Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan 5500 Generator Surging

I posted this over on the main Class A forum but this forum has been such a huge resource I felt I had to give back.
------
The problem: Onan 5500 Gasoline powered generator in our 2015 Thor Challenger developed what I can best describe as frequent surge in operation. It was also fluctuating the electrical power. It continued to get worst. I looked all over the internet and could not find a good answer until I went to this website https://www.equinerv.com/node/2279. It REALLY helped.

Bottomline I followed the directions for using Sea Foam and WOW problem fixed. Apparently the carburetor had gotten "gummed up" and the Sea Foam cleaned it out.

We are at least 140 miles from a repair facility for our generator and without this fix our winter travel plans would have been significantly altered.

Thanks to the folks over at EquineRV.com.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never heard anything about sea foam. How did you put the sea foam in? Is it a spray?
Thanks..
Old 01-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
NMRVer - We were having a real problem (probably contaminated fuel) I found the link in the article linked in the post. The link gives some very specific steps. Sea Foam cleaned the carburetor deposits (apparently) and the generator just hums away now! It was a lucky find for us - the alternative was not pretty.

PS: I bought some of the Sea Foam gas additive while we are still so far from any form of help.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:53 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Onan 5500 Generator Surging

Mine runs better when I have it parked close to Sea Foam....

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ted - as good as the stuff is I can believe it. Really helped

Tags
generator, onan