Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hurricane Step Retracted Itself

2007 Thor 4winds Hurricane.
While hooked to shore power for a month, the steps retracted during the night and will not extend. I have not checked anything except that the step light is not coming on when the door opens.
The steps had been out for over a month while the coach sits. The switch by the door was set so the steps stayed out unless the engine was running.
Where do I start?
Thanks for your help.

Tow Dolly with Mini Cooper Countryman R60
OldWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWrench View Post
2007 Thor 4winds Hurricane.
While hooked to shore power for a month, the steps retracted during the night and will not extend. I have not checked anything except that the step light is not coming on when the door opens.
The steps had been out for over a month while the coach sits. The switch by the door was set so the steps stayed out unless the engine was running.
Where do I start?
Thanks for your help.
The steps are powered by the engine battery.
Turn your boost switch on and fire off the big engine, most likely the start battery is low on voltage, so the steps will retract....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I started the engine and did not notice any difference. The coach battery was up. I can start the engine again and try the step to see if it will open.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Also check to see if the sensor that is embedded in the door and it's corresponding sensor on the door frame are clean and match up, I bumped ours on the former coach and the step went into hiding,and check that the switch in the stairwell is turned on.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The switch and door magnet are in place. I took a pocket magnet and ran it around the frame mounted switch but did not hear any response. The steps are retracted and staying there. I guess that is better than driving with them out. I fear for my wife getting in and out. It was not easy for her with the steps working. I added a new grab bar to help steady her.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At the Battery Control Center check fuse F3 and F4. F3 is the step motor power (25 amp) and F4 is the switch to keep the steps extended (5 amp). I'm shooting in the dark a bit but I would suspect F4 is blown. Would explain why the steps retracted and the light not coming on. My suggestion is based on the hope that your 07 Hurricane is configured the same as my 06 Hurricane with an Intellitec BCC and Kwikee steps.

Post what you find.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Fixed by replacement

I checked the coach fuses and found they were ok. They also are all 15 amp except the 5 amp for the gas detector. I think 2007 is the year that kwikee changed the control module.
I called my Thor dealer. The technical felt the issue was the door switch because it self activated. He had me cut the wires to see if an open signal and then connect the wires to see if the step would respond. It did not. I was working in freezing rain and snow for short periods of time. My wife had a spell and spent a few days in the hospital and was not supposed to be left alone. Running out of time and ideas, I took the coach back to my THor dealer.
They found the fuse blown. THey blew a new fuse. THey installed a slow blow and smoke rolled out of the step. The control module had melted. They told me I needed to replace the entire step. They said parts to repair a kwikee step were taken off the market by the new owner, Lippert Components.
I am not sure this is true. I found a supplier in elkhart, RV Parts Nation selling a complete Kwikee electric step for $345.
Because I was out of time and our trip was a week away, I told the dealer to get the steps. I waited and waited for them to get a set of steps out of the THOR system. Finally they got the steps and quickly installed them.
Our trip was put back by one day. We lost a little in reserve fees but what is done is done.
My bill was $600 plus tax for the steps and around just under $200 for the labor. Ouch.
Given time, I would have tried getting a new module to see if that was all that it needed. In fact, a module and motor would have been a bargain compared to my bill.
I wanted to note that the blown fuse was located on the chassis in the engine compartment. I had been told by one of you that the steps are fed by the chassis and I laid on my back with my rear on the engine cover and my head beside the brake pedal trying to check the 756 fuses in the fuse block by my feet. There really are not that many. However I could not get my eyes to focus on them and my fingers would not work on the mini fuses. Once I decided I was running out of breath I spent the next few minutes trying to get out of the position. Go ahead and laugh but it is not funny.
So, what happened to my steps. The steps were out for weeks and retracted on their own and blew a fuse. Seeing no corrosion any where I suspect the module gave out and ordered the motor to retract and blew the fuse.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to move a bit further forward to the front of the coach. The fuses for the steps are in the Battery Control Center (BCC) which is all the way up front above the air filter. The BCC also has the solenoids to disconnect the batteries with the switches by the door, the cross connect when you use the AUX start switch and a bunch of other fuses for items Thor installed. The steps, propane and CO detectors, fog lights, horn, dash radio and such.

Looks like this -

The fuse the service center was swapping is on the right in the image but hidden under the cables. I have a PDF copy of the OEM manual for the BCC. If you want a copy send me an personal message thru IRV2 with your email address and I send it to you. Everything I'm posting is with a bit of hope that Thor didn't change the BCC from model year 2006 to 2007.

Besides the fuse panel near your left foot there's a second Ford panel up front also for the chassis. The corner of the box is to the right and a bit lower then the BCC in the image. AKA high current distribution panel. Don't forget the fuse panel for the house power back near the AC breaker panel. Lots of fuses to keep track of and multiple sizes if you carry spares.

One more thing for future referance, to the left of the BCC in the image is the dash heater control valve. It opens and closes based on how far you turned up or down the dash heat.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
PDF

Please send me the pdf again. I have lost it.
My batteries will not disconect when I use the switch near the door. New problem. I need to fix that when the weather warms up a bit.
Thanks,
pjhannon@frontier.com

Tags
electric steps, hurricane, kwikee