Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #6203
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to all with the Wiper issue. It is a common late GenII problem. Typically a part in the arm base assembly twists and allows the arm to drop, bind, and sometimes break.

"Thor being Thor" for warranty repairs is, unfortunately directly connected to the service center's skills and abilities to diagnose and remedy issues.

If XYZ Service Center is factory authorized...they tell TMC what is the issue, get the authorization and fix the problem.

Unfortunately, TMC's dealerships work on a thinner margin than the "premium" brands. Thinner margin means less staff, and the staff they have are not going you be the most experienced/skilled/proficient.

I submit that if it was all on the factory, the factory service center in Wakarusa would have the same reputation as much of the dealerships...but it is widely respected.

If getting poor warranty service, maybe getting a second opinion would prove wise.

After the warranty expires, you don't have to play these games. TMC models are built using very common and easily available parts. We have done everything we needed by DIY and will use specific vendors in the case an issue is beyond DIY.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #6204

Unfortunately this is an unsafe engineering design and manufacture. Having lead quality engineering departments for over 10 years, I understand deeply customer service and resources needed. I have taken my Outlaw to 9 different services centers over the last 3.5 years. The Thor service center was the 2nd best. Their team is knowledgeable and understands the customer. Its Customer Service Quality group that needs a new leader, not the service center.

Getting back to the point with the wiper issue. There is no service center that can remedy this issue. Thor Quality needs to drive THC Engineering to provide a final fix to keep their customers safely driving down the road in rain.

I have spent countless hours reviewing posts on this forum and would have long ago traded in my Outlaw if it wasn’t for the great DIY posts. If anyone has designed a wiper system modification pleas share.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #6205
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalSports View Post
Unfortunately this is an unsafe engineering design and manufacture. (sic)

Getting back to the point with the wiper issue. There is no service center that can remedy this issue. Thor Quality needs to drive THC Engineering to provide a final fix to keep their customers safely driving down the road in rain.

I have spent countless hours reviewing posts on this forum and would have long ago traded in my Outlaw if it wasn’t for the great DIY posts. If anyone has designed a wiper system modification pleas share.
Hey wait...the wipers are acquired from a third party vendor. It is not a TMC designed thing - right?

Companies that make them include Denso, Moretech, Wexco, and others.
Are you saying it is a company named THC engineering?

Ours are very different (center park) so cannot be any help with a permanent fix.
Click image for larger version

Name:	8338148_2-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	236594
Not our Outlaw...just a pic already on my tablet...but the same nose.

I nominate you, with your superior experience in engineer to find a fix. Do it for yourself with the knowledge that you will help hundreds of other owners
Plus, we know the factory Reps read iRV2 for customer feedback

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #6206

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post
I am second owner of a 2016.5 Outlaw. Having continuous issues with the wipers (in the rain, they rotate past the limit and twitch). I tried sealing the wiring loom connectors, no luck.

What’s the current consensus on how to address this?

1. Fix it myself, how?
2. Pay service center to fix it? Is this a full replace? Or what parts need to be replaced?
3. Or is there a recall or way to get Thor to fix this? Who should I contact? Thor directly? Dealer?

So there is no known fix? Mine is not drivable in the rain. Big issue!
jpzeroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #6207

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post
So there is no known fix? Mine is not drivable in the rain. Big issue!
jpzeroday - Check out this link for recall info:

https://www.rvtravel.com/thor-recall...stalled-wrong/

I have a 2016 as well - before the repair, my wipers looked like a couple of octopus arms flailing around on my windshield... Good luck and safe travels
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #6208
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post

I have a 2016 as well - before the repair, my wipers looked like a couple of octopus arms flailing around on my windshield... Good luck and safe travels
Thanks Boats!!

I did not notice this recall before
Going to link this to the Mods and Fixes thread

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #6209

Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post

Any description or pictures of the repair? I've got my passenger wiper off now.
I'll do it myself if I can figure out what to do. I've considered smaller wipers or a stop bracket on the arms to stop the over rotation.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #6210

Mileage milestone achieved in my 2008 OTL while on trip back from Indian Wells CA last week
(Knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #6211
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Mileage milestone achieved in my 2008 OTL while on trip back from Indian Wells CA last week
[IMG][/IMG]
CONGRATS!!

You are our resident Road Warrior
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #6212

Can someone confirm the correct air mattress size for the convertible couch in a 2016.5 LS?

Thanks!

Heading out for first trip of Spring! Weather looks beautiful in Southern CA along the coast.
jpzeroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #6213

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Man we are close! We have 49,516 miles. No wonder we are both doing a bunch of maintenance at the same time.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #6214
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unhappy Bye bye 38GP

Seems the over-the-top Outlaw with two patios (37GP) has been discontinued for the 2020 model year.

Name:	unit_tech_drawing_20170927055909374146193.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	245741

See:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outla...a/floor-plans/

So, new buyers are down to the RB (original Real Bedroom & loft) and the MB (Massive Bedroom ceilings [for height] in the bedroom and garage sleeping areas) with the same 13'6" roofline as all other Outlaws, but which has no loft..

And, new for 2020 are "new interior finishes and colors." Not sure what that is, but it is always good to refresh the line.

Opinions?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #6215
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello 2020 Outlaw 29S

Buyers for a New Outlaw have a new Class C offering...with a side door ramp for the garage.

Name:	2020-outlaw-class-c-29s-floor-plan.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	245742
Released in October 2018:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...ml#post4450298
See:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outla...c/floor-plans/

At only 30'3" overall, this Outlaw offers a dedicated Den/Theater Room/Bedroom (featuring a sofa/Murphy bed)...but the garage is a bit smaller than previous versions (others are 8'x8') at 8' wide by 6" front to rear...and that's still plenty of room for many quads and/or 2 motorcycles, of course.

Opinions?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #6216

Ya, I never thought that the 2 patio floorplan was very workable, not surprised to see it go away. It sure seems like Thor has lately been throwing a lot of OTL floorplans to the wall, just hoping something will stick, but then giving up on them quickly. Especially since they dropped the original and long successful 3601/LS models. Here I will now insert my standard time-worn refrain of "Just bring back the 3808 with the 12' garage, loft and yet decently sized salon".

That class C OTL actually looks nice, livable and compact if you only need to haul one cycle or quad.

So last week I completed another OTL bucket-list item: Parking with the deck over beachfront property.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also discovered another useful aspect of the deck: It can become instant shade cover. The beach sloped down toward the water, so the back edge of the deck was 5' high, perfect for chillax-ing in the sand while being shaded. We could even rig a line from handle to handle to hold the leash and keep the dog in place.
[IMG][/IMG]
And my new removable cocktail table performed its tasks admirablyhttp://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post4729349

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw