Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Noisy air conditioners

I'm spending my first week in very warm area, requiring running the air constantly. Both airs are very noisy, making it difficult to hold a conversation. This can't be right, I'm with several other RVs and they're all much, much quieter. I'm under warranty, and debating if there's a fix.
Hawg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Ned to know what brand and model RV YOU have please.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out some other "same brand units" . It may just be that is how they are. You should get used to a continual noise. Most people won't get used to being hot.

We sleep better in our motor home than our house , largely because of the consistent drone of the A/C
Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Sorry, thought that was in my signature. 2014 Thor Palazzo.
Hawg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Are your AC's ducted. That eliminates a lot of the noise. On my ducted unit the ceiling grid has a "super cool" position that directs it straight out of the AC and not through the ducts which increases the noise a lot.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could check out this thread under the Palazzo threads. See if it helps. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/dome...se-258401.html
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

Noisy inside or noisy outside? If you have the Colman Mach A/C you need to check what type of fan blade they used for the condenser. The original six blade fans were ridiculously noisy outside. Changing to the new three blade fan reduced the outside noise significantly and reduced the inside noise slightly.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

Our previous 2012 Layton had a ducted Dometic unit that was a little noisy if you were in that end of the TT. Up in the bedroom not too bad. We just traded for a 2016 Keystone Sprinter, 36' with a Coleman Mach series ducted with the super cool feature. Much, much quieter. One of the first things I noticed when I went in for the walk through. We've spent one weekend in it and in the bedroom it is really quiet, especially with the door closed. Earlier this summer we were parked next to a big 5er, pretty new and the a/c unit outside would almost drown ours out inside of our unit. I wanted to say something to him but he didn't seem to notice, I guess. It was terrible. I would take it back to the dealer and make sure everything is installed and set up properly. See if they have another one on the lot that you could compare it to. That would drive me nutty.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had a choice, I would always insist on Carrier Air-V units because I felt that they were more quiet inside, (and didn't produce condensation drip on the outside), and I always had a good experience with them, (I know some people never liked them).

But, they are no longer available. Now my RVs come with Coleman Mach units which are noisy beasts inside, (compared to my old Carrier units).

I have compared mine with others and they are as quiet as they are going to get.

To reduce noise, I run them at the "low" setting, or will use only one, (if the temperature outside permits).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner