Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #1

Smile Leaving Shore Power

We have a 2019 Thor Aria 3901. When I take the shore power off of the coach I get a red triangle fault signal on the monitor screen. This keeps me from having 115 volt a/c power. I have to run the generator to clear the fault and get a/c power. I do not have a good understanding of how the system works, so there may not be anything wrong and I need some training.
DrTEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #2

If you don't have shore power connected and don't have the generator running, where are you expecting to get 115 VAC from?
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If you don't have shore power connected and don't have the generator running, where are you expecting to get 115 VAC from?

Batteries
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
epj

I have a much older coach, but when disconnected from shore power I have to be sure my inverter is turned on if I want 120V AC.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

When you disconnect from shore power and the generator is not running then the only other source of 120VAC is from the inverter. You probably don't have it turned on. You probably won't be able to run the A/C units, depending on the size of the inverter. How long you can operate on the inverter depends on the size of the house batteries.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstead View Post
Batteries
Batteries...huh? Seriously? Nope!

You are NOT going to run AC off batt's. With the batt's and inverter ON you'll probably get 3, 4 maybe 5 outlets with 115 - 120, that's it.

You can run the AC and other 120 systems only with shore power or generator...unless of course you have a massive batt array and a very robust solar charging system which I suspect accounts for .05% of RV occupants.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

You may have an inverter in that MH. They take battery power and make 120 power for some of the things like TV, Microwave and some outlets.

Find the Inverter control panel and see if its on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #8

Aria 3901

Dr. Terri,
There is a whole thread about the inverter issues in the Aria line on Thorforums.com. See Aria electrical issues. The inverter in your coach does power all 110 outlets, TV's, microwave, and refrigerator. It does not power the cook top, fireplace, water heater, or washer/dryer. The inverter in your coach is not a true sine wave inverter and they do not get along well with newer solid state GFI's. Check out the thread for some fixes.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTEdwards View Post
We have a 2019 Thor Aria 3901. When I take the shore power off of the coach I get a red triangle fault signal on the monitor screen. This keeps me from having 115 volt a/c power. I have to run the generator to clear the fault and get a/c power. I do not have a good understanding of how the system works, so there may not be anything wrong and I need some training.
I'm not sure what the "red triangle fault signal" is, but it is good practice to remove all loads from power before disconnecting from shore. Turn off A/Cs or furnace or whatever load is on the system, then unplug from the power.

To run those systems without shore power you will need to be running the generator for large loads like A/C, or have sufficient battery power and your inverter turned on for smaller loads like TVs, lamps or maybe your refrigerator.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

Batteries...huh? Seriously? Nope!

You are NOT going to run AC off batt's. With the batt's and inverter ON you'll probably get 3, 4 maybe 5 outlets with 115 - 120, that's it.

You can run the AC and other 120 systems only with shore power or generator...unless of course you have a massive batt array and a very robust solar charging system which I suspect accounts for .05% of RV occupants.

Excuse me. Read the post - it wasn’t about air conditioners it was about Alternating Current. You know AC. The question was basically where are you getting AC if your generator isn’t running and you are not on shore power.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Excuse me. Read the post - it wasn’t about air conditioners it was about Alternating Current. You know AC. The question was basically where are you getting AC if your generator isn’t running and you are not on shore power.
And the correct answer is.....Batteries AND an inverter. For some outlets only. No AC.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
And the correct answer is.....Batteries AND an inverter. For some outlets only. No AC.

Agree. Batteries input to inverter.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Apparently you didn't read my entire post either which was, you know the AC part:

You are NOT going to run AC off batt's. (Mis spoke) With the batt's and inverter ON you'll probably get 3, 4 maybe 5 outlets with 115 - 120, that's it. (Correctly spoke)

So what...I mis read and mis spoke the first 9 words about the AC part. Big deal. The rest of the post was right on the mark exactly like your above post #12. Jeeze.

However you are excused. PEACE.

LMAO
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Dr Edwards, I also have a 3901 and have the same triangle. At the Thor rally I noticed that all the display units that were on inverter had the same triangle. I asked the Thor rep why it was showing a fault when actually it was just because it wasn’t plugged in. He didn’t have a answer but don’t worry about it, it’s normal.
KohtangFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power