Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Internet signal improvements

We always stay at park with free internet,but as you may know it is not all that good. What can I do to improve the signal in the camper?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 04:15 AM   #2
YC1

What is your budget?

Use the little green box that says powered by google.

Since you have had at least 35 views and no suggestions it could be folks have answered this question so many times they don't want to make the effort again.

You should come up with a week of reading material.

I'm not trying to put you off but your question encompasses a huge range of possible answers. Personally, I have spent many hundreds of dollars improving cellular and internet service over the last fifteen years.

As a telecommunications engineer I have been challegend and was fortunate enough to be able to experiment with many solutions.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
http://https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-R.../dp/B07JBBCDD2

I have used one of these for 9 years and it helps boost a weal signal. But nothing will help with the bandwidth from the server.

You can parallel w WiFi signal with a data connection to the mobile data on you cell phone using a program called Speedify.
https://speedify.com/

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
http://https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-R.../dp/B07JBBCDD2

I have used one of these for 9 years and it helps boost a weal signal. But nothing will help with the bandwidth from the server.

You can parallel w WiFi signal with a data connection to the mobile data on you cell phone using a program called Speedify.
https://speedify.com/

Ken

Did you mean this one?:

https://www.amazon.com/ALFA-Extender...s%2C624&sr=8-2
Old 11-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check out this thread. I can attest to the product discussed. I use it all the time. If the RV park offers WiFi but it’s weak, the product can boost the signal allowing you to stream video.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-...es-515316.html
Old 11-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danford50 View Post
We always stay at park with free internet,but as you may know it is not all that good. What can I do to improve the signal in the camper?
I use the same devices on the road, as I use at home. A T-Mobile 5G cellular modem and a ATT ZTE Molby cellular modem. Between the two I have never parked where I did not have a good enough signal for streaming in SDTV. I gave up on RV park Internet and cable about 8 years ago.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
In general, the problem with campground WiFi isn't receiving a decent signal - it's that the campground hasn't put any money into developing a robust system and is not paying for enough bandwidth to support the number of campers trying to all use the system all at once.

Are there antennas that will help pick up a week signal? Sure, but that's not going to help you when you get great WiFi access to lousy overloaded internet from the cheapskate campground owner.

Your only hope is to bring your own Internet with you in the form of cellular broadband data.

Visit, read and better yet pay to join www.rvmobileinternet.com. Start with the beginner stuff and get yourself an education.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #8

Get a Starlink

We took the leap and invested in a Starlink setup.
Worth every penny.

We have now used it in 4 different RV parks ranging from wide open to trees in the way. And each time - we can stream Hulu and work (I own a software company) our lives away.

I would never hesitate to suggest this now.
flbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:35 AM   #9

We bought a Starlink for the RV and couldn’t be happier. The map shows almost no coverage in the eastern states but we have had better service than we get at home with cable internet. No issues streaming tV or doing zoom meetings
MXdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:16 PM   #10

I used a different approach to WiFi on the road. We have a Verizon home internet that runs us $50 month. It amounts to a small 6" cube and an AC adapter. It has it's own built in WiFi radio and plugs right into our little 300w inverter for camping. We had non stop internet for the better part of 1600 miles on the west coast. Most stops we had 10 to 40 Mbps. Plenty fast enough for our streaming needs. It also can be powered by 12vdc power.
T-Mobile and a few others have similar setups. Simple easy and low cost.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Check out this thread. I can attest to the product discussed. I use it all the time. If the RV park offers WiFi but it’s weak, the product can boost the signal allowing you to stream video.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-...es-515316.html
Paul, I reviewed this thread in detail and thought I would ask the OP, Bob Jones, a question or two, but I see he has not posted at all since August 2021, well over a year. Do you know if he is still active? Also noted Myron (YC1) contributed quite a bit to the thread. Not sure if he might know either.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
I used a different approach to WiFi on the road. We have a Verizon home internet that runs us $50 month. It amounts to a small 6" cube and an AC adapter. It has it's own built in WiFi radio and plugs right into our little 300w inverter for camping. We had non stop internet for the better part of 1600 miles on the west coast. Most stops we had 10 to 40 Mbps. Plenty fast enough for our streaming needs. It also can be powered by 12vdc power.
T-Mobile and a few others have similar setups. Simple easy and low cost.

I just checked Verizon, which is my current cell phone carrier. The Verizon home internet is not available at our house. The only option I can find with Verizon is a mobile hot spot device at $80/month for 100 gig of data. $80 per month is not too bad though. I could drop the hot spot gigs down on my current phones, saving $20 month. The $80/month mobile hot spot can be suspended any time for up to 3 months total per year. So my net cost increase would be $480 /year or $40/month if I reduce my cell data, add the mobile hot spot, and suspend the mobile hot spot 3 months out of the year when I am not camping.

Is there a web site with info on your cube, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:53 PM   #13

Try a search for Verizon 4g LTE Home internet. 5g is faster if ya can get it but our 4g lte works fine for our needs. Tmobile has the same type of system at same price.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Try a search for Verizon 4g LTE Home internet. 5g is faster if ya can get it but our 4g lte works fine for our needs. Tmobile has the same type of system at same price.

Thanks, tried it, got "service not available in your area".

Tags
internet