Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to captjsr
Onan 5.5 generator shutting off while driving.

I have 2015 Thor Windsport 34F and was having my generator shutting down while driving so took my RV to a nearby Cummins Power South dealer. I had my generator serviced and discussed my problem with it shutting down.
The service writer was quick to explain the problem and their fix. Heat was from the unit was the problem and not being vented correct. Thor's location of generator was causing a venting problem so Cummins came up with a fix. A Onan heat deflector kit, A053D016. The kit cost $234.57 + tax + labor.
I haven't had a chance to see how it helps but was told many have been installed.
captjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjsr View Post
I have 2015 Thor Windsport 34F and was having my generator shutting down while driving so took my RV to a nearby Cummins Power South dealer. I had my generator serviced and discussed my problem with it shutting down.
The service writer was quick to explain the problem and their fix. Heat was from the unit was the problem and not being vented correct. Thor's location of generator was causing a venting problem so Cummins came up with a fix. A Onan heat deflector kit, A053D016. The kit cost $234.57 + tax + labor.
I haven't had a chance to see how it helps but was told many have been installed.
Good write-up. I hope it helps someone down the road. Just a thought. This is a Thor design error. Will they pick up the tab?

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Onan 5500. It would run fine when stationary, but shut off when moving. Found if the oil level was not just full, but instead filled to the tippy top, it would not incurred the problem. The low oil shut off was erroneously cutting in. Also a bad fuel pump can cause similar symptom. .
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

Some of the 4000's were having the same problems. Mine shut off and was showing a 3-6 code which was overheat. I researched the problem and ended up getting a vent made for the generator bay door specifically for the 4000. Solved my problem. The 5.5 has a different vent and exhaust system.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to captjsr
I now have a three hr trip with the generator running with an A/C load on and no generator shutdowns.
As far as I'm concerned that vent installed cured the problem.
captjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjsr View Post
I now have a three hr trip with the generator running with an A/C load on and no generator shutdowns.
As far as I'm concerned that vent installed cured the problem.
Great news! Love a good ending to a bad story.

Do you know if this problem is only on older units? I am wondering if the fan belt could be slipping or the radiator is dirty. I am past do for a replacement but I am not in a hurry because getting the genset out is a real pain. It is not on slides. 8K diesel. I love this coach but Winnebago took a few shortcuts that don't make sense.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Commercial Member

i have found that changing the oil to a 15w-40 weight eliminates the problem of shutting down while driving. the oil heats up and thins out with the change in temps. especially in the summer. onan recommends this in the manual. although it doesnt state oil weight, as i remember.
changing lanes, sudden stops, and other movements cause the oil to flow away from the level sensor, causing the gen to shut down try it. it solved my problem
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i have found that changing the oil to a 15w-40 weight eliminates the problem of shutting down while driving. the oil heats up and thins out with the change in temps. especially in the summer. onan recommends this in the manual. although it doesnt state oil weight, as i remember.
changing lanes, sudden stops, and other movements cause the oil to flow away from the level sensor, causing the gen to shut down try it. it solved my problem
Why would you run anything else in your generator? It is a diesel and requires API CJ-4 spec with any grade. The lighter grades are for temps in the 30's and below if I recall correctly. I use Royal Purple in all of my machines.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Tags
generator, onan