Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Does any one have a hard wired 50 amp surge protector in there outlaw. We have been thinking of that.

Yes, we had one installed when we purchased our Outlaw.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #3208

Thanks Steve, your a wiz.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #3209

We have listed our 2014 37LS in the classifieds here on IRV2. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link (Steve please let me know). If you know of anyone looking for an Outlaw please consider pointing them towards our classified ad. Thanks!
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #3210

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Scott (Focker) did that install.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1819507

But there is no longer a need...I believe the new Outlaws have a power cord socket inside the service bin for the shore power cord vs. a hard wire shore power cord. So, you can simply put a portable in the socket inside the bin, then plug the cord into the end of the portable and lock it up.

Yes that is much smarter so if there is a problem with the EMS you can just unplug it and go direct with the power cord. I did hard wire mine and have a video of the install on Youtube but I would go this route in the future.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #3211

We look at your mod on this Focker, nice. We're going to watch the video.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #3212

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPYCAMPER2 View Post
Good news. Got a call from Camping World of Chattanooga, TN service dept. that my 2015 Outlaw 37LS is finally repaired and I can pick it up Monday. I have owned it exactly 100 days today and it has been in the shop for repairs 59 days. But I am glad to get it back. I just hope I can use it without any major issues.
Wonderful news! Can you let us know what they did? I'm taking mine to the factory in March for the windshield fix. We're passing by the area anyway, so we figured it would be the best thing to do.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #3213

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Yes that is much smarter so if there is a problem with the EMS you can just unplug it and go direct with the power cord. I did hard wire mine and have a video of the install on Youtube but I would go this route in the future.
Probably better to put this in the mods thread, but here's the issue...
The cable that comes with the Outlaw has a locking plug on the side that plugs into the rig. The portable units don't seem to be able to accommodate this. I was looking for a short (1' or so) cable with a locking plug on one side (to go into the rig) and a standard plug on the other (to go into the EMS). Even this was an issue though, because the other side of the EMS still can't accept the locking plug. This renders the long cable that comes with the outlaw useless and requires the purchase of new cables at a hefty price.

My solution is to buy a set of plug ends that can be used for the EMS. Then I will cut the stock cable and attach the plugs so that I can plug the EMS without spending big bucks for something I pretty much already have. It's a simple fix that will only take a few minutes and solve the problem.

Unless someone has a better idea... I'm all ears!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #3214

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scarab0088 the pic you posted with the extra Air Cond/Heater above the garage is the one we purchased. The drive home went well and we just tucked it away for the winter. Hit the house battery disconnect and plan on starting it every 30 days to keep the batteries charged or should we pull the batteries??? Winter has come to Northern Michigan so we are busy reading these and other threads to help get a better feel for our Outlaw.
deacon3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #3215
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Probably better to put this in the mods thread, but here's the issue...
The cable that comes with the Outlaw has a locking plug on the side that plugs into the rig. The portable units don't seem to be able to accommodate this. I was looking for a short (1' or so) cable with a locking plug on one side (to go into the rig) and a standard plug on the other (to go into the EMS). Even this was an issue though, because the other side of the EMS still can't accept the locking plug. This renders the long cable that comes with the outlaw useless and requires the purchase of new cables at a hefty price.

My solution is to buy a set of plug ends that can be used for the EMS. Then I will cut the stock cable and attach the plugs so that I can plug the EMS without spending big bucks for something I pretty much already have. It's a simple fix that will only take a few minutes and solve the problem.

Unless someone has a better idea... I'm all ears!
If I understand...the cord end at the RV is a Hubbell/MarinCo style connector(?)

Hmmmm...
If so, then why not just get the surge protector that is made for those plugs like:
Surge Guard® Marine | Technology Research Corporation

Of course, cutting/swapping the plugs on a RV surge protector would work too...
50 Amp 125/250V | Marinco

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #3216
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon3212 View Post
Scarab0088 the pic you posted with the extra Air Cond/Heater above the garage is the one we purchased. The drive home went well and we just tucked it away for the winter. Hit the house battery disconnect and plan on starting it every 30 days to keep the batteries charged or should we pull the batteries??? Winter has come to Northern Michigan so we are busy reading these and other threads to help get a better feel for our Outlaw.
Sweet! The Sturgis Shuttle

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-6.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	78686

Here's the post:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2248701

The problem with just hitting the salesman switch for storage is that the batteries will still drain...the switch itself draws some power. I added a mechanical disconnect on the negative terminal (simplest with just 1 cable). The best way to store batteries for an easy return to service in the spring is to use a battery minder type trickle charger on shore or solar power.

For MI, maybe pulling the batteries and storing them inside on a trickle charger would be best. Have you winterized the water system or are you going to keep the RV warm somehow?

Congrats and Best Luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #3217

[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a perfect 36 hours in the OTL. Drive to Tonto National Forest in central AZ to camp Saturday. Get up early Sunday and take the quad 20 miles to the Four Peaks Wilderness (in the background), hike up into the peaks (only get temporarily lost a couple times), quad back to the OTL, and enjoy a couple of diet Mountain Dews on the relaxing Don Deck before loading up and driving home. I love my Damon Outlaw!

So sorry to hear winter is coming to the north already, we're just entering the best time to use our OTL's here in the great southwest.

P.s.: Sounds like we are getting a lot of new OTL owners, congrats on escaping the ordinary!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #3218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
If I understand...the cord end at the RV is a Hubbell/MarinCo style connector(?)

Hmmmm...
If so, then why not just get the surge protector that is made for those plugs like:
Surge Guard® Marine | Technology Research Corporation

Of course, cutting/swapping the plugs on a RV surge protector would work too...
50 Amp 125/250V | Marinco

Best luck
Yes, that looks right (I'm not near my RV to verify). I can't find the marine surge protectors for sale anywhere to see the price but they look perfect - depending on the price .

The nice thing about cutting the cable and adding plugs is that they won't need to be locking plugs - standard 50A plugs will work fine.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #3219

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a perfect 36 hours in the OTL. Drive to Tonto National Forest in central AZ to camp Saturday. Get up early Sunday and take the quad 20 miles to the Four Peaks Wilderness (in the background), hike up into the peaks (only get temporarily lost a couple times), quad back to the OTL, and enjoy a couple of diet Mountain Dews on the relaxing Don Deck before loading up and driving home. I love my Damon Outlaw!

So sorry to hear winter is coming to the north already, we're just entering the best time to use our OTL's here in the great southwest.

P.s.: Sounds like we are getting a lot of new OTL owners, congrats on escaping the ordinary!
Next trip wear shoes!

I'm all winterized and covered up as of last weekend! It's supposed to be a pretty ugly winter this year but I can only hope they're wrong.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #3220

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I'm all winterized and covered up as of last weekend! It's supposed to be a pretty ugly winter this year but I can only hope they're wrong.
There's a solution for that (just ask Steve)... SAN DIEGO!

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw