Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Opening and closing slides

We own a :2013 tuscany XTE 40 ft just wondering what procedure everyone is using to put the slides in and out. We have been letting the air out then jacks to level then slides out. Reversing the procedure to retract slides in jacks up then air up. We have started to hear popping sound and noises coming from the kitchen slide. Almost like it isn't stoping in time , and squeaking on the rollers . Just wondering if we are doing everything in sequence .

Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do almost the same but the difference is ithat I retract the slides, then air up the bags and then raise the leveling jacks. When we set up I deflate the bags, the set the leveling jacks and the extend the slides.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Most definitely leveling jacks down before extending, during, and retracting. Also, hold your switch for a few extra seconds after extending and retracting to help keep the rails/tracks aligned.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Thanks for the replies sounds like we are doing it right . But concerned about the noises we are starting to here.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
Thanks for the replies sounds like we are doing it right . But concerned about the noises we are starting to here.

Have you lubed the slides lately?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
I have had the impression that there is nothing to lube. Please explain.

Thanks Ken
Old 09-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Thanks for the reply but I was under the impression there wasn't anything to lube
Old 09-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
There are tons of threads on this site about slide lube. U need search.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two theories and Manufacturers subscribe to both.... So Read The Fine Manual.

Now Damon and I (I live in a Damon) subscribe to the theory you level first.. That way everything is nice and square (or as square as it gets) and your slides should slide in and out nicely Sounds like you support that theory as well.

Popping can be a slide jumping a tooth (mine do that)

Some however say slide out THEN level.. Why I do not know. If the RV is on uneven ground it is possible for the frame to torque a bit and jam things up for you.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have had the impression that there is nothing to lube. Please explain.

Thanks Ken
Oh yes, there are things to lube. Lookup Schwintek slide lube. There are videos to watch.

You will become acquainted with your new friend, a can of CRC brand lubricant as recommend by Thor/Schwintek.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two theories and Manufacturers subscribe to both.... So Read The Fine Manual.

Now Damon and I (I live in a Damon) subscribe to the theory you level first.. That way everything is nice and square (or as square as it gets) and your slides should slide in and out nicely Sounds like you support that theory as well.

Popping can be a slide jumping a tooth (mine do that)

Some however say slide out THEN level.. Why I do not know. If the RV is on uneven ground it is possible for the frame to torque a bit and jam things up for you.
That popping sound makes me cringe it just doesn't seem like it should be doing that. Will not break a tooth.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Oh yes, there are things to lube. Lookup Schwintek slide lube. There are videos to watch.

You will become acquainted with your new friend, a can of CRC brand lubricant as recommend by Thor/Schwintek.
I just looked up the web site great information even found a u tube video which shows what to do. Thanks for the info I keep forgetting if all else fails Google

Ken
Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post

Just looked it up the first thing on my list is to get a can of CRC

Thanks Ken
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We own a :2013 tuscany XTE 40 ft just wondering what procedure everyone is using to put the slides in and out. We have been letting the air out then jacks to level then slides out. Reversing the procedure to retract slides in jacks up then air up. We have started to hear popping sound and noises coming from the kitchen slide. Almost like it isn't stoping in time , and squeaking on the rollers . Just wondering if we are doing everything in sequence .

Ken
The REAL answer to this question is: What does the factory or owners manual say to do? On our rig we level, deploy the slides, then relevel if necessary as per the factory manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote