Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Latest mod to our ACE 30.1

Can't believe any class A would be built without speakers in the console...for driving!!! but hey..who am I right? So I added them...

Rockford Fosgate component speakers in the dash

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4400a.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	60597

Name:	IMG_4404a.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	60598

Infinity BassLink power sub on the floor by drivers seat (complete with adjustable bass). The system sounds fantastic now...no road noise messing with this rig.

Name:	IMG_4401a.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	60599
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Nice mod. I just purchased 30.2 and cant believe there are no driver speakers. Did you put these in yourself and do you have the Jensen system? How did you do it?
joelee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

I can't wait to so the same thing. I've been trying to find a nice small box speaker like a Bose to have up higher and angled down. The in the dash speakers look really good. Nice job!
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

Yes, put it all in myself. I have the Jensen head unit. What I did is cut the wires to the rear bedroom speakers (they are no longer being used) and use those for the dash. The head unit also has one pair of rear RCA preamp outputs...I used them to feed the new sub. I have to say the Infinity sub is AMAZING and easy to install. There is an adjustable base control so if you want more driving you can turn up..or turn down if it gets too much. Great, full sound now. Crutchfield has pretty good prices and amazing service.

The only speaker that truly needs to be angled towards you is the tweeter. That is why they are surface mounted and adjusted to point right at the driver/passenger. The midranges are fine firing up.

The drivers side mounting was easy..only plastic piece to cut. The passenger side required some finesse as it has the vinyl and foam first. Here is a pic of the install there. Remove the tray to get a flat surface and be sure to use a template and center. There is no obstruction on the other side if you do that. I used 5 1/4 speakers that just perfectly fit both spaces.

Name:	IMG_4397a.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	60638

Cut multiple, pie shaped triangles in the vinyl and peel back to your edge. The speaker cover is about 1/2 larger so you have a little room for error but not much. Then tape back the pieces with painters tape to protect the surface from the jigsaw and create a smooth surface. This also protects the vinyl pieces from ripping more. Cut 1/2 inch pilot holes in at least four locations so that your can easily maneuver the jigsaw. The more the easier.

Name:	IMG_4398a.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	60639

That is it. Pretty easy. The tweeters are surface mounted so they are just a little module that came with the set.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Here is a quick pic of the bass speaker from the inside...you can hardly see it..a perfect fit. You can also mount if flat, firing up...I think it fits that way too...

Name:	IMG_4406a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	60640
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
YES, this what I want, and yes i'm handy.
Could you, please, supply the model #'s for the Rockford Fosgate component speakers in the dash and the Infinity BassLink power sub?
UMEKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMEKiki View Post
YES, this what I want, and yes i'm handy.
Could you, please, supply the model #'s for the Rockford Fosgate component speakers in the dash and the Infinity BassLink power sub?
Sure can...I use Crutchfield almost exclusively for all my purchases. Great support, service and return policy...and usually the best prices.

Sub:
Infinity BassLink Powered subwoofer: 200 watts and a 10" sub at Crutchfield.com

Wiring for sub:
EFX 10-gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit Power and signal connections for your new amp at Crutchfield.com

Component speakers:
Rockford Fosgate Prime R152-S 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great mod! Thanks for the details. I hope to give this a try myself. Would like to add some cab lighting also.
Ltiggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltiggis View Post
Great mod! Thanks for the details. I hope to give this a try myself. Would like to add some cab lighting also.
thanks...cab lighting def in need...i ended up running the LED strips under there...so I can use either color or white. Helps a lot to illuminate the front dark space. Not reading light per se but enough at night.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

ty for the post I used your way and installed two cheap speakers from walmart was able to surface mount the passenger side looks just like yours again ty
laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
ty for the post I used your way and installed two cheap speakers from walmart was able to surface mount the passenger side looks just like yours again ty
Glad it helped!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #12

When you pull the head unit, are the wires marked so you know which ones to cut and then use for the front speakers?
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
When you pull the head unit, are the wires marked so you know which ones to cut and then use for the front speakers?
I don't believe they were. The manual has the wiring diagram that you can go by. That is what I did.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #14

I did this same upgrade finally today, will post pictures soon. I used the same sub, but used Kicker speakers in the dash instead of what you used, same size, same outcome.... awesome!! This is sooo much better that trying to hear the ceiling speakers while driving.

I also added some Dynamat to the drivers side behind the dash plastic to eliminate any future rattles from the left side dash speaker. The left side speaker mounted right to that plastic, was worried about vibrations. Overkill probably, but I had some handy. I also mounted the sub volume switch in the dash, I took it out of the mounting box and put it right behind the dash bezel, and drilled a hole for the knob. Looks good.

An added benefit of having that sub to the left of the drivers seat is it blocks the path our Pug (Wally) used to get up in the drivers footwell area. He always wants to sleep by your feet, or touching you in some way. Kinda not safe while driving the big turd down the highway. He can't really hear anymore, so you can't tell him to move. He is the best.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote