RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #6385
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issaquahiker View Post
Call me crazy but I want the loft to pop UP not go down. I don't want to lose the garage headroom.

We love our loft bed, remember we are the people who enlarged the loft and removed one set of cabinets and put a king size sleep number bed up there. We have a TV and the previous garage AC unit up there. Love it.

The only thing we hate is changing the sheets - its a pain and I always, always, always whack my head on the lights.
Ask and ye shall recieve...
Not our RV...but an ingenious way to pop-up that is surely watertight and almost automatic with gas struts to do most lifting?
Appears to be the top from an A-Liner towable:
Click image for larger version

Name:	8338148_4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	281273

Name:	8338148_3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	281274

Like:

And, with optional hard or soft gables
https://aliner.com

My thought on the loft drop-floor, was to maintain the exterior body integrity...but pop-tops are lightweight, with readily systems and parts.

Safe Outlaw Travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #6386

Oh this is so awesome! Thanks!!!!

Issaquahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #6387

A problem I see with this A-frame install is that you would have to remove several of the metal crossbeams that support the roof. I suspect this would reduce the structural integrity of the rear part of the coach, and make that part of the roof un-walkable. Also the ceiling there has A/C venting and electrical wires that would have to be dealt with. This would certainly become a complicated modification.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #6388
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 7.3L Godzilla gas V8 comes to the Outlaw

Here, MHSRV Alvarado, TX is teasing with their first unit (posted as an on-order 2021 unit) having the new engine:
https://www.mhsrv.com/2021-thor-moto...-a-tx-i2723523

Probably will arrive May-June (?).

Now...how long 'till we see the first new FRont Engine Diesel (FRED) Outlaw?
We know Freightliner has resumed that chassis from the early Canyon Star debut
- Discussed here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/cla...ml#post5214652
And TMC has their debut not too far off (barring exigent circumstances, of course).

To recall...the Outlaw had the FRED chassis by FCCC 2008-2010. It was killed by Freightliner due to the big recession. And this FRED is reportedly improved with airbag rear suspenion and airbrakes, standard.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #6389

Thor Owners Club
Ramp Door Spring

I had to add an extension to my ramp so the pipes wouldn't drag when loading and unloading. Basically, I added flip down ramps for the rear wheels of the trike. This added some weight to the ramp and I'm wondering if I can increase the tension on the springs. They don't appear to be very meaty, so I'm asking if anyone has ever had to make any adjustments to the tension spring and if it is already maxed out with the weight of the basic ramp. Thanks! -Carl-
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #6390

Sorry RI Ex, my OTL has the gas prop system for the ramp door, no springs. I think RV.Driver did some mods to his springs, maybe search his posts. (What ever happened to him, he had fantastically informative posts?)

WooHoo, I turned over 60,000 miles on my 2008 OTL during this trip. And yes, I like my new clunky clock from Target. It has a button that will keep it illuminated for night driving, much better than fumbling with my cell phone (Like I did for this photo op).
[IMG][/IMG]

On the downside, I had my first OTL flat tire, on a inner dually. Thankfully, my fortunate luck of having things break or fail in convenient locations continues. I was on a lunch break at a busy I-80 interchange in central Nebraska, and could limp to a farm tire service center 1 mile away. They removed a sizable bolt and were able to patch the large defect. So far so good. When I get back home I think I will purchase 2 new tires for the front, retire the repaired tire, and keep one as a spare. Then retire the other 4 tires next year. Good way to spread the cost.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #6391

Ok, I have acquired 2 new toys for my OTL garage, am driving back to AZ starting tomorrow. I played a few times on how to best fit them in the garage and secure them for transport. Here are my two 2019 Can Am Ryker cycles (His and Hers ).
[/IMG]

Dang, I can't get the photos to load, sorry. But it really did happen.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 PM   #6392

There they are, all tucked in for the 1300 mile trip back to AZ
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #6393

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
There they are, all tucked in for the 1300 mile trip back to AZ
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Ah hah! The reveal!

Pretty cool!
Old 05-16-2020, 05:18 AM   #6394

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Sorry RI Ex, my OTL has the gas prop system for the ramp door, no springs. I think RV.Driver did some mods to his springs, maybe search his posts. (What ever happened to him, he had fantastically informative posts?)
Thanks for the response! I decided to just jump into the deep end of the pool and try and tension the spring myself. Had to get a little creative, but got it to the point where I can raise and lower with minimal effort. If I add any more, it will slam itself. Any less, and it is too heavy to begin to lift.

Love this coach!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #6395

Wow, took me a few hours to go through the thread, but well worth my time. Thank you all for your contributions. We are looking at buying outlaw 37RB, and hopefully contribute our experiences too!

We got these two pictures from the dealer when we were talking about the sway bar mods, and noticed a bunch of rust under chassis. Please see the pictures attached, is this level of rust normal? Some of the bolts and nuts seem pretty bad, the other areas seem more than just surface rust. New to chassis rust here, and the coach is from North East. Could you please share your expert opinions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200623_144645.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	532.5 KB
ID:	291463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_144729.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	291464  

ptnaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #6396

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptnaidu View Post
Wow, took me a few hours to go through the thread, but well worth my time. Thank you all for your contributions. We are looking at buying outlaw 37RB, and hopefully contribute our experiences too!

We got these two pictures from the dealer when we were talking about the sway bar mods, and noticed a bunch of rust under chassis. Please see the pictures attached, is this level of rust normal? Some of the bolts and nuts seem pretty bad, the other areas seem more than just surface rust. New to chassis rust here, and the coach is from North East. Could you please share your expert opinions?
I don't think that sort of rust is normal. I got under my Outlaw (a 2009) for a look and have zero rust under it.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #6397

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I don't think that sort of rust is normal. I got under my Outlaw (a 2009) for a look and have zero rust under it.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback!
ptnaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #6398

So I hauled my 2 newly acquired CanAm Rykers in the OTL for my first trip since bringing them home. Just went up the I-17 about 90 miles to the Prescott NF. Found a nice boondock spot only 1/4 mile off pavement. Here's a photo of the site with the Rykers in the forest.
[IMG][/IMG]

The goal was to ride the twisty mountain hiway up and down Mingus Mtn around Jerome. Here is Jerome in the background. Unfortunately my wife had a work emergency and couldn't drive up later to ride her bike, so I gave it a good workout, too.
[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw