RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

New From Brazil - Considering an Outlaw, Class A

Hello from BRAZIL!! (BTW, sorry for the long text!!)
I can't say I'm a newbie... More of a virgin.
That's why I'm first studying and reading a lot before I start.
I'm 46, and planning a move back to the US. Lived in Washington and Oregon as an exchange student, and in L.A. as a student and Heavy Metal drummer. Actually, Speed Metal.
Now, I'm planning on moving to California again, but as an investor.
And here's where my RV life begins...

Before I get to my final destination, I'm planning a trip through the 48 states, starting in Florida, with one or two friends.
I've been doing the itinerary on Google Earth for a few years, until I solve all the issues to leave my life here.
So far, over 200 major cities, and way over 500 in total.
All tourist (and not so tourist) attractions in the US are covered.
All 48 capitals with their capitol buildings and major museums and cultural/historic sites.
Also, many diving sites, music stores and Harley-Davidson dealers are included on the way.
Needless to say, I own a few Harleys, and love to scuba dive. And being a drummer and my friends being also musicians, some factories and stores are a must.

Because I will need a way to move around the cities, I was looking into the toy haulers.
I only began checking for models 2 years ago, and I had no idea of what I would really need.
First, I thought about a fifth wheel, to use the truck for getting around the places, but it's out of the question, because I like being able to move around, and not being stuck in the cabin of a truck.
Then, I saw some pics of the Thor Outlaw, and fell in love with it!! Outlaw/Harley = PERFECT!!
It has an ideal floor plan for me!! The 2016 RB has the perfect layout. One of us (ME) will stay in the loft, my friend will have the bed by the garage, and if a third friend comes along, he can have the bed on top of the driving/passenger seats.
Because we won't spend much time inside the RV during the day, it doesn't need to have a huge living area. Just enough to rest after the long days of diving/walking/riding/exploring.
Most meals will be done in restaurants in the cities. We'll probably just have breakfast in the RV. I'll park in the RV parks/camping grounds and, to move around, two or three Harleys will be just perfect.

Now here are my questions to those who had the patience to read all this:
1 - Can I fit three Harleys in the garage? There are rings to strap only two bikes.
2 - How reliable are the Outlaws? I saw many videos about new RVs breaking down!!
3 - Where should I buy it? Would Camping World fix any problems I might have?
4 - I saw a lawyer saying the stores won't even bother. There's no Lemon Law for RVs.
5 - How well will it handle if I get some snow? I'll try to avoid it as much as possible.

From what I'm planning, I'll start in Florida around Jan/Feb. Then, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont. This will be the first part.

From Vermont, it's up to Canada - Quebec, Montreal and Toronto - and back to the US through Niagara Falls, into NY, PA and OH again. I'm thinking of getting out of Canada by June/July.
Next part is through Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Washington (Vancouver, BC), Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and finally California.
Many states I'll visit more than once, of course...

So, is it doable?
I'm trying to plan around the hurricane and tornado seasons, so I don't get caught in the middle of anything like that.
When I get to Colorado, sometime around Sep/Oct, I'll be able to escape from the winter and any snow.
But I just included northern Nevada/California to the trip, and I think I'll face some snow. That's why I asked how well a Class A RV would handle.
I would appreciate any input anybody would have on all this. The picture shows my Google Earth itinerary.
Thank you.

mark-rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Welcome to irv2 Mark! You definitely have a ambitious itinerary laid out. You are obviously a very detail-oriented person. How much time do you plan to allow for this odyssey? I would make time for a couple weeks after purchase (at least) for a localized shakedown cruise near your dealer before embarking on the real trip. This would help work out the bugs and defects in the coach.

And I would hope that you have some flexibility built in and allow for some down time during the trip to account for unforeseen delays. You know how to make God laugh, right? (Show him your plans). This would help your stress levels.

Here is a link to someone who placed 3 bikes in his OTL garage, I don't know how your Harleys would compare in size, but its a start.https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-l...ml#post2262497
(And oh how I miss Cadillac Bob!)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 09-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And

Jeff is 100% correct. And the Outlaw 37RB could very well fit the plan for your trip...and years of use afterwards. The flat garage floor in the back makes a Diesel pusher motorhome a no-go. And starting with the late 2016's, the transmission in these Ford F53 chassis RV's will be upgraded from 5 speed to 6 speed (should improve MPG and road manners).

Here's my take on the questions...
1 - Can I fit three Harleys in the garage? Yes
There are rings to strap only two bikes? Tie downs can be added to the thick garage floor as desired.
2 - How reliable are the Outlaws? I saw many videos about new RVs breaking down!! Thor is building these RV's as fast as they can due to demand. To ensure a problem free RV, the first step is a thorough and complete pre-delivery inspection. A high quality dealer is a must for this. The chassis used is the top of the line Ford F53, w/ 26,000lb GVWR...used to build all gas powered Class A RV's in North America = very reliable
3 - Where should I buy it? Would Camping World fix any problems I might have? CW has good and bad dealerdships...research is required. MHSRV in Texas sells many, many Outlaws and has a good reputation.
4 - I saw a lawyer saying the stores won't even bother. There's no Lemon Law for RVs. See #2 above.
5 - How well will it handle if I get some snow? I'll try to avoid it as much as possible. These RV's will drive in snow like any big truck...but we avoid driving in snow, not because of the snow, but because of the way other's drive.

I have moved the post out of a mega-thread, to improve traffic.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Many thanks to JeffAZ and Scarab0088 for the feedback.
I was waiting for an email notification that never came. I'll just keep checking this post, then.
Well... About being detail oriented... I just have lots of fun doing this.
I go through Trip Advisor, seeing the attractions to each city.
Being an insomniac, and being my own boss, I have lots of spare time.

I always loved RVs, since I was a kid. I would go crazy in car shows that had smaller van type RVs here in Brazil, back in the 70s.
Growing up, the van from The A Team was another "gotta have".
Also, the Knight Rider car. Which I did have one when I lived in L.A., back in the mid 90s.
The idea of a trip across the US came to me in 2009. And in 2012 I began drawing a little trail on Google Maps, going from Florida to Canada, then straight to Seattle and down to Los Angeles.
As I put more time into it, I decided to go all the way, through the 48 states.

Thinking about how to get to every attraction, I thought of using a motorcycle lift on the back. Researched a few, and saved all the links. But I would never feel safe with that.
Then, I saw the fifth wheel toy haulers, and finally the Outlaw. Even the name is perfect for the kind of trip I'm planning.
If all goes well, I'll be attending the Daytona Bike Week, Myrtle Beach and Sturgis.
As Scarab0088 mentioned, I will give it a trial before actually doing the whole trip. I planned doing it through the Florida Keys for a few weeks.

Also, I was thinking if it would be possible to fly to Thor's factory in Indiana, do the factory tour and actually custom order the RV.
I don't know how that works. How I would buy and pay for it.
I'll get into that when it comes the time (cross the bridge when I get there).
Maybe a much darker unit, inside and out. I'm also planning on printing some big vinyl skull with cross bones to stick to the front, back and sides, naming it the "Skull Bus".
Won't have much problems with security... Whoever thinks of entering an RV to steal something, will avoid this one!! LOL
(COME IN! ARMED BIKERS INSIDE!)

I know I'll be driving through some unsafe places/cities. That's one way to avoid problems (and attract police). And I'll leave the RV alone for the whole day, until I get back at night.
That's why I don't plan on staying much in isolated National Parks or RV parks that are mixed with mobile homes.
But I know how to get around. I live in one of the least safe cities in the world. Lots of people get robbed here. One very common crime is the "lightning kidnapping". They take you and your car, get your credit and debit cards, and use them as much as possible, while they hold you inside your car at gun point.

Having a very noisy and blacked out Harley FatBoy, with 34 skulls, and looking like I'm not the kind of guy to be messed with, avoids having these kinds of problems here.
So, you see where the Skull Bus comes in handy...
It's like... When you see a house with an old rusted car surrounded by 5 foot tall grass, you know a gun lives there!! LOL
And JeffAZ, I don't know how long it will take. Probably between 6 and 8 months. And as I say when I talk about this trip, I really don't want to stress over anything, specially schedule. I only want to worry about 2 things: what to eat and where to $hit. Nothing else!!
I'll start this trip as soon as possible. Maybe even before January. I just don't know the exact year, because I need to get all the paperwork done first before moving to the US.

I just need to be in the south during the winter, and be out of the north before snow starts.
I might even try to partner up with a TV station here, or, who knows, Discovery Channel, if they're interested in showing this adventure. I don't know if anyone ever did this at once.
You guys seen the trips Ewan McGregor took, from London to New York, through Europe, Asia and North America? It's called: Long Way 'Round. And also, the one from London to South Africa: Long Way Down, a few years later. And all that with motorcycles!!
I have both series here, and I'll watch them again after a while. Great scenery!!
Just not for me, though... I don't like camping, sleeping in tents, no bathrooms, no walls...

When I was 20 years old, I did a trip through Europe. From Paris, where I lived, to London, then Belgium, Holand, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Monaco, Monte Carlo, all the way through France to Paris, and London again. And then, back to Paris, to catch the flight back to Rio de Janeiro.
But all that inside a huge brand new double decker tourist bus on its maiden voyage. And only sleeping in hotels.
Still a great trip, with a taste of every small town in between the major destinations.
Pretty much what I plan on doing, but I'll do the driving, and sleeping in the RV.

The attractions in this trip, through the US and Canada, include not only the museums, historic places, diving spots and Harley related sites, but also lots of caves, trails, national parks, like Mesa Verde, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc...
I haven't counted, but it's way over 1000, for sure.
Right now, I'm separating them by state.
Anyway...
Sorry again for the long text, and thanks for all the help!!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very doable with an Outlaw toyhauler.

I run into many seasonal and itinerate workers in Southern California who migrate in their motorhomes and 5th wheels to the next job. Not too unlike your planned adventure.

Recently have been seeing more in toyhaulers. They allow convenient storage of motorcycles, and even a Smart car. The ramp becomes a nice deck when stopped.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Yes, I've been reading and watching videos as much as possible for a while. It is the perfect RV for this kind of trip.
I probably know more about the Outlaw than most salesmen.
But the thing is not only being able to do it, but doing it all and getting all the way to Los Angeles before snow starts.
And also before getting way too tired and just wanting to give up.
One thing is having a few states and attractions. But all 48 states and thousands of attractions... Some are trails that take some effort, like Grand Canyon's South Kaibab trail, Havasupai to Supai and Havasu Falls, Buckskin Gulch, Paria and Cottonwood Canyon, and a few others... I hope I can do them all. I don't know... Never did anything like that.
Maybe I'll want to keep the RV for future trips... Or maybe I'll want to burn it or blow it up... LOL
But it's been a dream of mine for many many years.