Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
This is the pump I've chosen. It's cheap enough and has to be better than the one I currently have. Plan to order after the new year. Thanks

Shurflo 4008-101-E65 3.o revolution

This appears to be the same pump I currently have. Probably going to order it anyway unless someone can suggest a better pump than this one.

Anyone???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #1948

Update on my water pump situation.

My issue was while taking a shower the water pressure would fall off and then come back. The pump seemed to be running all the time but would slow and speed up. I figured this was a sign the pump was failing.

Based on other posts here I found a Shuffle 4008 pump on amazon for about $67, give or take. I then reached my phone into the pump area and took a pick of mine to see what it was. Turns out I have this same exact pump. Not wanting to replace a bad pump for another potentially bad pump I called Shuffle to see if there was a better option for me. They suggested I clean out the pump and make sure the sediment catcher was clean. If this didn't fix the issue I could adjust the pressure via a set screw on the pressure switch.

Today the DW and I decided to pull the pump and see if we could get working right. Getting it out is not difficult after you remove the front panel. Cleaned out the sediment filter. It was actually pretty clean. Removed the 8 screws holding the front on the pump and didn't see any gunk in there. DW found the tech manual on Shuffle web site and read me the part about adjusting the pressure. I don't have the link but it should be simple to find on their site.

Basically this is how it goes....... Turn a faucet on very slow and listen for the pump to cycle. It should run and then shut off for at least 2 seconds. If it doesn't stay off for at least 2 seconds, like mine, then turn the set screw half a turn clockwise. I did this and then checked the shut off time again, 3.5sec approximately. Water pressure and stream seem better and the pump doesn't surge and continue to run like before.

Pretty simple adjustment if needed and saved me from buying an unnecessary part.

While in there I did find a couple of hoses that are leaking slowly at the coupling. I tried to tighten them and managed to get 2 to stop leaking. I still have 2 leakers. I guess I just need to replace the hoses. Does anyone know where to find them?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #1949
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Update on my water pump...
Tim,
GREAT UPDATE!
Never knew there was an adjustment...thanks!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Tim,
GREAT UPDATE!
Never knew there was an adjustment...thanks!
I wouldn't have known if I didn't call. Mine is mounted with that portion of the pump facing the back wall so you can't see it either.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #1951

New Year's fixes

I was able to get a lot of things done on the Coach today:

1) Cured the FQP, passenger side (driver's side appears to be OK, but I will do it later). I had been stressing about this for a while, especially as we just did a 6000 mile trip to Florida and back. Because of the noise, air leak and squeaks coming from the passenger front I always had it in the back of my mind. It turns out there were 12(!) of the infamous self-tapping screws in the panel from the door to the fender. Two were close together (4") at the front. Each of the screwheads were *completely* covered with caulk, and I spent most of the total time digging the caulk out of the Philips heads with a sharp knife. Seven of the screws were stripped, none were broken (the front seven screws). I was not able to use one hole as the new through hole came out too close to a cross-beam (another mm towards the back and I would have been able to get at least the nut hard against the beam). I ended up putting six carriage bolts in with lock washers. Bought some loc-tite but decided I didn't need it. One thing I didn't think about beforehand was the forward attachment point for the awning leg, which is screwed into the trim piece. This turned out to be a bit of a hassle to get the leg back in it's place when I was finished with the FQP.

OMG it's fixed. Such a relief!

2) replaced the genny tailpipe hanger. I have been using another type of hanger (coat) for a while. This is an OEM Cummins part, and nowhere I visited knew anything about it. I found it at Amazon. Have the p/n if anyone is interested.

3) Cut silver insulated reflecto and velcro to fit the upper cab windows. We often have sun coming in there and it's a beeyotch if there's nothing to block it while driving.

4) Used some velcro to attach the awning pull to the side of the coach. Has the added benefit of making it easier to "catch" with the long hook. Is anyone else driven insane by the "tap-tap-tapity-tap-tap" of the pull hitting as you drive? The only thing worse was not knowing what the noise was.

5) put an LED strip light on the awning barrel ala' Focker (can't find the post right this second). Love this. My LED strip didn't quite make it the whole way to the end. I thought Focker said he had to cut his? Anyway, this is an easy, nice mod.

Next up before the next road trip (Friday!) is new LED bulbs for the headlights and some extra LED strips for the bottom of the grill (This). Water pump adjustment too (thanks, Tim!!). Hopefully both these things will make a big difference for us. Hate the stock drive-by-candlelight!

Cheers
Mike
Old 01-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #1952
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
I was able to get a lot of things done on the Coach today:

1) Cured the FQP, passenger side...OMG it's fixed. Such a relief!

2) replaced the genny tailpipe hanger....Have the p/n if anyone is interested.

3) Cut silver insulated reflecto and velcro to fit the upper cab windows.

4) Used some velcro to attach the awning pull to the side of the coach...anyone else driven insane by the "tap-tap-tapity-tap-tap" of the pull hitting as you drive?

5) put an LED strip light on the awning barrel ala' Focker (can't find the post right this second). Love this....

Next up before the next road trip (Friday!) is new LED bulbs for the headlights and some extra LED strips

Cheers
Mike
1. AWESOME! Another DIY Hero
2. P/N...yes, please.
3. Pictures please.
4. Our pull strap is retracted at an angle (would look like a spring, if visible) to capture most of the extra strap. That way, no tap, tap.
5. How do you get power to the light strip?

Congrats and Safe Outlaw Travels.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #1953

Re: New Year's Fixes

Hi Steve!

Window shades (1st and 2nd pictures). This is the passenger side. When we first tried this, we had a couple left-over pieces from the windshield shade, so we simply folded the bottom to fit. Turns out this works really well as the sill is pretty wide at the bottom of the top window. That's duct tape holding the fold shut. In the second picture, it looks like the cover is sticking out, but the overhead storage is actually covering the front part of the window. We put this stuff in the front windshield, as tightly as we can when we park. Really helps keep it cool in the hot CA sun.

Generator pipe hanger label is the third picture.

Fourth picture is how every single self-tapping screw was covered. I don't know if everyone's was like this, and I get why, but it was the hardest part of the job. Broke one flat razor blade (in a scraper handle), and went through another blade in a box cutter.

You know, you are right about the pull strap. Makes me feel stupid. I'll do that when the velcro falls off due to weather.

For the light strip, I'm simply using a short extension cord to plug into the "Entertainment Center" plugs. I'd really like to tap it into the 12V so I could use it off the grid (this weekend I have to dry camp in Indio), but at this point that's beyond my technical expertise. :B

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7794.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	148001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7795.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	148002  

Name:	IMG_7792.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	148003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7789.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	148004  

Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #1954

LED Lamps

Today was headlight day. The Prius lost both bulbs last week (we had to drive home from seeing "Rogue One" on high beams), and I didn't have bulbs until today, and I got the Outlaw's LED lamps in. (it is a Bear to get Prius bulbs in. You have to have tiny hands and/or remove things.)

It has been said here many times that the 2007 Outlaw headlamps are from 1998-2002 Mercury Navigators, and I can confirm that. (Why did a GM or close to it chassis use Ford parts??) I found the Navigator manual online in a PDF, which gave me the confidence to get the bulb fitment right (H5b). Saved the two pages for headlamp changes. I've attached it.

I was pretty ticked off to find out that the stock bulbs were GLUED in. See picture.

The inner locking collar needed to be put on the LED bulbs, and for that I had to remove the bulb collar by loosening the a set screw. You can see it in the picture. I also had to make sure to put on the spring washer. Took me a while to figure out how to get it on the bulb, most of you probably aren't as dumb.

When I tried to put in the bulbs yesterday, I found it was too hard to get my fingers and hands in the right place and gave up. Thought about pulling off the whole headlamp assembly to get at it easier (another reason I was going to do this is that the bulb cover/reflector that hangs from the top of the headlight area fell off, and I want to get it back in the right place. You can see it in the fourth picture). I must have been tired, as when I tried it today it took me all of two minutes. I was not able to get the large covers on back on the assembly, as the extension wire to the existing plug wouldn't all fit in the cap. I may try again but for now I zip-tied the connection wires to the other light cables.

Can't wait to see how these work on the road. I can't tell you how many times my wife asked me if the headlights were really on. Next thing I'm going to do is put on those light bars I mentioned earlier. Shouldn't be too hard, but it's still raining here in the Valley, and will until I have to go on Friday.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7797.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	148169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7798.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	148170  

Name:	IMG_7802.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	148171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7801.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	148172  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007_OTL_headlamp_replace.pdf (74.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #1955

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really appreciate the headlight LED post, I agree they are the worst headlights EVER!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #1956

headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I really appreciate the headlight LED post, I agree they are the worst headlights EVER!
With all the meaty posts you have supplied, that means something! Should have posted a link to the bulbs. Here it is.

Oil change and genny service being done now by a mobile truck out of Turlock; Also getting this done while they are at it. No more brake pedal squeak, I hope!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #1957

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Awning question

Hi Outlaw friends,

So, we're less than a week in to our 2015 37LS and we have a few small and big issues
First silly question I have has to do with the rear awning. I'm not sure how the little awning legs work? Do you attach to the railing? They don't reach the deck so I'm figuring that's not where they go... we looked a little online and haven't seen any photos of it set up and no manual came with the camper. Does anyone have a photo of it set up? Halp!
NifTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #1958
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NifTux View Post
Hi Outlaw friends,

So, we're less than a week in to our 2015 37LS and we have a few small and big issues
First silly question I have has to do with the rear awning. I'm not sure how the little awning legs work? Do you attach to the railing? They don't reach the deck so I'm figuring that's not where they go... we looked a little online and haven't seen any photos of it set up and no manual came with the camper. Does anyone have a photo of it set up? Halp!
Funny you should ask this...I just saw that - yes, some used the arms:
The 35SG (Super C) shown here used the arms...

Name:	2014-35sg-3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	148251

I thought since being offered, the Class A's have always been one of the "armless" models by Carefree of Colorado, but maybe not:
Motor Home - Carefree of Colorado

Name:	2015 Thor Outlaw 37MD.png
Views:	107
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	148252
Credit: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/2015...md-204840.html

Minute 4:00 here:

And for the 2017's, minute 1:48 here:

I would call your dealer, TMC Customer Service, or Carefree to ask when/how the included arms are used:
https://thormotorcoach.com/contact/

Best luck

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by NifTux View Post
Hi Outlaw friends,

My 29h has arms that attach just like the post above...there are little clips on the body to hold them
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #1960

Mine has the arms but I never use them. I roll the awning up if it gets windy or at night. I feel like the arms are more hassle than they are worth.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlaw