Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #1

Magnitude Slide Stops Working When Hot Outside

Greetings!

I am a member here and typically spend most of my time in the Class A forums, but my son is having an issue with his 2020 Magnitude.

On several occasions while using his rig this summer, his slide will not properly extend while in or retract when out. He will attempt to operate the slide and it will move about an inch or so, then stop. Even after resetting the controller, it will only repeat the small movement, and the controller aborts the process.

Now here is the tricky part. This only seems to happen when the RV has been out in the sun for the day and the weather warm. If he allows the rig to cool down, say once it is in the shade, overnight, or back in his climate controlled storage, the slide will operate.

His dealer recently replaced one of the slide motors, but clearly did not test it when the motorhome had heated up in the sun, as the next time he used it, it did the same thing, nearly stranding him with the slide out.

He will be taking it back to the s week (3 hours from home!) to have them try again, but if there is a fix we can accomplish, I am handy enough and willing to try.

Has anyone else had this issue? Was there a simple fix?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

TC
TC Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:03 AM   #2

Have not had this issue (yet, knock on wood). Hold my breath each time I activate the slide.
What is the power source for operating the slide? May be low voltage to the motors, aggravated by higher ambient temperature. If operating on batteries alone may be an issue. If fails to operate properly on shore power or generator maybe a loose/corroded connection between power source and slide motor(s).

From the pics I have seen, looks like Schwintek Triple Track slide mechanism. Seems if the slide works most times there is no fixed obstruction to its movement. If not making any unusual noises then the motors/gears. etc. are probably OK. May be out of adjustment/alignment. It is important to hold the extend/retract switch on for 3-5 seconds after the slide stops moving in either direction. This allows the motors to re-sync after each operation. If the button is released early, any "error" in motor synchronization will accumulate until the slide box is far enough out of synch to bind. I think Schwintek recommends being on shore power or generator when operating the slide. I also never operate the slide with out coach level and jacks down. You probably already know this stuff as you have had it to the dealer already for service.

Hope it is something simple, nice coach. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #3

Triple wide, thanks for the reply. Process he is using follows all the recommendations; good battery, RV running, measured voltage in spec, coach level, and holding switch to allow sync. If it is cool, or out of the sun to allow everything to cool down, slide works fine.

Fresh motor was in the location the controller said was “amping out” to cause the stoppage. Happened again in similar warm circumstances, worked once everything cooled down.

RV heads to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

TC
TC Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
Triple wide, thanks for the reply. Process he is using follows all the recommendations; good battery, RV running, measured voltage in spec, coach level, and holding switch to allow sync. If it is cool, or out of the sun to allow everything to cool down, slide works fine.

Fresh motor was in the location the controller said was “amping out” to cause the stoppage. Happened again in similar warm circumstances, worked once everything cooled down.

RV heads to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

TC

Good luck at the dealership, intermittent problems can be tough to diagnose. Slide issues are aggravating because they are trip stoppers.
Will be interesting to find out the solution.

Tags
slide