or appliances when plugged in to shore power. I unplugged after camping and the water pump worked to flush out the black tank. The battery is reading very low (10.75 V), bu there is still enough power to light up the level meter LEDs, including the one that comes on when I turn on the water pump. Based on the advice above I re-connected the house battery so that the 2 red cables went to the positive terminal and the 1 black cable to the negative terminal. The result is that none of the LEDs on the level meter light, and the ON LED for the water pump does not come on. Can anyone explain??
hahnmark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have blown the converter reverse polarity fuses by doing this. However, you say that when connected to shore power everything worked!

Most of your loads (lights, etc) wouldn't care about reverse polarity, but the converter would as would anything electronic connected to the 12 volt system.

The LEd indicators are all out, indicating a dead battery.

Disconnect the batteries and plug into shore power. If the lights and pumps and LED indicators work under this test, the converter is working and the reverse polarity fuses are OK. If they are not, based on your description, you will probably find them in the lower portion of your fuse panel.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

House Battery Connections

Scott,
Thanks for taking the time to consider my plight, here is how everything turned out. I followed the black cable back to a bolt into the chassis, which I originally thought was a ground. Upon closer inspection of that "ground" several other cables were also connected to it, all red cables. Turns out that this "ground" is actually a "hot hub" that is insulated from the chassis with a rubber o-ring at the bottom. Some other internet surfing revealed that in residential house wiring, a black cable is often used as the hot lead, so possibly since this is a house battery, maybe they used black as the hot lead. In short, I hooked the black cable up to the positive terminal and the two red leads to the negative terminal of a new battery and all is well. So the only time that I had the old battery hooked up backwards (only for a few minutes) there apparently was no damage to the inverter fuses. I am guessing that is because that battery was practically dead at the time. Thanks again for your help.

Mark
hahnmark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now that you have them connected correctly, label them for piece of mind next time.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery