RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Hurricane 34J vs Itasca Sunstar 35B

My wife and I have been shopping for a used motorhome for sometime now, planning to go full-time this summer. Right now we are looking at a 2016 Thor Hurricane 34J for about $70,000. We love the floor plan, although we wish the bathroom were larger.

On the other hand we've been looking at a 2014 Itasca 35B with all the bells and whistles for about $90,000. Similar floor plan, although it has the TV in the wrong place, but has 1 1/2 baths.

My question is about the quality of build. I toured a Hurricane last week and worried about just how durable it is compared to a Winnebago/Itasca. The price difference is pretty big. But how about reliability? So, Thor owners, I'm asking you! Have you found that the bargain price = cheap materials and low durability? If we buy the Hurricane will we be regretting it every time the bathroom door jams or a cabinet won't close or a hose splits? I know that Winnebago/Itasca owners will say the extra money is worth it. But they are prejudiced! That's why I'm asking you!

Jeff

MilesAndSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #2

Regardless of what you may hear, Winnebago has the same problems as any other coach! My wife and I just bought our second Thor in June if that is any recommendation!!! As far as 1 1/2 baths, will you really use both? I would go with the floor plan you like the best. My humble opinion as a 40+ year rver.

soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also shopping for a coach in that size. Based on reading many reviews here and in other forums seems that Thor quality has only recently improved significantly. Don't see either where Winnebagos, Newmars, or Tiffins are trouble free.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

We have had our Hurricane for 10 months and 10,100 miles. The only problems were a blown fuse and a loose wire to the water heater. The dealer, MHSRV, fixed then when we dropped by. TV across from the couch, big shower, outside kitchen and overhead bunk were must haves. No regrets on the manufacture and floor plan so far.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased a 34J May 25, 2016. My biggest issue has not been a Thor problem. They now use the Carefree of Colorado lateral arm awning. My first trip out one of the arms broke. Then I started to loose end caps. Newer style is not always better.
As far as the bathroom it is large enough that we have no problems (both of us are twice the size we were when we got married 42 years ago). We also use an adjustable shower rod with a curtain across above the control panel to the bunk bed. That gives us a little more privacy when we have our children or grandchildren with us.
Buy the one you like the best, they all will have issues from time to time. At $90000 for the Winnebago for a few dollars more you can buy a new Thor and have a warranty. Hope I may have helped a little and best wishes on your transition to full timers.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #6

Have had our 2015 34j for three years now and love it. I looked at the Itasca 35b as well and liked the Thor Floorplan way better. I think the 34j has more storage all around. So far the coach has been good to us with no major issues.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
We got our Hurricane 35C last April and had a couple of minor issues that were solved by the dealer quickly. We traded an older Itasca Sunflyer for our Hurricane. There were some minor differences in build quality, but even the Itasca had its issues for the 3 years that we owned it.

Overall, we are very pleased with Thor quality and responsiveness. We have emailed Thor to get design drawings and other information and they have been quick to respond and also worked with our dealer to add some things that we wanted after the sale.

Tags
hurricane, itasca