Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Input on 3-track Schwintek

For those of you with the 3-track Schwintek slide mechanisms, how are they holding out on the full wall slides? Searched this forum but didn't find current information.

I'm researching Tuscany/Venetian lines & I know they've got the 3-track hydraulic ones.

Any updates appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Maybe you know something I don't ...

Our 2014 Tuscany 40RX has two Schwintek slides on the driver's side, and a full-wall hydraulic slide on the passenger side. We've never had any problem with either. From what I've read on various forums, most of the Schwintek problems have involved full-wall slides, implying that the mechanism just isn't robust enough to move that much weight repeatedly. As I understand it, one of the solutions to this problem has been to add a third gear drive and track, as well as stronger motors and stiffer rods.

But you mention "3-track hydraulic ones" -- I think you're confusing the Schwintek slide drives, which use electric motors, with traditional hydraulic-driven slides.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks Mike. I was talking with a salesperson at a Thor dealer & asked him what brand the slide out mechanisms were on the 2016 Tuscany & Venetian coaches & questioned the durability if they were Schwintek mechanisms based on past issues posted here on the 2 track ones installed on the Palazzos. He told me they were Schwintek, hydraulic, not electric & now 3 track on the full wall slides. I've since found the manual (from Lippert) online & they sure don't appear hydraulic from what I read.

Who's hydraulic mechanism do you have on your full wall slide...HWH?

Lori-
Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Well, if the salesman didn't know what he was talking about, that wouldn't be a first!

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Schwintek issues than I am will weigh in, so I defer to them on that. And on re-reading your post, I also think there might be some confusion (between the salesman, you, and me) regarding terms. To me, a "track" on the Schwintek system is on the sides of the slide, and has teeth that the motors push via a gear. A slide will also have "rails" that support it from underneath. My hydraulic full-wall slide has 3 rails (I think, though it's too cold to go outside and look), but no "tracks."

As to the leveling system on my coach, I don't recall offhand, but I'll check tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
..Our 2014 Tuscany 40RX has two Schwintek slides on the driver's side, and a full-wall hydraulic slide on the passenger side.
Sorry Mike. By hydraulic mechanism, I wasn't referring to the jacks. I was referring to the statement you made above. Who's hydraulic slide do you have on that side? It sounds to me as if it isn't Schwintek.

Lori-
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I think that in most cases the entire hydraulic system will be from the same manufacturer, though it might include components made by others. In any case, though, as far as I know Schwintek (which is now owned by Lippert, I think) only makes the electric motor-driven slides.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 AM   #7

Tuscany & Venetian Slide Systems

Lori,

Palazzo & Tuscany XTE use Schwintek slide systems whereas the Tuscany and Venetian models do not.

I have a Tuscany XTE 40GQ with 4 slides, 3 with Schwintek and one with above the floor electric motors. I have the 3 track on my kitchen slide and it works as advertised and I have single tracks on the two small bedroom slides and they also work just fine. My above the floor curb side slide have two heavy gear shafts with a large single electric motor. It also works fine.

At the Thor Diesel Club fall international rally last October Total Value RV had M37 & A40 Venetian models and it looks like Thor has released a third model T42 that has a tag. One of our members ordered the A40 at the fall rally and they take delivery soon.

Hope this information helps?

Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That helps a lot, Jack. Thanks!

Today I did talk further with another salesman from Total Value & he did confirm the slide mechanisms on both Tuscany & Venetian are hydraulic & beefy enough to handle the full wall slides. They're excited about the Venetian line as it sits, pricepoint-wise, between the Tuscany & Tuscany XTE. We got off track, though, discussing iRV2's Int'l Rally being held right next door to them this Sept so I never did get back around to asking who's the mfr of those hydraulic mechanisms.

Lori-
Old 01-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Lori, I just checked, and our hydraulic system is by Lippert -- at least that's what it says on the leveler control pad, so I assume that includes the full-wall slide, as it's on the same system.

Also, I confirmed that my two smaller Schwintek slides have two tracks on each side. (Jack -- the newer Tuscanys may not have Schwintek slides, but my 2014 40RX does.)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks for checking that Mike. May not get a chance to view these until we're at the rally in Sept.

Lori-
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

3 TRAX

Lori,our 2015 Windsport came with a full wall slide. Since it's a 2015 it came with the highly touted, new and improved, 3 TRAX System, which was supposed to do away with slide issues.

Our 3 TRAX slide quit working the first week, along with the auto level system.

Had both fixed, after a month in the THOR approved service center.

Neither system has worked past the day I picked it up a month ago. "Going right back in" required a 6 week wait.

In my opinion the 3 TRAX system is little more than marketing. They had to do something to distance themselves from their slides near 100% failure rate. So fix what should have been SOP from the beginning, higher torque motors, and slap a third rail on for glitz. Then market it to the rubes as new and improved. It's NEITHER.

The problem with most slide outs, after the poor engineering, design, and build quality, is that they are installed incorrectly at the RV factory. They are slapped in on an assembly line with no QA or QC at all. What happens is the bottom rollers, that are supposed to support the weight, are never shimmed up to contact the bottom of the slide! This is 90% of the problem.

Eventually the side hangers, rails, and motors all grenade, resulting in about 4K per slide to repair. Whole wall slides are more.

As far as believing what an RV salesperson tells you?

My recommendation is, if you want a trouble free coach, select a builder other than THOR.

It's one thing that their workmanship is so poor. It's another that they fight you like junk yard dogs to authorize any repairs at all.

Good luck!
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks for your input, LeRoi2. Since you don't have a Venetian or Tuscany, I'm going to assume you have electric mechanisms rather than hydraulic ones. Those are ones I'm still concerned about, but less so the hydraulic ones. I'm hoping the member with the soon to be delivered A40 will have some things to say after they've had some time with it.

Lori-
Old 01-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #13

Build Quality

The difference between electric or hydraulic does not make much difference when it's under engineered, and installed improperly. If I ever buy an RV again, the workmanship will be the biggest deciding factor.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Thanks for your input, LeRoi2. Since you don't have a Venetian or Tuscany, I'm going to assume you have electric mechanisms rather than hydraulic ones. Those are ones I'm still concerned about, but less so the hydraulic ones. I'm hoping the member with the soon to be delivered A40 will have some things to say after they've had some time with it.

Lori-
Lori,

I will be seeing the couple that ordered the A40 at the Tampa Super Show next week and I will point them toward this thread so they can provide their perspective on their new coach. I am not sure if they have taken delivery so it may be a delay if they haven’t.

Safe Travels!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote