RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #6371

Thor Owners Club
Loft Sleeping

I concur that the loft is very comfortable. I am 67 with a back issue and the stairs pose no problem. While there is no way I am ever going to try and get up onto the cab-over bunk with a ladder, the loft has headroom and access that makes it very useful.

I cannot tell a lie. Because the loft is not directly visible, I seldom make the bed up during the day.

RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #6372
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrken View Post
We have a 2014 LS and would not even consider a toy hauler without the loft. The loft is very comfortable and saves so much space. We are 57 and 60 and I have a very bad back from a car accident. The loft was a concern for us before purchase but after having it for a while it is so much better to have the extra space in the living area and not have a traditional bedroom, or something that needs stowed after every use.

I sleep on the cabinet side and have removed the panel inside the cabinet next to the TV and installed an outlet in the box behind the TV tapping into the TV outlet for power. This give me a place to plug my phone in at night and I leave the cabinet door open with the phone on top of it while charging. Since my back issues cause me to wake up frequently I can just peek at the phone and decide if it is too early to get up. Better than our house as far as I am concerned.
AMEN!!
I sleep on the same side of the loft (aft) too...head toward the drivers side. Our loft holds a Cal-King sized mattress.
The Mrs has an outlet in the night table. I have an extension cord from the TV outlet. Charge phones, alarm clock, CPAP, etc... anything sitting in the end cabinet.

Having the loft makes for the biggest living space and garage possible!
Why anyone would be willing to give-up all that valuable floor space for a bedroom you only use 6-8 hours a day, is a mystery to me.

If Damon/TMC had just made the loft floor on a powered lift to be able to drop into the ceiling space of the garage (only need about the height of the top stair riser to be able to sit upright), there would never have even been any argument.
Just sit on the tread of the top stair to see how roomy it would be. This is a future planned project to help me for when I get past the age of 60
Click image for larger version

Name:	0324131659.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	277570

Click image for larger version

Name:	0324131659edit.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	277571

The Loft floor would block the top of the door a bit when dropped...and the garage TV would need to be a bit lower (but not much). No problem in trade for an adult sized loft

Safe Outlaw Travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #6373

I agree that the OTL loft is great for sleeping. Dark, private, always ready and takes up no valuable floor real estate.

IMHO, if a person is unwilling to take the 4-5 steps to use the loft, then that person probably isn't a good candidate to own a class A motorhome, because the entry door requires 6 steps. It seems like a silly point of contention that a lot of people use as an excuse to put down the loft. And apparently Thor is listening to those people as it continues to engineer the loft into more un-usable obsolescence with each new model year.

I think Thor should listen more to the opinions of current owners that have actual experience with the product than to prospective owners. OK, my rant is over
Old 03-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #6374

Thor Owners Club

But I do like the concept of putting the loft on a lift to give it a little more headroom for reading and television. I would have to change up my washer and dryer arrangement, but it would be worth the effort. I do see one drawback to the idea in that the garage is technically sealed from the living quarters for fumes and fire safety. Could be a bit of a concern.

With the bike loaded, the loft could come down plenty in my case.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #6375
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post

But I do like the concept of putting the loft on a lift to give it a little more headroom for reading and television. I would have to change up my washer and dryer arrangement, but it would be worth the effort. I do see one drawback to the idea in that the garage is technically sealed from the living quarters for fumes and fire safety. Could be a bit of a concern.

With the bike loaded, the loft could come down plenty in my case
I agree, but no problem...
Three walls (front and sides) of a drop-loft could be sealed just like the slide-out ("Sweep" and "Bulb seals").
The rear could be one of be several things...accordion seal, sliding panel seal, drop door panel with seal...etc).
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #6376

Loft

Call me crazy but I want the loft to pop UP not go down. I don't want to lose the garage headroom.

We love our loft bed, remember we are the people who enlarged the loft and removed one set of cabinets and put a king size sleep number bed up there. We have a TV and the previous garage AC unit up there. Love it.

The only thing we hate is changing the sheets - its a pain and I always, always, always whack my head on the lights.
Issaquahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #6377

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issaquahiker View Post
Call me crazy but I want the loft to pop UP not go down. I don't want to lose the garage headroom.
The idea is to put the loft on a lift. For your situation, some additional vertical track on top of some lowering capability might be how you would execute the idea.

This could easily turn into an obsession that I will try and figure out for a project next winter.

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw