Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #1

Hi to all. We just picked up our first Class A, a 2007 Hurricane 34B. We have only spent a couple of nights in it and we are thrilled with our new motorhome.

Second night in it and the furnace quit working. The propane tank is full so it is not that. I initially thought it was a fuse or breaker but I cannot find anything for the furnace on either of the fuse panels.

I did check the fuse behind the thermostat itself and it is ok. Am I missing something completely obvious? Should'nt there be a fuse for the ignitor or blower? The stovetop runs on propane ok and so does the fridge.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to get this sorted out before this weekend. It is our Thanksgiving here in Canada and we are away for four nights in it.

thank-you
Stephen

2007 Chevy Cobalt (5-speed manual)
Skrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #2

My wife informed me that the coach battery light is red while the chassis battery light is green. I am colour blind so the lights looked the same colour to me. LOL.

Will the furnace not run if the coach battery is drained?

What does not make sense is that I was plugged in to a 50A post at the campground when the furnace quit. I have plugged the RV in at home now and apparantly the coach battery is not charging up.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

thank-you
Stephen

Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #3

Skrams, I don't own the same unit you have however every furnance I've had is indeed 12 V and runs off the coach battery. Sooo if the coach battery is dead you won't have heat. You may have hit on the problem when you say it appears the battery is not charging. Check your converter/charger for fuction. Check if there is a main 12v breaker triped, or some other battery issue. Someone with the same unit will no doubt add advice.

2008 Presidio
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Skrams, welcome to iRV2.com
First make sure both switches by the entry door are flip on. get a good 12 volt battery that will put out 10 amps and let it charge up to 1 hour. on 10 amps. make sure you leave the hatch open to air out. and keep your entry door close so the steps don't come out to drain your battery power. then remove the battery charger by disconnecting it. Then see if your coach battery monitor switch above the stove show full strenght. If not then you have a bad cell and battery must be replaced. then without generator power or shore line power say your home go ahead and try your furnace again. if that don't work it is your INTELLIC distribution box in also has the coach and chassis power unit fuses.located up front in the motor section above the radiator on the left side to the right of your a/c unit. it has to be reset!!!!!it is pop out and it has to be reset it is called the 50 AMP distribution breaker fuse reset something made it pop out maybe you had a large load when you disconnected it from your last trip . like a/c on and tv and water heater all going on the same time and when you disconnected it from camp site it trip . it is a safety fuse trip .
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skrams:
My wife informed me that the coach battery light is red while the chassis battery light is green. I am colour blind so the lights looked the same colour to me. LOL.

Will the furnace not run if the coach battery is drained?

What does not make sense is that I was plugged in to a 50A post at the campground when the furnace quit. I have plugged the RV in at home now and apparantly the coach battery is not charging up.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

thank-you
Stephen
Stephen , by plugging your coach to your home power will not charge a drain battery . it takes days to charge with that little invertor/convertor they put in these m/h. Hook up a car battery at full 10 amps and leave on for over a hour and that will charge it up , you will see the indicator on your battery charger when it is fully charge. First make sure you have the m/h house power disconnected from the coach.and keep the steps in and front door close and all accesories light lights and fans or rear radio all off and all inside chassic and coach switch flip on. by the door. . To get a fully charge battery . Also go to the betroom area and find the distribution box at the bed side open it and make sure all breakers are on , go ahead and shut them each off and then back on all of them to reset them , you should here a click when you flip them back on , if not then it probably is a bad breaker.then go ahead and plug in your car battery on to your coach battery at 10 amps for over an hour or 1 hour and 1/2 .
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #6

Thanks guys, you have given me a couple of things to try over the next day or two.

Would driving the MH for say 1/2 hour charge the house battery fully? I do have to take it in tonight for an emissions test.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #7

Probably not, It's possible that it won't do anything if the problem is a breaker or disconnet the coach battery may be isolated from all of the charging systems. If you have a battery charger for your car or boat put it on, if you don't have one give serious consideration to buying one. It's a must have carry along for me.

2008 Presidio
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
How have you liked your 34B? I am interested in buying one but have seen alot of electrical problem reported on the net.
What is your take?

Thanks
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #9

skrams, did you ever determine your funace problem. i hooked up another 12 volt light in my water tank compartment for heat when the temps got down in the freezing area ,of course on a ford chassis they didn't put a light in that compartment, for some reason, and when i did i blew out a fuse in the box which is located under the hood, separate from the box under the dash.this fuse disables the battery cutoff relay and maybe the 12 volts for the furnace.