Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #1

ISC 330 Strange Temperature Stuff

Just picked up a 2006 Mandalay Presidio 39C equipped with a WorkHorse Chassis, ISC 330, Allison 3000, 47000 miles.

If the chassis air conditioning is on everything works perfectly while driving...climbing a grade, cruising on flats at 70mph, or just putting around town.

When I turn off the chassis (or dash) air conditioning the dash temp fluctuates between the middle of the gauge and almost to the "Hot" line. It goes up and down very quickly...probably from the middle line and up almost to the top line and back down to the middle all within a minute or two.

The previous owner installed a secondary temp gauge with numbers on it and it shows 180 for as long as I drive with the AC on. As soon as I turn it off, or to vent, or to defrost, or to anything else, the engine temp slowly creeps up on the stand alone gauge, and the dash temp gauge starts going up and down very quickly.

If I have the AC off for a while and the temp gauge is doing its up and down thing for a good while, as soon as I turn the AC back on it blows SUPER HOT AIR for about five minutes.

I know it sounds crazy, or at least I think it does, but does anybody have any idea what this could be? Are some lines crossed or something?

Thanks!!!
KroepelXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually turning on the air con sets the cooling fan to run at high all the time. Turning the air off lets the fan changes speeds, runs on low, then as the temp rises it goes into high speed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #3

So it seems like the AC system and the motor cooling system shouldn't interconnected at all. Is that correct?

How do I make it so the fan remains on the high full-time? And by doing that, am I rubbing some horsepower?
KroepelXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

Workhorse chassis with a diesel ? I may be wrong but I thought they were all gassers.

The rad fan controller; or it's sensors; may be your issue, as Mr_D says , with the A/C on the rad fan might run on high and with your temp under control, it probably is ; and yes that robs power and mileage.
Because the A/C condenser is in the rad fans air flow , along with the CAC, the fan speed is stepped up to high for proper A/C operation. Some coaches the fan runs high all the time with the A/C on , others will cycle the fan only when the A/C compressor is actually working , which is about 1/2 the time the A/C is on.
When you have been running with the A/C off , there will he hot coolant circulating through the heater core, when you switch the A/C on , a control in the heater hoses "should" shut off the water flow and then the A/C evaporator begins cooling the air box in the dash and then starts to cool the interior. This takes time ; but 5 mins sounds excessive.
Your coach may, or may not be equipped with the auto shut off of coolant flow to the heater core, many owners have installed a manual water valve to aid A/C operation.