Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 AM   #1

Outlaw Bald tires @ 8800 miles due to front end alignment

This is my first RV so this is all very new to me, please be patient. Here's the REALLY long story, scroll to the end for the short version.

I live in MD and bought my Outlaw in CA on Feb 24. I've only ever purchased new vehicles in the past due to reliability concerns, but I really wanted the 37LS floor plan and so when I found this coach at a dealer in CA I elected to make the trip on my motorcycle. The coach was used with about 5800 miles, but one of my sticking points at sale was the dealer confirmed for me in writing that the Ford & Thor warranties were transferable to me under the original 12 mo period (exp May). I also purchased an extended warranty (protection plan) through Compass (American Guardian), just in case.

After some delays getting comfortable operating everything, slow PDI, a failed inverter in AZ after pickup, and temporarily flying back to MD for work I finally started to drive the coach back to MD on Apr 8. I drove continuously and stopped to sleep exclusively at rest stops or truck stops so I arrived by Apr 11 with around 8800 miles on the odometer.

When I arrived in MD I stopped at a mechanic friend's shop to look it over before I took it in for MD state inspection. I also asked him about my tires cause I noticed them wearing poorly over the last day or so. He looked around and noticed my differential leaking and suggested poor alignment for the tires though he said the two were unrelated.

Ford immediately agreed to pay for the differential leak. I took it to the recommended commercial ford truck shop and the differential seal was replaced earlier this week. They confirmed the assessment of my friend that it is likely due to a poor alignment but they don't have a machine big enough to perform the alignment, they can only replace the tires. They did recommend a place a few miles ago to do the alignment.

Ford flatly refused to warranty the tires and alignment, they said Thor should have aligned it after they built the coach. Thor says I should have aligned it after I picked it up from the dealer. The dealer is being unresponsive. I did see the manual recommended aligning when fully loaded, however, I read that after I got to AZ. Plus at that point it was just me, my motorcycle, and a few things I could carry all of which weighs less than having a full water tank.

Between new front tires and an alignment, I'm looking at $1600. I left the coach at the shop and told them to wait cause I know it's much harder to get reimbursed than it is to have it covered upfront. So who should I be pressuring to cover this: Ford, Thor, CA dealer, my own wallet ?

TL/DR: 2nd owner of 2016 Outlaw still within original 12 mo period. Bought in CA drove to MD odo reads 8800, front tires now bald due to poor alignment. Who pays?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-12.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	160109   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-12 (1).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	160110  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you contacted Thor with your pictures and doc's?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Have you contacted Thor with your pictures and doc's?
I did call them initially when I spoke to Ford about the differential. I've been out of the country and just got back so I'm going to follow up again this week. I never sent them the pictures though. Can you recommend anyone to speak to or is the general customer service number my best bet?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks like an odd wear pattern to blame on alignment. Is the other tire worn the same way?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
That looks like an odd wear pattern to blame on alignment. Is the other tire worn the same way?
I was thinking the same thing. Is the tread on the side of the tire that is away from the camera worn excessively? I've never seen alignment problems result in "spots" being worn in tires.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Yup both fronts are worn like that. The drivers side is a little better but not much. The inside edge is worn a little less than the outside edge of the tire.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks more like an out-of-balance, out-of-round, or bad shock issue than an alignment issue. That kind of wear would indicate there was wheel hop. Was there any vibration or shake noticeable in the steering wheel at any particular speed perhaps? However, this is just my opinion based on the photo.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anthony,

I'm so sorry to be the barer of bad news...Thor Motor Coach (and all RV builders using the Ford F53) are VERY clear that they expect an alignment to be done after delivery.
TMC aligns the RV after the build, but after an owner loads another ton or so of gear, the axle geometry can change and a warranty claim could be challenged without an alignment.

A premium dealer will invite you to return after about the first 500-1000miles (figure you have settled on loading) to have a check-over and alignment. Other dealers just ignore the whole topic Then ignore you, when you complain

See this very blunt factory rep's overview at min 10:50. ALL THE DEALER'S GET THIS INFO IN WRITING and some ask/get a factory rep. visit like this:

There's lot of very interesting "factory insider" info in the video...like about the chassis build, starting at min 5:45. The whole video is worth a watch if you have any interest in this level of detail.

From the tire photo, it looks like alignment -and- tire balance -and- maybe even shock absorber issues were the cause for the tire wear...venture a guess that it was a challenge to drive sometimes:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-wear.png
Views:	75
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	160147

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If the alignment is out, and you start wearing the rubber off the tires, then the tire will get out of balance, causing it to wear even more.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

I couldn't tell you if there was significant vibration at the wheel or if it was tough to drive. This is the only RV I've ever driven and my regular vehicle is either a motorcycle or a Benz so the ride quality doesn't translate. The only ride issue I noticed is sway, which I plan to address with a sway bar modification.

In fact, since I did an out of state pick up to avoid CA tax, the dealer drove it 400 miles to the NV border while I followed in his car. He commented that it drives great when he handed me the keys so I'm sure he would've noticed a vibration if it was significant.

That video would've been helpful to watch prior to purchase . Plenty of good info there especially about the slide and drop down bunk. The dealer said ABSOLUTELY nothing about alignments when I picked it up. 450lbs for the bike, 175lbs for me, and 50 lbs in gear I was carrying on the bike doesn't equal another ton of load. My 2nd (and heavier) bike along with all the rest of my stuff is here in MD.

Tags
tires