Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New coach with battery issues

I have a new 2015 Thor 37Kt, I have it plugged in to shore power, but the batteries (starting and house) keep discharging to no voltages. Any ideas. I've checked fuses (none blown and no breakers popped). I've tried using the disconnect and I've also left the batteries connected and still have the same problems. All 3 batteries have proper levels in all cells, and putting a Simpson multimeter doesn't show an large amp withdraw... Confused and starting to get upset. Thanks for any ideas
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had similar problem but on older product. The relay that switches house batteries on and off needs 12 volts or more from house battery to operate. So it is left in battery store state there is no way for it to get enough voltage to operate. Try putting charger on house battery and then try the battery use/store switch. Most likely the chassis battery does not charge from shore power, you may need to add a trickle charger to keep it up. Harbor Freight frequently puts trickle charger on sale with coupon for around $5. I bought a cheap one and left it hooked up all the time so if on shore power it was always charging.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the best things I bought for my Motor Home was a battery monitor. About $200 with the shunt and wiring. I can monitor every .10 of a volt and amp going in or out of my batteries. I have the 2025 but they just released a new 2030 model with more features.

Now, if I leave a light on in my basement compartment, I can see the power drain and go turn it off before it discharges my batteries.

TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering

FYI - You need something to monitor the AC side too. This is one of the best surge protector and monitor on the market today.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

To me, these should be standard equipment on all RV,s.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Problem solved..

First thanks for the replies' I contacted Thor and they were at a lose. After trouble shooting I found that 1 line coming from shore power was dead. With only 1 line coming into the coach, the invertor was working , but the convertor wasn't. Hence it pulled the power out of the batteries until they completely discharge. The 1 powered line closed the main contact and the disconnect switch wasn't disconnecting. New cord, no more problems. Three weeks of pulling my hair out. Simple fix.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote