Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Inverters in Thor Quantums and elsewhere

Just wanted to find out if anyone else is having the same problems I am having with the Xantrex inverter in their rigs. I've had to have TWO replaced already, and waiting to get the third installed and hoping it happens before we leave town next week.

Is this thing dog meat? Should I be looking at swapping it out for another one?

Fortunately its under warranty, but that goes away in a little over a month and I REALLY don't want to get stuck doing this again.

Thanks,

Bruce
JustanowlAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What model inverter do you have. Xantrex is a decent brand that has been around for quite a while. I have used them in large boats and rvs over the years with no real issues. What has been failing on yours? If you have gone through 3 now in a short period of time I would look for the cause of the failures. Power spikes, shorts. etc. what explanation does your repair shop have?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

I went thru 3, PS2000 inverters, but that was back in 2009.

The first two burnt up within months. # 3 is a keeper. It's been working hard for 8 years.

I talked to a factory rep, at a show, and he led me to believe there was a bad batch, back then.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Xantrex 3012. About two years ago I had a problem with the RR freezer section not staying cold when on inverter - ok on shore or genny. Everything else worked ok. I found the frequency low from the inverter. Was fixed by authorized Xantrex repair facility. Has been working fine ever since.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

I've got the XM 1800 model, just for the residential refrigerator. And we've never been able to identify just what the cause has been, but the symptoms that I've seen are constantly throwing a E02 code.

Now, I do have autostart with the generator, and for a long time I had problems with that, but hopefully those are now fixed.

The latest iteration happened at the repair center itself, so I'm not 100% sure what happened this time. It was in for furnace repair (bad board, burner, you name it). But none of that should have affected the inverter at all.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

The "E02" code is low voltage from the house battery, and once it is active, it must be cleared manually. Go to the breaker box under the corner of the bed and reset your AC breakers and it will clear that code. You will hear the beeping stop. Evidently the residential fridge will tear up the generic and kill the battery down to the low voltage level and I think that when it gets there that the inverter shuts down to keep from over draining the battery.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustanowlAZ View Post

Now, I do have autostart with the generator, and for a long time I had problems with that, but hopefully those are now fixed.
I have the same inverter as you and the autostart with my generator doesn't work and Thor doesn't know why. Do you know what the problem was?
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #8

I believe they told me it was the generator setting. The voltage was going too low and the generator wouldn't start. They upped the lower limit of to like 12.5 and its been working since then...

Hopefully it will continue working after they replace the inverter.

Tags
inverter, thor