Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Hurricane 29M awning troubles

I have a 2016 Hurricane 29M recently out of warranty. The awning has recently stopped working. I've checked the awning fuse and continuity on the switch both of which checked out ok. When I try to put out the awning and hit the switch it will sometimes go out about 1 foot and then immediately retract back in. This seems to imply to me that the motor is at least functioning at getting power.

Any ideas on places to check? Is there a controller panel somewhere, if so where? I was thinking the "high wind" sensor may have gone bad and this causes the awning to immediately retract when I can occasionally get it to go out about 1 foot.

All suggestions appreciated.
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Call thor customer service. They will help troubleshoot your problem.
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Call thor customer service. They will help troubleshoot your problem.
Thanks, I did that and they weren't much help. He confirmed there was no awning controller. This doesn't seem to make much sense to me as the awning has to have a logic board to come in during high winds or not be able to go out while the vehicle is moving. I would have thought there was a controller board similar to the slide out but Thor customer service said otherwise. Unless this logic/safety mechanism is built into the awning motor.

Still looking for possible solutions as I dread taking into the idiots at campingworld.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

The awning arm need to be lubed on a regular basis, you need a tall ladder! The arm springs help when retracting the awning but the motor has to push against them when extending. Use a ladder and get just below the awning, pull on the awning while a helper holds the switch. Even if you only get the awning part way out you should be able to spray on something like silicone. If that doesn't help call the awning manufacturer for assistance.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
The awning arm need to be lubed on a regular basis, you need a tall ladder! The arm springs help when retracting the awning but the motor has to push against them when extending. Use a ladder and get just below the awning, pull on the awning while a helper holds the switch. Even if you only get the awning part way out you should be able to spray on something like silicone. If that doesn't help call the awning manufacturer for assistance.
Thanks for the suggestion, I lubricated all the awning arms and tried to pull out while engaging the switch and the same thing happened, the awning goes out about 6-12 inches and then immediately retracts. Afterwards the out function doesn't work for a short period of time and then I can repeat the process.

Given the conditions I am convinced my problem has to do with the wind sensor. Logically the wind sensor would disengage the control for a certain period of time. The reason it goes out is because it must take a few seconds for the wind sensor to engage. This seems to be the only logical explanation as the motor works smoothly for the first few seconds before it retracts.

Anyone know where the wind sensor is located and how I can bypass to test my theory?
Old 08-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

I have s tuscany with carefree awnings with same problem no one at carefree can help . If anyome can tell me where the wind sensor is please post,
jolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

I have never worked on my awning......yet.

So take this for what it's worth. Maybe the motor is kicking out from thermal/amperage overload. Due to binding or internal obstruction. It resets after a cool down period and then is ready to attempt opening again.

Carefree's website has a "Support & Service" tab near the top. Under that is "replacement parts" tab. You can select your awning and get a parts diagram that may help figure out the problem.

https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...vletController

Hope you figure it out!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
I have never worked on my awning......yet.

Carefree's website has a "Support & Service" tab near the top. Under that is "replacement parts" tab. You can select your awning and get a parts diagram that may help figure out the problem.

Hope you figure it out!
Thanks for the lead. I contacted Thor to find out the awning make and model and they never replied. I thought it might be a Dometic awning but looking at their website didn't show anything that looked like mine. Looking at the carefree website it looks like I have the Latitude model. The manual shows where the sensor is located and the wiring. My next step is to try and bypass the sensor to see if the awning works.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

EXCUSE ME FOR BARGING IN:

I have 2017 Thor Hurricane and have had a small problem with my awning, the rear "outside motor cover" on the awning blew off while traveling down the road (never saw it, didn't find it)...
THOR was most gracious and ordered me another from CAREFREE AWNING motor cover, and it was shipped to my house...
My question is, the instructions say " when the power is ON, the "Direct Response System" is active!@#$%..If I turn the unit on to "STORE" instead of "USE", does that turn the "Direct System" OFF?
Or do I need to disconnect the batteries?
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

I've had the same problem with the rear awning cover. Thor sent me a replacement; it was beyond warranty but an 'existing issue' noted during warranty. I was very pleased to receive the and put it on with no problem. Last night I noticed that it is once again missing. If Thor will send another one or tell me where I can get one I guess I'll have to 'glue it on' to keep it. Not what I expected!
rihlefeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, hurricane