Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
Teblue, if we made sure everything works on our new RV before leaving the dealer I'm pretty certain there would be no new RV's on the road.
isn't that the truth! no way to know until you use it and even then it takes a year for the warranty to expire for all the other stuff to break
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #30

Opinions on Thor Aria

That floor plan has been the most popular and has been extended to the Venetian and Tuscany. The dilemma is choosing which level to get but the Tuscany version of the floor plan is in first place and all the add-ons seem to justify the hefty price delta. Same floor plan now also available from Entegra, Jayco and Berkshire/Berkshire XL. Really popular layout and will be our next pusher. Just don’t know what model but definitely that floor plan.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #31

FWIW
General RV now has 2019 Aria 3901's and Venetian J40's with only a 30K price difference. That 30K gets you a 400 hp ISL engine and Hydraulics slides not to mention the other upgrades (satellite dish etc). For 2020 the Venetian J40 is now an R40 with some subtle floorplan differences and the engine is an ISL 380.Seems to me now is the time to strike for that floor plan.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
That floor plan has been the most popular and has been extended to the Venetian and Tuscany. The dilemma is choosing which level to get but the Tuscany version of the floor plan is in first place and all the add-ons seem to justify the hefty price delta. Same floor plan now also available from Entegra, Jayco and Berkshire/Berkshire XL. Really popular layout and will be our next pusher. Just don’t know what model but definitely that floor plan.
Which floor plan are you referring to?
USN Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
2017 Aria 3401

I am writing this with the hope that this may help one person with their decision to purchase a Thor product. By way of background we have owned 5 RVs over the past 28 years. We fully understand and live with the fact that there will always be issues with every manufacturer and we expect to make our own repairs. What we didn’t expect was Thor to wash their hands completely and take no responsibility for poor quality workmanship.
With that said here is the saga of our 2017 Thor Aria 3401. We purchased this coach because it met all of our criteria; size, layout and king-size bed. Here are the major issues we had.
1. The first complaint is Thor does not have model specific Owner’s Manuals and when calling Customer Service several techs did not know the manufacturer of many components in the Aria. This makes it difficult to self-diagnose and make your own repairs.
2. At delivery it was raining, the windshield was leaking and had to be replaced.
3. The full slide while retracting tore the handle off the drawer below the washer/dryer. I had Thor send a blank replacement drawer front and I modified it to work.
4. Driver side front slide rubbed on faux marble and damaged trim moldings on slide.
5. Headlight bezel on passenger side flew off on freeway. We checked driver side bezel and it was missing 4 of 6 screws.
6. Daytime running lights not functioning because they were not plugged in.
7. Driver side leveling jack would not retract properly for the entire time we owned it.
8. Bundle of wires hanging out from under bed with several broken wires. Thor could not tell me what they were for and had no wiring diagrams.
9. Kitchen outlets not working from delivery. After 15 months and several attempts to repair, the entire kitchen wall was opened to find broken wires. Again, it was out of warranty and Thor would not accept responsibility even though it was on several previous work orders.
10. Bathroom GFI not working. When two dealers and Thor had no answer for repair, I discovered online the issue was between the inverter and new generation GFI. Purchased and installed an old school GFI only available on eBay and problem was solved.
11. All awnings missing 50% of screws.
12. Microwave had to be replaced.
13. Screen door screen was delaminated at delivery.
14. Cabinet doors in bathroom had to be replaced at delivery.
15. Bed could not be operated from main control panel. Lived with the issue and used the switch in the bedroom.
16. Eight-foot-long crown molding fell off in bedroom because it was not attached with nails or adhesive.
17. Bed actuator wiring failed in Canada, making the bed unusable until is was repaired by mobile repair. Discovered that any further repair or actuator motor replacement would have necessitated removing the entire over bed cabinetry.
18. Transfer switch failed in Canada. One week after replacement the electrical system stopped functioning on shore power and generator for a day. Returned to dealership and problem could not be replicated even with photos of all the fault codes.
19. Three outside basement storage compartments were replaced due to water damage. Damage was discovered three months after warranty expiration. Water intrusion was from leaking graywater lines in full slide running down interior walls and not visible.
Every item on the list except for the bed actuator, transfer switch and storage compartments were just frustrating, irritating and somewhat expected from a Thor product. The cost to replace the storage compartments was in excess of $15,000. Thor would not participate in any costs because the dealership failed to call them during the repairs. The damage was obviously a result of an issue that began long before the warranty period expired and discovered only three months after expiration when the slide tray fell out while in Canada. I was willing to participate and accept partial responsibility and was hoping Thor would have felt the same way with a desire to satisfy a customer. Unfortunately, they just referred me to their warranty policy and said they wished there was something they could do to help and were very sorry they couldn't. After the service technician could not replicate the last electrical problem, he told me if it was his coach, he would sell it immediately because something major was on the horizon. He had no motivation to tell me that as his dealership didn’t sell Tiffin.
Knowing all of the issues and the technician’s assessment of the coach we could not in good conscience sell it to an individual, so we traded it on a new Tiffin after 23 months of ownership at a big discount.
Trokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Food for Thought

We are now in our third year with our 3601. We had a long list of things to fix under warranty, but they were all nickel and dime stuff. Your list is not and it is disturbing.
Last year we attended the TDC rally in Elkhart Indiana. At the last night dinner a new VP of Operations from Thor spoke and fielded questions. I got the feeling that he had a good attitude to fix quality issues at Thor Motor Coach. As troubling is the list is, the lack of accountability is even worse.
I have been told that nuts like us trade in and buy every 3 to 4 years. In fact my wife and I did some looking this past winter. Two things will hold me back: We are happy with our unit, it serves our needs, and it functions, second, with stories like yours I would be hard pressed to buy another Thor until I saw some evidence that the quality issues are being addressed.
I have been told that Thor scans these sites of issues. I hope that they do and wake up.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN Retiree View Post
Which floor plan are you referring to?

The basic Aria 3901 opposing slide sofas with TV on televator behind one of them, overhead bunk, bath and a half, kitchen slide out console.

Same floor plan now available in the Venetian J40 and Tuscany 40RT. Berkshire offers it in the 39A, also in XL 40D version. Entegra has the Reatta 39T2 and Jayco as the Embark 39T2.

Quite a variety at all kinds of prices for the same excellent layout. If we ever change, it would be for one of these.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
The basic Aria 3901 opposing slide sofas with TV on televator behind one of them, overhead bunk, bath and a half, kitchen slide out console.

Same floor plan now available in the Venetian J40 and Tuscany 40RT. Berkshire offers it in the 39A, also in XL 40D version. Entegra has the Reatta 39T2 and Jayco as the Embark 39T2.

Quite a variety at all kinds of prices for the same excellent layout. If we ever change, it would be for one of these.
That is a great layout. Wonder what the quality of build differences are. More research!
USN Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #37

May I respond to item #1 on Trokay's list. In my experience all Motorhome manufacturers have very very substandard owners manuals. In the past I have always been able to go the manufacturers website and download the owners manual for a coach I was interested in purchasing.
In the last six months Thor has a new feature in the owners experience section of their website. Once you sign in with the VIN there is a list of all the manuals you might need for you coach Everything from the awnings to the washing machine. Also there are specific systems manuals example, a manual for the Firefly system. Lastly there is a page where you can download all the specific items installed on your coach , everything from the air conditioners to the slideout system. Each item has the model number of the item installed and the serial number of the component. This feature is for coaches 2014 and newer. I wish this feature had been available during the first year I owned my Thor it really is a giant step forward.

Also at the RV show in Tampa this past Feb there was a Fleetwood Discovery 38W with the 3901 floorplan too.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Angry

We have a 2018 Aria 4000, which we chose because of the awesome floor plan! It's lovingly referred to as our lemon. It's been back to the dealer over 12 times and to Thor 3 times... so far. It's our running joke as to what major repairs will be needed after a trip. Every rain we get water ... everywhere, but always in different places. Our storage compartment floors have completely rotted out (that's the newest), there are at least 2 erroneous screws that come from something after each excursion. The toilet lid came off in the master. You have to dismantle the toilet to reinstall. The large slide out fell off the track and wouldn't retract... the front jacks wouldn't lower. Our furnace exploded and they "had never seen anything like that before." Those are just some of the major issues. Apparently Thor experienced their worst turnover in 2017/2018, when ours was built. Yet they don't stand behind their product. And it takes 4 months to get an appointment with them. Be very careful when considering and get the extended warranty.

Is there a good way to discern the quality repair servicers? The "not my job" is getting really aggravating. We are outside of Chicagoland.
bossmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Thor

This past fall we attended our second TDC rally in Goshen. We do it for a couple of reasons; to hook up with our Thor friends and also check out what Thor is up to with new products, management, etc.
This time we took two factory tours, one to look at a new unit and the second was the group tour for the club. We also took a tour of Newmar. If I knew nothing in advance I would vote the Thor factory tour the best and their manufacturing scheme superior.
However, I continue to read these "horror" stories about Thor units and it is distressing.
Our 2017 Aria has had some issues. The worst issue was door seals. Before we encountered a problem I sealed the entire basement and coated all of the joints with "FlexSeal". Then I took out all of the seals and replaced them with a sturdier version. I still had some leakage, so at the last rally I bought Thor's second version improved seal and replaced them all again. I also added a rubber backing to the door to make contact with the seal.
In the new units the floors are now made out of "non-organic" material, so if there is leakage, not wood rotting.
we have looked at the new 3701 Aria. Three things are holding us back:
1. We don't need it. Our unit works for our needs and no issues..
2. Terrified of new unit issues
3. We don't need it.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneman View Post
I "almost" love the Aria 3601. I'm not too happy with the electric induction stove and the 12"6" height seems unnecessary as I wasn't planning on hauling a lot of freight.

I'd very much appreciate opinions from "those in the know". Enough engine? Good chassis? Reliable brand? Is there a more reliable brand with the same floor plan at a similar price, etc?

Quick reference here:

www.thormotorcoach.com/aria/floor-plans/3601/
I placed an order for a 2018 aria in january of 2017, when it arrived at the dealer in april i immediately went to look at it. The basement areas wee full of water, the left rear slide had a gap under it that you could put your hand in, there was a repair on the front hood under windshield that had been repaired that was a large lump and many other things loose or falling off inside. I refused to take it and asked for my deposit back and the dealer, General rv said they hadn't had time to fix everything yet. This was brand new was only driven from the factory.I would steer away from Thor. Good chassis and engine. Ended up with a Phaeton.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Thor VP Operations

At the 2018 TDC rally we were introduced to a new VP of Operations, Jeff Newport. After dinner people lined up to talk with him. Most were upset about their coach quality. I was impressed that he listened, did not argue, and was polite. I think I was the only one in line that didn't give him grief.
At the 2019 rally Mr. Newport again attended dinner, this time with his family. I was glad that he lasted a year because he struck me as a no nonsense guy. I saw evidence of this at the factory tour. The place was clean and well laid out. He added a new wall lamination building and instituted daily department problem solving meetings. He has also reduced the daily production output with more emphasis on quality.
I hope this guy sticks with Thor. He may be the solution to their QC issues.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Mr Newport - VP of Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishilldav View Post
At the 2018 TDC rally we were introduced to a new VP of Operations, Jeff Newport. After dinner people lined up to talk with him. Most were upset about their coach quality. I was impressed that he listened, did not argue, and was polite. I think I was the only one in line that didn't give him grief.
At the 2019 rally Mr. Newport again attended dinner, this time with his family. I was glad that he lasted a year because he struck me as a no nonsense guy. I saw evidence of this at the factory tour. The place was clean and well laid out. He added a new wall lamination building and instituted daily department problem solving meetings. He has also reduced the daily production output with more emphasis on quality.
I hope this guy sticks with Thor. He may be the solution to their QC issues.

Any chance you got his contact information? After reading some issues (wish I knew about this site before buying my Aria), I realize what I have had to deal with is FAR beyond what any RV owner has had to deal with. We've actually had the RV at Thor 3 times and not only do they not fix the issue correctly, I usually get it back with another issue! Fortunately I found someone honest and with a good work ethic in Chicagoland ... but for what we paid for the RV, I'd like to have someone there take ownership of the issues!
bossmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor