Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Axis 25.3

Just purchased it and have not used a second full tank of gas yet so don't know MPG yet. All new models are on the E450 chassis and have the new 6 speed transmission per Jon Kuffman regional Thor Rep for Vegas/Axis. I'm happy!

On PDI only two items:
1) Pocket doors rattling and won't lock closed. Dealer's service department adjusted holes for pin. Driver's side door should shut and lock flush with wall. Passenger side there are wiring harnesses behind it so the best you do is flush with wardrope which is out farther than sitchen side wall. No rattles now.
2) Entrance Door detent fell off. Reinstalled with loctite.

After one overnight stay and 350 miles return trip home no problems.

Wife loves it and she is now driving it to releave me. This is new as she would never drive the 38 ft DP. I drove it in desert cross winds and its not bad. I was pulling a Wrangler. Love the power!

Things I don't like and for people who are interested in purchasing this model:
Bad Thor Engineering on :
1- bathroom heater vent - location near door pointing under door and the room gets cold with door shut.
2 - When slide is closed for traveling the HVAC control is behind the slide wall and you have to access it by opening the slide window. Really stupid location.
3- and of course the wiring harnesses behind the passenger side pocket door. Make sure the door latch and don't rattle.
4 - the front window shade is a pain to operate but I manage.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Items we plan to do (within a month of two at most):
A - New SMI braking system for Jeep/Axis. Had AF1 on DP and loved it.
B - replace dinette with recliners
C - replace batteries with Lithium ones and solar panels
D - Add elbow to sewer connector - access is a pain. (Thor did change it to swivel but not good enough) - may go with macerator not sure yet.
E - Add front steering stabilizer.
F - replace the two accordian shades with day/night ones. Other windows have black out shades - why not all windows??
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Will add before and after photos of changes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Thor Vages / Axis

We are first time buyers. I drive a diesel car and trucks and would prefer a diesel for its fuel economy, but after two years looking at new and used class C came to the conclusion that they may be a bit small and all were over my budget. Went to a RV show (about my tenth one in the last two years) and found that I can get a lot of bang for the buck by buying a Axis by Thor Inds. It appears to be a medium quality unit and I'm going to have to settle for gas but it it has the towing cap I need and the sleeping room too. My question is; I think we want the Dinette with slide out but with twin beds in rear (model 24.1) Why do you want to replace yours with a sofa and would the two be interchangeable. Why does Thor not offer these options. If I buy the one that had the show pricing, do you want to swap furniture. second are the front seats comfortable to sit in for 6 hrs of driving? All RV in this price range seam to forget drivers comfort. An other reason I ruled out the class C's. Will i be happy with a gas guzzling machine? Why dosn't the manufactures offer more drive train options? Thanks, GP Cruiser
GPcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPcruiser View Post
We are first time buyers. I drive a diesel car and trucks and would prefer a diesel for its fuel economy, but after two years looking at new and used class C came to the conclusion that they may be a bit small and all were over my budget. Went to a RV show (about my tenth one in the last two years) and found that I can get a lot of bang for the buck by buying a Axis by Thor Inds. It appears to be a medium quality unit and I'm going to have to settle for gas but it it has the towing cap I need and the sleeping room too. My question is; I think we want the Dinette with slide out but with twin beds in rear (model 24.1) Why do you want to replace yours with a sofa and would the two be interchangeable. Why does Thor not offer these options. If I buy the one that had the show pricing, do you want to swap furniture. second are the front seats comfortable to sit in for 6 hrs of driving? All RV in this price range seam to forget drivers comfort. An other reason I ruled out the class C's. Will i be happy with a gas guzzling machine? Why dosn't the manufactures offer more drive train options? Thanks, GP Cruiser
We are getting two recliners and not a sofa, but its was a good idea tks. I asked the Thor Rep in Quartzsite if I could get one without the dinette and he said they don't do custom only the limited options on these units. The drivers seats are comfortable for me and my wife. The unit without my jeep toad is a rocket. Hard to stay at the speed limit on surface streets. Out west mountain climbing in your RV is routine...power is your friend. I have not put gas in yet so don't know MPG, but most report 8 to 10. My 39 ft DP was getting 7 so I'am ahead. 55 gal fuel tank gets you more range than your butt wants. My Ford Dealer we use now for SUV can do all the routine maintenance with the exception of wheel alignment. Test drive it is my advise. We think we made a very good choice for size and power.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Its going to be a few months to get the new recliners. But if you are interested and in the So Cal area i would sale it for $100 once we get the recliners.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. Tomorrow (Wed Feb 3rd) we will be going to the factory were the Axis/Vegas is made. I'll express your points. I've already been told that I can not get the "Dream Dinette" in the 24.1 but my dealer said they could order the set and swap it. I think I'll take you up on your offer. We will be looking at the new 25.4 that comes with the Dinette and see if I can swap out that tiny rear bed for the twins/king. Also see if they can or planing on building a diesel model. I'll get back with you on my findings. Thanks
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

Did the factory tour of the Axis/Vegas line Wed. Impressed with the clean operation. Well organized and things seam to move efficiently. Every step is so laid out it seam that it would be hard to screw things up. That is also why they won't build anything that is not shown on the brochures. My biggest surprise of the build is "there is no front bumper or front end impact zone" under that fiberglass. Don't know what you paid for your 24.1 but I can buy one here for $67,900. But with the grand kids with use we feel we need the Dinette table. What color is your interior?
Old 03-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Whisper Dune and Sydney Maple
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #8

Thanks for getting back with me. We've decided to go with the 25.4 that comes with the dinette and a little larger bathroom. Non functional bedroom but we will gut that. Thanks for keeping in touch.