Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #1

First of all let me say how happy that I was to have been pointed to this forum ( By OZMAN frm Rv.net..Thank you so much!!) and to have found other Hurricane owners like myself...I have the 2007 34B and like several others on here, we love our Hurricane but I have some issues and concerns with the overall handing and stability..I'm referring to the amount of push I get from passing semis and moderate to high winds...I believe the 2007 model comes with front and rear sway bars and a front trac bar..is that correct? and based upon my readings here today, there seems to be a consensus that adding a SteerSafe and a rear trac bar( I assume like a Davis TruTrac) should greatly enhance the stability..is that a fair statement? Any and all comments/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated..for the longest time, I had convinced myself that it was me having the issue and not the MH but it was such a relief to see others talking about the same thing here on this forum..

I look forward to hearing from you all....

Owen
owheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #2

First of all let me say how happy that I was to have been pointed to this forum ( By OZMAN frm Rv.net..Thank you so much!!) and to have found other Hurricane owners like myself...I have the 2007 34B and like several others on here, we love our Hurricane but I have some issues and concerns with the overall handing and stability..I'm referring to the amount of push I get from passing semis and moderate to high winds...I believe the 2007 model comes with front and rear sway bars and a front trac bar..is that correct? and based upon my readings here today, there seems to be a consensus that adding a SteerSafe and a rear trac bar( I assume like a Davis TruTrac) should greatly enhance the stability..is that a fair statement? Any and all comments/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated..for the longest time, I had convinced myself that it was me having the issue and not the MH but it was such a relief to see others talking about the same thing here on this forum..

I look forward to hearing from you all....

Owen
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The following posts may help you POSTS and the rear trac will look similar to this Hardware You would order the one for your Ford chassie
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What chassis do you have, owheaton ?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #5

I am the ozman . I just got to Cape Cod last night and with high winds all the way down it was still an easier ride with the rear trac bar.I felt the winds but didnt get blown all over the place the way I used to.Like I wrote before,your chassis has a lot of add ons from factory.Look at a steering stabilizer(safe t plus,etc.) and a rear trac bar.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #6

WEll then I can thank you in person over here...I have founds lots of great info here and I really appreciate the fact that you lead me over here!! Much appreciated!!

I am about to pull the trigger on both the rear trac bar and the steering stabilizer as you recommended..but was going with the SteerSafe as opposed to the SafeTPlus...is there much difference between the two? Any particular reason you'd go with one over the other?

Owen
Old 06-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #7

This one is for Max49..I have the ford F-53..

Owen
Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by owheaton:
WEll then I can thank you in person over here...I have founds lots of great info here and I really appreciate the fact that you lead me over here!! Much appreciated!!

I am about to pull the trigger on both the rear trac bar and the steering stabilizer as you recommended..but was going with the SteerSafe as opposed to the SafeTPlus...is there much difference between the two? Any particular reason you'd go with one over the other?

Owen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are very welcome.We all share a love of our RV's.This site has been great to let us have brand specific sub sites.
I chose the safe t plus because of what I read about it.But they both come with strong recomendations,so either one should settle the wander.After all the other possibilities are gone thru(air pressure,load,front end alignment,etc) is when I bit the bullet and started the mods.I am very happy with my results. Post often and share your results with us.Also,I will be at the factory in a couple weeks,so if you have other questions post here and I will torture the tour guide.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #9

owheaton - I also have an 07 34b and installed the Safe-T-Steer stabilizer roughly 2 weeks ago. I left on a 2100 mile trip the next day and noticed a huge difference. There was no more "white knuckling it" down the highway. I felt very little push from semi's or larger vehicles. I did notice that when smaller SUV's would pass me at higher speeds that it would push me more than semi's. Overall though, I'm very happy with the SS and will be moving on to the rear trac bar in the near future, just still trying to decide which manufacturer I'd like to go with.

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #10

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my issues with stability and handling..I took the advice of some folks here and added a Steer Safe and a Super Steer Rear Trac Bar...and the difference was like night and day!! Is all the sway gone??....No but it is 70% percent better than it was prior to adding these two devices..Thanks for all your help!!!

Owen
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If what you are calling sway is the side to side rocking which results in steering corrections, you may need to look into anti-roll bars and heavier shocks.

We had a E450 class C that rolled like a big ship and the anti-roll bars and shocks fixed it right up. You can check them out at iPD USA

They change their name to RoadMaster
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #12

The 2006 Ford chassis comes stock with front and rear sway bars,bilstien shock and front track.Pretty good job for stock.I believe our handeling issues are because of the length of MH built on a short wheelbase.The supersteer corrects most of it, thanks for the follow up.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My E450 came with "stock" anti-roll bars in rubber bushings. They were pretty wimpy. The iPD (RoadMaster) bars were about 50% larger in diameter and could control the roll.

Best money I ever spent on the coach.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #14

Ken, thanks . I may look into them,someday.It still bothers me a little that we have to invest more money into these rigs after buying them new.I think a lot of people assume they have to live with sway and such.I am way to anal,if there is an improvement out there I will look into it.