Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #1919

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Dash board mount

My dash has busted loose from its mount (again) on the driver side. I am planning to try to remount it. My problem is, I am not sure where to install the screw i.e. are there beams I should search for, length of the screw (don't want to puncture the exterior), etc... any thoughts? Picture of the shoddy job local RV repair facility executed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	143702  
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #1920
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Russ,

Inside the Outlaw's walls are steel straps or plates underneath the interior luan where-ever something is possibly mounted and around every opening (window/door).

Like, I found there is steel all over the garage walls and up by the front seats.

Use a magnet to easily find these inserts.

In the case that you do not find a magnetic plate, the frame is welded aluminum, so can be located with a metal detector...if you have one.

Finally, if you find no good way to confirm the contents of the wall at the mount point...you could use a "drywall anchor" and add into the mounting some bead-foam safe adhesive (screw and glue, but ensure the glue won't liquefy a void in the wall foam). This is what we used for our loft stair rail:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1536326
Nothing will pull those out, short of destroying the wall.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #1921

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Steve. I don't have a metal detector, so I will try a magnet. I may have to try a couple of pilot holes. I will also head to Lowes and get some foam cement. I need to check the walls for seperation - again.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #1922

Ampere consumption?

What do you have installed in your Rv if you are not often hooked?

Hi from Italy!

In my 2011 Outlaw 3811 I have 2 6v 420ah master batteries and a Ctek 25000 25a recharging) but my ampere consumption seems too high for this system becaus in 1 day my batteries go down to the limit.

i have caluculate a winter ampere consumption around 20 ah per hour because the furnace running, 2 big tv (32" and 40") under inverter and other little "energy draculas"...

My Rv is never hooked so my only 2 font of energy is the genny and a 240w solar system that in winter doesn't give so much (max 4-5ah in the middle of the day)

My question is: what should I need to upgrade?

the charger? which one?
the batteries?which one? how many?
The solar panels?which one? how many?
tobetoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #1923
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,

The 2 original design batteries are just not enough electrical storage for anyone often using an Outlaw off-shore power.

I would start by adding a new set of 2 identical 6VDC batteries and see how that works. Charging 2 on the generator takes the same time as charging 4 if you set-up the system properly.

You can copy the GenII Outlaw with batteries in a bin like (ensure proper ventilation):
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2309694

If you want to jump with a bigger change, consider new technology batteries like Scott (Folker) did here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1974826
and
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2013811

Or add a bunch or AGM batteries like DoggyDaddy did here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1976174

More solar will help the situation too...lots of options there.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 AM   #1924

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I strengthened (I hope) the dash by adding several L brackets securing the ones to the wall with loctite adhesive (as Scarab recommended), The picture with the octopus wires is actually right above the steering wheel. I added two L shaped brackets to the bottom piece that is a spacer providing support for the dash cover. All L shaped brackets are hidden under the dash. I also cleaned up the wires with wire ties. The dash does not move. Test ride on Friday with a trip to Charlotte NC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	143833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	143834  

Old 11-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Max,

The 2 original design batteries are just not enough electrical storage for anyone often using an Outlaw off-shore power.

I would start by adding a new set of 2 identical 6VDC batteries and see how that works. Charging 2 on the generator takes the same time as charging 4 if you set-up the system properly.

You can copy the GenII Outlaw with batteries in a bin like (ensure proper ventilation):
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2309694

If you want to jump with a bigger change, consider new technology batteries like Scott (Folker) did here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1974826
and
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2013811

Or add a bunch or AGM batteries like DoggyDaddy did here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1976174

More solar will help the situation too...lots of options there.

Best luck

Ok...! you gave me a lot of stuff to study... thank you
tobetoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #1926
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
I strengthened (I hope) the dash by adding several L brackets ... Test ride on Friday with a trip to Charlotte NC.
GREAT JOB and thanks for the photos
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #1927

Looking for the post in here that replaced the stove/oven with an induction cook top and put drawers beneath. If someone knows which page it is on that would help. Otherwise I will just skim through and find if.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #1928
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Looking for the post in here that replaced the stove/oven with an induction cook top and put drawers beneath. If someone knows which page it is on that would help. Otherwise I will just skim through and find if.

Thanks
Tim,
I could be wrong...but I have no recall of that being done in an Outlaw (& posted here).
Going all electric is contrary to enabling better boondocking. Maybe that is in another thread?

And...unless you are now keeping the Outlaw, mods usually do not provide a 100% return on investment.

If it was us, we would acquire a countertop induction cook top and just use it sitting on the range cover.

I will offer that the stove was an option in some Outlaws opposite a cooktop and convection microwave. The space recovered was drawers that matched the other drawer faces...like these 29H's:

Name:	7153241_5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	145158

Name:	2CA59706-2832-45F2-95BA-157A0B7F6F4E.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	145159
Click to enlarge

Just my 2cents.
Safe Outlaw travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #1929

Thanks Steve. Its just an idea at this time. I'll look into the counter top induction cook top. We have found the oven to be difficult to use bordering on impossible. Looses heat too quick when you open the door and burns the bottom while leaving the top under cooked.

We do plan to put in a convection microwave just to make our lives easier.

Appreciate your leg work tho.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #1930
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Thanks Steve. Its just an idea at this time. I'll look into the counter top induction cook top. We have found the oven to be difficult to use bordering on impossible. Looses heat too quick when you open the door and burns the bottom while leaving the top under cooked.

We do plan to put in a convection microwave just to make our lives easier.

Appreciate your leg work tho.
Tim,

Totally agree about how the standard RV oven burns the bottom of many recipes...
Hacks are to place a cookie tray or even better, put a pizza stone at the bottom of the oven to reduce this.

It is caused by the oven's small box size...same reason it looses heat so fast when opened.

It is easy to use (easier than adapting recipes for a convection microwave) once you know some tricks.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #1931

Possibly my favorite if not most glamorous modification to our Outlaw yet. On our last trip the rubber ball seal on the OEM toilet failed. Although it still worked it no longer held water. A replacement seal was available for less than $20 but I decided to replace the entire unit with a full size model. I purchased the Dometic 320 Series Standard Height Toilet w/Hand Spray on Amazon for $245. Such an improvement!! I'm 6'4" and the little round OEM always made me feel like I was squatting on the floor. The installation was straightforward although a trip to Lowe's was required to make the water connection which was in a different location on the new one. I used a "sharkbite" fitting to connect a sink supply line that happened to have the same thread to the existing PEX.
Oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1932

Couple of mods to our newly acquired Outlaw.
Built some cupholders and adding a inverter in the blank spot above the electric panel..

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mh cup holders sharons tank 006.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	147106   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh cup holders sharons tank 002.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	147107