Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #1

Outlaw 38RF

Has anyone see the Outlaw 38RF yet? I understand it was at the Hershey show a week ago. I've been looking around the Internet but have yet to find any pictures. Did someone go to the Hershey show and take any?

One change I'd like to see before they go into production is to swap the position of the retractable 50" LED TV with the exterior so it's in a more direct viewing position of the seating. That should be quite easy to do. I've already sent that request to them.

Also hopefully there is a computer draw in the buffet dinette.

My suggested modification of the Dinette.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John,

Saw reference to the new RF on RVBusiness and the Outlaw website:
Floor Plans | 2016 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class A RVs with Garage

I have not read that there was even a prototype 38RF at Hershey.

The RE and RF are amazing with the vaulted ceiling in the master and of course, the rear half bath, wet bar and Fiesta Deck.

We Outlaw Toy Hauler owners are calling these the "In-Law" because they are not Toy Haulers...but they are pretty nice.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #3

I also posted this on the Thor forum and one person I believe said that it was there or at least that's how I read his post. I'm hopping that it will be at the Pomona show next month along with the 38RE.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #4

Timon,
The 38RF is a model that I have an interest in as well and thought that it was a shame to have the 50" TV at such an angle to the theater seating. I am going to the Austin show in February hopefully there will be one there. I have only seen the few pictures that they have on the Thor website but the floor-plan looks like just what I am looking for.

Please let everyone know if you find a good link or video walk-through. Not an RV owner as yet but I am looking.

Steve
huskerpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpick View Post
Timon,
The 38RF is a model that I have an interest in as well and thought that it was a shame to have the 50" TV at such an angle to the theater seating. I am going to the Austin show in February hopefully there will be one there. I have only seen the few pictures that they have on the Thor website but the floor-plan looks like just what I am looking for.

Please let everyone know if you find a good link or video walk-through. Not an RV owner as yet but I am looking.

Steve
Did find out that the TV pivots, which helps with the parallax, but still you're looking at an angle across the dinette and there is no reason for that. They need to move it to the other side pure and simple.

It would also move the outdoor TV further from the door which is also a good idea.

Here are some pictures from the Outlaw website. Don't expect any videos quite yet since they're just started being delivered.

Since we have two large dogs the Dinette gives a lot more floor space when traveling than the Booth dinette on the 38RE. We'd just have to put the chairs in the bedroom or next to the wardrobe neither of which is a big deal.

The Theater seating can be replaced with the optional Sofa.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To Steve,

And...John, did you see the first 38RF at MHSRV has aleady sold?!
They have a real winner on their hands.
I can see why. It addresses a few major issues in available RV's like; campsite side dinette (who wants to sit and look down at the neighbors), second-half bath in a gas RV, King sized bed, all residential galley, and of course the patio and wet bar are an industry exclusive

The ad is still up for pictures:
#STH091222817 - 2016 Thor Motor Coach Outlaw Residence Edition 38RF Res Fridge, Bath & 1/2, 4 TVs, 26K Chassis for sale in Alvarado TX

Safe OutlawTravels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Here are my concerns with the in-laws, especially the RF:

1) That's a big, heavy slide. If they are using the Schwintek system, they do not have a good reputation. I hold my breath every time I use mine. Lots of manufacturers are using this mechanism now so it's tough to get away from.

2) It's a big, tall vehicle to drive around. The only reason I chose it is because I like to bring my toys. Otherwise, there are plenty of other options that are just as nice but less worry regarding traveling (underpass and gas station height) and storage (many garages are just over 12' tall).

3) Thor manufacturing. Unfortunately you can say this about most manufacturers...

I travel with two medium-sized (97 lbs and 29" tall, and 85 lbs and 27" tall) ridgebacks and find the space plenty adequate for them in the LS. They love being out on the deck and in the garage when we're set up, and have no issues moving around or finding a place to sleep when we're over nighting in a parking lot.

The RF definitely seems like a great 2-person vehicle if you don't mind the above mentioned issues. I saw a few RE's being built at the factory earlier this year and they are very spacious. The 3 slides in the RF make that back room huge and the patio is a great bonus (even though you need to go through the bathroom to get to it). A lot depends on the type of camping you plan on doing.

Best of luck, and I look forward to reading about your travels!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Here are my concerns with the in-laws, especially the RF:

1) That's a big, heavy slide. If they are using the Schwintek system, they do not have a good reputation. I hold my breath every time I use mine. Lots of manufacturers are using this mechanism now so it's tough to get away from.
Agreed...but these big slides have the 3Trax - not the 2 track used on the smaller slides. There has been almost no complaints about the 3Trax.
Having said that...the RF's galley in a slide (water, drains, propane, power) creates a whole list of possible issues in the out-years as seals and fixtures age. Hope these things are well addressed.

Quote:
2) It's a big, tall vehicle to drive around. The only reason I chose it is because I like to bring my toys. Otherwise, there are plenty of other options that are just as nice but less worry regarding traveling (underpass and gas station height) and storage (many garages are just over 12' tall).
Disagree...yes, the Outlaw looks tall compared to other Class A's because the front is so much lower than the back...but many conventional Class A's (like most Diesel Pushers) are 13'tall at the rooftop fixtures. The bedroom ceiling in the 38RE/RF is so high because of the dropped rear frame originally made for us Toy Hauler owners...with no Diesel engine under the rearend.

Quote:
3) Thor manufacturing. Unfortunately you can say this about most manufacturers...
Agreed. Unless you are buying a Featherlite or similar custom coach, all the brands are having problems. They mostly all share the same components and chassis, so the buyer must demand a working rig at delivery by inspection. The dealer (IMHO) is key to this.

Quote:
I travel with two medium-sized (97 lbs and 29" tall, and 85 lbs and 27" tall) ridgebacks and find the space plenty adequate for them in the LS. They love being out on the deck and in the garage when we're set up, and have no issues moving around or finding a place to sleep when we're over nighting in a parking lot.

The RF definitely seems like a great 2-person vehicle if you don't mind the above mentioned issues. I saw a few RE's being built at the factory earlier this year and they are very spacious. The 3 slides in the RF make that back room huge and the patio is a great bonus (even though you need to go through the bathroom to get to it). A lot depends on the type of camping you plan on doing.
These Residential Outlaws are only lacking the loft...still have sleeping for 4-8 with the dinette in the RE and front drop-down bunk and sofa sleeper in both. Sure, a couple would be VERY comfortable, but (IMHO) a family could easily use them.

If we we didn't need the garage for our toys and dogs (travel with several Saint Bernards), these would be high on our list of possible RV's.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
And...John, did you see the first 38RF at MHSRV has aleady sold?!
They have a real winner on their hands.
I did and I agree.

Quote:
...the RF's galley in a slide (water, drains, propane, power) creates a whole list of possible issues in the out-years as seals and fixtures age. Hope these things are well addressed.
As soon as I can find a RF to check out I'll look at how they handle these. However, assuming that they use good flexible lines in well laid out cable trays there really shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Disagree...yes, the Outlaw looks tall compared to other Class A's because the front is so much lower than the back...but many conventional Class A's (like most Diesel Pushers) are 13'tall at the rooftop fixtures. The bedroom ceiling in the 38RE/RF is so high because of the dropped rear frame originally made for us Toy Hauler owners...with no Diesel engine under the rearend.
My only worry is that I have enough room for the hight of the solar panels.

Quote:
These Residential Outlaws are only lacking the loft...still have sleeping for 4-8 with the dinette in the RE and front drop-down bunk and sofa sleeper in both. Sure, a couple would be VERY comfortable, but (IMHO) a family could easily use them.
The RF has either Theater seating or a sofa with a bed so that makes it either 4 or 6 for sleeping but only 4 or 5 for traveling due to the number of seat belts.

Quote:
If we we didn't need the garage for our toys and dogs (travel with several Saint Bernards), these would be high on our list of possible RV's.
With so much floor space in the RF plus the deck I think we'd be fine in it. However with several Saints I can understand the need for something like a LS.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #10

I am looking at the 38RF because it is more of a two adult RV. Just the wife and I with two medium dogs and maybe a mother. I like the back patio option and the big screen TVs. I have no RV experience, but a toy hauler might also be nice if the Goldwing fit in it. I was also thinking it might tow my Jeep. I Like the King bed and the Theater seating. That's mainly why I was looking at this setup.
huskerpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpick View Post
I am looking at the 38RF because it is more of a two adult RV. Just the wife and I with two medium dogs and maybe a mother. I like the back patio option and the big screen TVs. I have no RV experience, but a toy hauler might also be nice if the Goldwing fit in it. I was also thinking it might tow my Jeep. I Like the King bed and the Theater seating. That's mainly why I was looking at this setup.
We have the same basic thinking. BTW, if when in travel mode you can take the two chairs and put them in front of the washer/dryer cabinet and tie down with some Velcro straps, it will give you more floor space for the dogs. You can't do that with the RE's booth.

Guess I'd better get up and ready if I'm going to get to the Pomona show by the time it opens. It's an hours drive
Old 10-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
...Guess I'd better get up and ready if I'm going to get to the Pomona show by the time it opens. It's an hours drive
Well?
Have read there were the 3 Toy Hauler Outlaws there (37LS, 37RB and 29H)...
What did you see?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Well?
Have read there were the 3 Toy Hauler Outlaws there (37LS, 37RB and 29H)...
What did you see?
I saw all three. Didn't like the LS and RB for several reasons. First, the loft is only 33" tall so there is no way we're sleeping up there. Second, the headroom. Is only about 6' 2" in the loft so my head hits it that makes my idea on putting a Murphy bed in the LS is a no go. These are great for some people but not us.

The RE is great with lot of room for the us and the dogs but I still think the RF will be the better coach for us. I just wish it was there so I could have confirmed it. However I'd order a RF based on the RE if I couldn't actually check one out.

Turns out that the Dinette table they used in the RF is used in other Thor coaches that have a TV on a lift so they should be able to position the TV anyplace on the dinette. I still thing the TV should move forward.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I saw all three. Didn't like the LS and RB for several reasons. First, the loft is only 33" tall so there is no way we're sleeping up there. Second, the headroom. Is only about 6' 2" in the loft so my head hits it that makes my idea on putting a Murphy bed in the LS is a no go. These are great for some people but not us.

The RE is great with lot of room for the us and the dogs but I still think the RF will be the better coach for us. I just wish it was there so I could have confirmed it. However I'd order a RF based on the RE if I couldn't actually check one out.

Turns out that the Dinette table they used in the RF is used in other Thor coaches that have a TV on a lift so they should be able to position the TV anyplace on the dinette. I still thing the TV should move forward.

I was told by the Thor Rep at the Pomona show that the tv in the RF floorpan has a latch & when unlatched, can swivel. So it might be okay in the rear of the dinette, though it would likely still be better if located in the front.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote