RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Inverter question

I talked with an owner of 2016 Outlaw with residential fridge. They are having ongoing issue with blowing the inverter and believe that it may be due to it being to small.

Any opinions? I would hate to be some where no a/c and the Ben and Jerry's melting.

I understand that I have to pick and choose what I turn on when we are not connected to electric. I need to figure out the wastage of each item.

AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

You'll have to clarify what you men by "blowing the inverter". How many batteries does the coach have (i.e. How many amp hours does it have to work with)? What size inverter and brand is it? Is there a power management system that sheds power as demand exceeds what is available?

jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

What size is the inverter and how much current does the fridge draw? You have to keep in mind that the surge current when the compressor motor starts up may well be double the current that is consumed otherwise. The quality of the inverter is another factor, as many (especially cheaper ones), aren't actually able to provide the wattage output they claim.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
I talked with an owner of 2016 Outlaw with residential fridge. They are having ongoing issue with blowing the inverter and believe that it may be due to it being to small.

Any opinions? I would hate to be some where no a/c and the Ben and Jerry's melting.

I understand that I have to pick and choose what I turn on when we are not connected to electric. I need to figure out the wastage of each item.
AngusT,
Me thinks there is something else going on, other than the inverter simply burning out in that RV. What is meant by "blowing" the inverter?

I believe the OEM inverter is a 1800Watt unit and the Whirpool doesn't draw anywhere near that capacity.

I saw the OEM set-up is 4-6volt batteries to carry the load overnight without recharging.

Finally, there's only a few items that run on the inverter (like the TV's and 1 open outlet)...it is not a whole house inverter. The aircon, microwave and most all outlets are not on the inverter.

The best thing to do to preserve your inverter's health is to ensure the batteries have a good charge before an extended use (like overnight). Battery health includes water checks in all cells and clean terminals. The standard batteries will need constant maint, unless you convert to AGM or some other tech because lead acid batteries are just messy...but basic/reliable/inexpensive.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #5

Thor 31W Chateau has the same inter set up, the two series 27s will only power the inverter to the fridge only ( everything else has been disconnected ) for 3.5 hours.
The inverter makes a clunking noise when it starts. The inverter manufacturer told me that the inverter is wrong--- the Magnum 1800 is a modified Sine Wave and it needs a Full Sine Wave ( Magnum Pro ) instead due to the high starting power load from the Whirlpool fridge.
Carlmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well reading your story a question comes to mind "How Small Is It"

I would think a 2,000 watt inverter should be big enough IN fact I'd think a 1500 watt.

Depending on the fridge a 1,000 watt

Smaller than that I'd worry about.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Or it could be to much on inverter. In ours - fireplace instead of TV was plugged into inverter outlet. Moved plugs and problem solved. Also could be unknowingly using an inverter outlet for hi current device such as heater.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlmatt View Post
Thor 31W Chateau has the same inter set up, the two series 27s will only power the inverter to the fridge only ( everything else has been disconnected ) for 3.5 hours.
The inverter makes a clunking noise when it starts. The inverter manufacturer told me that the inverter is wrong--- the Magnum 1800 is a modified Sine Wave and it needs a Full Sine Wave ( Magnum Pro ) instead due to the high starting power load from the Whirlpool fridge.
The Outlaw 38RE (the OPs new RV) has 4 batteries and 1800Watt (EDIT) Modified (EDIT) Sine Wave inverter from the factory.

The Outlaw RE and RF are new and different from many other TMC RV's...and as said above, (EDIT) Xantrex (EDIT) sells a PSW and MSW 1800Watt inverter. The PSW is preferred for several reasons including hard start appliances and small(ish) smart chargers like cell phone and laptop power supplies.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like the same sort of setup we have on our Challenger 37TB - 4 batteries and an 1800 Xantra inverter. If by blowing the inverter you mean the monitor returns an E02 error, then the batteries are falling below a preset level (not really sure what it is - suppose to be 11.4 volts - I think).

First thing, make sure the batteries are well charged. Understand that the on-board generator doesn't charge the house batteries nearly as fast as the engine generator.

Next - make sure the voltage draw on the inverter circuit is known. Our living room TV has a sound bar, a satellite receiver and a HDMI distribution box. Our bunk TVs have Apple TVs on them and I run a CPAP machine. I make sure everything is turned off and have even tested by unplugging each.

Our results after dry camping in Key West for 2 months are it is easy to make it through quiet time hours of 11PM - 7AM. Start with 12.7 volts at 11PM and by 7AM we have 11.9 volts left.

PS: it was a very chilly evening and I had a small space heater plugged into the passenger 110 receptacle. After turning generator off - I suddenly heard the warning beep (indicates 11.9 volts left). I immediately unplugged the small heater and the voltage bounced back up. Phew!!

This is all based on experiences. Good Luck - hope it helps.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter