Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

Lippert jacks - return hose spring a leak

Sprung a leak is probably correct. Pulled the ACE out of storage today for a nice 5 day trip. I had it sitting on the street, and moved it to the driveway and noticed a wet area on the street where fluid leaked. Thought it was the trans, but it was too far to the right. And it wasn't thick like ipping, like a mist created it. Must have a tiny tiny pinhole on the return line (Orange), it's putting out a fluid mist, not dripping. I located the leak using a white rag, I put it over the hoses and I got a small red dot quickly. When I shined my flashlight above it, I could see the mist, super hard to see without the flashlight. I wonder if the front right tire kicked something up and damaged it?? Good thing is it's the short 4' hose. Where in the world can I get one of those?? And what's the procedure to replace since it's a high pressure hose? I plan on doing it myself, but I thought I should ask a few questions first. I'll call Lippert in the morning to see what they have to say. Any advise??? thanks in advance.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lippert has a website for parts ordering. My advice would to replace all of the orange return lines with 5000+ psi non-Lippert hose. All 3 of our return hoses burst (what a mess) at 3 separate times. When Service Techs came to replace the hose they thought the hoses were of poor quality. No matter which manufacturer uses Lippert for the leveling system, they most likely will have problems with their ORANGE return hoses. I think the system is a 3200 psi system with the return hoses rated at 3500psi.

As a note, repair 1 done by mobile repair, THOR & Lippert no assist (out of warranty 1 month), repair 2, 6 months later, THOR & Lippert covered the replacement, although the new orange return blew out again, repair 3, mobile repair, replaced the last 2 hoses with insurance. Replace all orange hoses if you can, plus THOR & Lippert are aware of the hose problems, they may do a goodwill repair. GOOD LUCK
plotlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

The Lippert tech was good, great info. I was able to take the hose off and take it to HosePower USA, the made me a 5000lbs PSI hose quick, and I'm back up and running.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
Sprung a leak is probably correct. Pulled the ACE out of storage today for a nice 5 day trip. I had it sitting on the street, and moved it to the driveway and noticed a wet area on the street where fluid leaked. Thought it was the trans, but it was too far to the right. And it wasn't thick like ipping, like a mist created it. Must have a tiny tiny pinhole on the return line (Orange), it's putting out a fluid mist, not dripping. I located the leak using a white rag, I put it over the hoses and I got a small red dot quickly. When I shined my flashlight above it, I could see the mist, super hard to see without the flashlight. I wonder if the front right tire kicked something up and damaged it?? Good thing is it's the short 4' hose. Where in the world can I get one of those?? And what's the procedure to replace since it's a high pressure hose? I plan on doing it myself, but I thought I should ask a few questions first. I'll call Lippert in the morning to see what they have to say. Any advise??? thanks in advance.
I had similar issues this past year. Found out that retract orange hoses have over 2000 psi pressure entire time jacks are up. (Lippert tech support call, pressure is what turns off pump and indicates jacks retracred). So that is all year 24/7 unless camped.

In my call, we discussed for long term storage to drop jacks just a fraction...not too much polished shaft exposed....this takes pressure off all hoses. Be careful not to have long term dirt on polished shafts.

My black hoses were all fine. Replaced all orange using industrial hose as source...Midwest Hydraulic Hose. Also insulated with metallic wrap in engine area. Total cost around $500. My Damon Daybreak is 2007, garaged kept so when I am done this year, will drop jacks about 1/8 inch then no pressure.

Also had pin hole on one...for about 3 years, I had it covered with hose clamp and some thick rubber..it held. Replaced that hose this year in my project.
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The mobile RV Techs that replaced our hoses went to an auto parts store that could make up any length, O'Reilly Auto Parts in Bend OR.
plotlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

My thoughts were that hydraulic hoses should and would last for years, but just the other day I read a post about a rver with pinhole leaks in his hoses and I believe it was a 2007 or 2008 model year. That post was followed by another person with the same problem and about the same year unit. What the heck are they using for hoses these days??

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #7

The black lift hoses on my 2007 still good, replaced all orange retract hoses as the were all spongy. Again, they maintain 2150 psi entire time jacks are up on lippert units according to support.

Mine are down 1/8" ....no pressure!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #8

The tech at the hose place I got mine from said the leak into outer sheath starts with the fitting and how well mated with hose
Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Commercial Member

heat is the main cause of hose cover cracking, and other failures.
in high temp areas, cover the hoses with split loom material to help extend the hose life.
some grainger stores can make up hoses for lippert, power gear, and hwh, if they use parker hose and fittings. if a company makes hoses, be sure to let them know your system operating pressure. hwh uses 3200 lbs.
hoses should be rated at least 3000 lbs, as well as fittings.
the fittings are equally important. some are not rated over 1200 lbs. especially crimped fittings. thats why hwh uses swaged fittings.
brass fittings are also rated at 1200 lbs. always use steel fittings.
fittings, hose material, and complete hoses are available on the hwh website, stuarts in elkhart in, and other sites on the internet.
if you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638.
thanks, paul maddox hwh service rep.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I have replaced every orange hose due to leaks. Replaced all with eaton hoses and fittings most NAPA auto parts make hoses Those orange hoses are not high quality and every one has leaked in the middle of the hose. No chafing at all just failed over time. The rear returns are a cake walk the front left that goes the entire length was a pain
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #11

I have a forklift that was made in 1964. Yes you heard that right 1964. It still has the original hoses and no leaks. Like I asked earlier, what are they making these hoses out of?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leak