Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Inquiry re: Vegas RUV by Thor

Does anyone have any experience with a Vegas RUV by Thor?
rhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

We just purchased a 2016 24.1 this weekend, and are picking it up tomorrow. We have looked for almost two years, and looked at virtually everything out there below $100K. It looks really innovative, and we are excited to get ours. Supposedly, it is built in a different production line at Thor and has much fewer quality issues. We will see. The changes from 2015 to 2016 are pretty good, and include a mattress for the bunk as well as a redesigned bathroom door.
jamurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurr View Post
We just purchased a 2016 24.1 this weekend, and are picking it up tomorrow. We have looked for almost two years, and looked at virtually everything out there below $100K. It looks really innovative, and we are excited to get ours. Supposedly, it is built in a different production line at Thor and has much fewer quality issues. We will see. The changes from 2015 to 2016 are pretty good, and include a mattress for the bunk as well as a redesigned bathroom door.
We purchased an ACE 29.3 two months ago. We had a hard time deciding between it and the Axis 25.2 or 24.1. Still not sure what was the best choice for us. Looking forward to your posts as you get to know your new RV!
triplewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

We looked at the Ace as well as the FR3 before getting the Vegas. My wife felt the most comfortable driving it, and the sleeping arrangements worked out the best for our family, especially at that price point. The others were $12-15k more, and in our opinion didn't offer that much more than the Vegas. The 2016 changes did it for us.
jamurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

Very poor experience so far with Thor Vegas. Poor quality and very poor customer service
dcdavisnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Similar/recent thread here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/2015...es-246869.html

Some specifics...I looked closely at them recently...

The Vegas and Axis are part of a niche' in the RV world that includes only a few RV's in North America, but this size format is very common in Europe.

They are shaped like Class A's but:
Are narrower = easier to drive around.
Are using a stripped E-Series (like the legacy Ford van) chassis that is time tested for endurance.
Have a Ford V10 engine and transmission like the larger RV's, but with independent front suspension (unlike the Ford F53 chassis beam front suspension under all other currently built gas RV's in North America).
They do not come with leveling jacks as standard equipment.

If the smaller floor plan works for you, these can be versatile RV's.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

My wife and I have just returned from a month long trip of 4700 miles from Florida to east coast Canada in a Thor Vegas 24.1 MH. Issues included 2 curtains lost tension, front roof electric fan failed, screw fell out of driver side rear bedroom curtain frame and breaker on 4000 Onsn generator tripped causing no air conditioning until set to normal. I had no other issues despite very poor roads from Georgia to Maine border with Canada. We even had poor roads in Ontario and Quebec as well as New Brunswick our destination. By poor roads I mean rough pavement, bumpy bridges and numerous sections of construction trying to fix poor pavement! The V10 Ford engine was wonderful for performance and definitely works fantastic with premium fuel. I found that out when engine was fussy on large hills. The same fussiness my Lincoln Navigator and 5.4 l engine. Using premium fuel fixed it so I tried it in Vegas and slowly as low test fuel used up got better and better performance so hills were smooth and running 60 to 75 mph was a pleasure! Best fuel economy of course was running 60 to 63 mph. I had many miles to know how to drive it best! Another minor issue, the rear beds were hard until we put 3 inches of memory foam on top of factory mattresses. We then slept very well every night thereafter. Shower is small but after several showers you develop a little routine of your own to cope with it. Dumping required me to use small sitting stool to make the low connection for hose. I used a plastic bin to store hose in rearmost bin with my shore cord. I did buy an extension electrical cord for shore power made of the same heavy power cord as original. I had two 25 ft hoses for drinking water and one 50 ft hose just for water to wash sewer hose after use or other uses for water not used for drinking. We had lots of storage for our month on the road. Overall I had less issues than owning a new 2008 44 ft Fleetwood diesel pusher. Numerous big issues with big slider being worst! This Vegas MH has almost all the big coaches have except whale size! We could explore small towns easily and get into every RV park we wanted. The best of all this coach cost 1/5 the cost of big rig!! We had as good travel experience with this 24.1 as with the big coach and less rattles!
Humbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

The FMCA mag had an article about the RUV by Thor this month. I skimmed through it and came away with the cargo capacity is 1400 lbs. From that you must subtract water, stuff in holding tanks, food, clothes, gear, people & if you tow, the equipment needed to tow. That sure doesn't leave much extra room & I'd be REALLY concerned about weight.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #9

I believe you are wrong with these weights. No coach company would produce a RV unit with 1400 lbs capacity! I have a Vegas 24.1 that has very much higher numbers. My unit books are in it but you must check stats on them to find accurate numbers!!
Humbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
I believe you are wrong with these weights. No coach company would produce a RV unit with 1400 lbs capacity! I have a Vegas 24.1 that has very much higher numbers. My unit books are in it but you must check stats on them to find accurate numbers!!
Dang it. You made me hunt up the article! I've attached a pic of the specs listed in the FCMA mag. They are for a the 25.2 floor plan which is 26'6" long.

I'm just passing along the info. It's built on a Ford E-series (whatever that means). The article lists the chassis having a 12,500lb gross vehicle weight.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We looked at all of the above mentioned models. After much debate we went with the Windsport 31S. Tracy loves the new awning configuration and the rapid camp system. Got a great deal I think, under 95k out the door. Hoping we made the right choice. We will see. Best .... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
From what I have seen of the Vegas' at the dealership. They all except for one, had cracked windshields. Personally, I would be afraid to buy one. The windshield has so many curves to it in it's design,that it is stressed from the moment it is mounted. Just my penny.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
New Transmission for Vegas / Axis on E350 chassis

New 6R140 Ford TorqShift Transmission is replacing the current one on E350 with V10 engine. Anyone see them or hear about them on the Vegas/Axis yet?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just talked to a salesperson about the spec for a Axis/Vegas showing an E450 Chassis instead of an E350. He said it was not a typo but that they are using the E450 now. He is checking to see when new transmission is going to show up.

#MTH051145425 - 2016 Thor Motor Coach Axis 24.1 W/ Slide, 15.0 BTU A/C, IFS, Ext. TV, 2 Bed for sale in Alvarado TX

Tags
thor