Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

No gutters?

Has anyone replaced the upper trim pieces with one that included a gutter? I can't believe my 18' travel trailer had them and the 80K motorhome doesn't. Is there a reason that I don't know about? Instead of the channel with only the awning insert, why not use the j channel that has a gutter? Seems like a huge oversight to me.

Has anyone replaced their ACE's top piece with a gutter and awning strip? curious. I don't find the eze gutters to be very effective as the channel isn't very deep and a drip just plops right over it.

I hate the look of black streaks...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

I too am curious to this. I notice running the a/c leaves water streaks down the side windows.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #3

My 32' Class A doesn't have rain gutters either. Compared to a problem a neighbor had with his Class C, I concluded that not having them might be a bonus.

Our neighbor has a Winnebago Class C he bought new maybe 6 years back. I was concerned about where the end of the forward section of the gutters terminated. It was right above the middle of the sliding side windows in the overhead bunk area.

When the rig was less than 3 years old, he had to have the entire overhead section rebuilt because of wood rot which started (guess where!) right below the end of the gutters. It was covered under warranty and I think CW did the repair (he bought the rig there).

The rebuild eliminated the side windows in the overhead, but didn't extend the gutters beyond the corener of the roof. The water still runs down the side, but there's no window frame for it to get through. IMO it was a stupid design to begin with and the rebuild didn't address the basic problem.

Gutters should extend beyond the corners of the roof!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Poor design aside...a properly installed gutter with extensions should funnel water away from the side and not onto the vehicle. Logic tells me that water running down the side without gutters should do the same. I'm just surprised that every TT has them and no larger class A/C etc does. I'm about taking care of the rig and spending more means i'm even more concerned. Just seems like a shortcoming to not have some way to deal with the run off that isn't just 'all over the place'.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced the awning rails with gutters two summers back on my 06 Hurricane 31D. Easy job. took a day each side. I also replaced all the putty tape under the roof material and installed the gutters using stainless steel hardware along with sealant on the threads. Seal both the top and bottom to ensure water never gets behind the rails. Added basic RV extension at both ends.

The problem your going to run up against is finding a supplier. The gutters come in 16' lengths which will require freight shipping ($$$). Another problem was some supply houses will only sell a minimum quantity which is usually enough to do several rigs. I found a local small RV service center that had no minimum order and their supplier cut them in half (8' lengths) and shipped via standard ground rates. I had to order in 16 foot lengths which worked out fine with a bit of waste for a 31' coach. Continues length like a house would have been nice but they still work. Butt the two ends against each other and a dab of sealant to water proof.

(Freedom RV Rentals | VA RV Dealers | Virginia RV Dealership and RV Rentals) Freedom RV, 11256 Old Telegraph Road Ashland, VA 23005 804-798-3379, is where I found them. Cost me about $94.67 for 64 feet of gutter. With basic extension no more black strains on the coach. Sorry but no images of the coach where you can see the gutters. Best upgrade for the cost.

Also when I level my coach I try and set the driver's side front corner low to drain the AC's that direction if possible.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote