Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vi asks a good question...my guess would be that there is no switch to disable the auto retract. You would just have to pull the fuse.

Don't these awnings self retract if you were to try to drive away with the awning deployed...just like the leveling jacks?

The upgraded ones have an annonometer to watch wind speed, but you would be able to see the whirly-gig on the roof if you had that.

I could be wrong...but that's just the nanny engineering that RVIA expects. Easy enough to check with the awning deployed - start the engine, put the tranny in drive, then release the parking brake...I bet the awning will retract when you do one of these operations.

When you do these things with the jacks down they "should" auto-retract too. At least they are supposed to, and thankfully saved me 2 times in the past. Sorry Mike, don't mean to rub your face in it....your Outlaw still looks better than mine

Not a real risk for Rivers screen room that would be hard to miss when breaking camp.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The upgraded ones have an annonometer to watch wind speed, but you would be able to see the whirly-gig on the roof...
my 2010 doesn'thave a rooftop anemometer - the wind/temp sensor is built in to the awning strut...the one nearest to the front door. I've never left the awning out in wind so haven't tested that aspect but the awning does retract when the temp hits freezing.
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #213

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My new Challenger doesn't have the auto retract feature either. They may have gotten away from it with so many people hanging lights off their awnings and then having it try to roll them up. My awning also doesn't have a stop in that it will keep rolling and roll itself up inside out!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #214

Our 2010 does have the auto retract. It has activated several times when the wind picked up. Hmm, I guess that it was good for it to do that? I suppose the worst case is the wind will be so strong it rips things?

There is a control box in the storage bin immediately to the left of the front entry door. There you can adjust the wind speed at which it retracts. I don't know/recall if there was a control to turn it off/on?
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #215

Steve,

Your post set me to work on the jack issue. It's a quiet day on the street, so I wrote down a number of combinations to try to see when the the jacks would auto retract and backed the OL out. All this was done in the manual mode since the system has no idea what level is and I really only needed one set of jacks down part way. Soooo..

First, the system won't let me do anything with the jacks unless the parking brake is pulled out. This eliminated a couple of combinations.

So, parking brake out, jacks down and I start the engine. I haven't even touched the shift lever yet. The system flashed all lights, makes noise and retracts the jacks. OK, good.

Back to square one. Parking brake out, jacks down and I turn the key off and remove it. Push the parking brake in, key in and turn to start so it just gets power but hasn't engaged the starter. The system flashed all lights, makes noise and retracts the jacks. Awesome!!

I don't know if yours works exactly the same way. I seem to remember you had to put yours in gear before everything went off. I don't know what was going on at Ramona, but I'm happy with these test results. If they did dog shows, they probably didn't need to level the OL, so the system may not have been used much or at all. So, for me, any time the jacks are down no matter how the parking brake is set and I turn the key, all the jacks come up. I can't think of a situation when the jacks would be down and I'd want to start engine, so I'm good to go.

Mike
Mike Bachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, Mike. Congrats that the jacks will auto-lift in case they are forgotten.

Here's a simple mod that was mentioned by Bobcat12 - extra hanging spot for bathroom towels, bath robes, or whatever needs to be hung out of the way.

The hooks came from a local thrift shop. The weight is hung on the door-top, and single screw through the very top into the door keeps them in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1109131318.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	49554

The finish matches the other fixtures - except for the new brushed nickel faucet and shower sprayer...oh well. We couldn't find the rubbed copper finish in RV plumbing fixtures - yet
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #217

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve I have a similar hook on our door too I picked up at Target, I didn't put a screw it in the top when I first put it on but quickly learned it was moving so the screw went in before I scratched the door finish. I got mine in brushed nickel to match our fixtures.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thanks for the update, Mike. Congrats that the jacks will auto-lift in case they are forgotten. Here's a simple mod that was mentioned by Bobcat12 - extra hanging spot for bathroom towels, bath robes, or whatever needs to be hung out of the way. The hooks came from a local thrift shop. The weight is hung on the door-top, and single screw through the very top into the door keeps them in place. The finish matches the other fixtures - except for the new brushed nickel faucet and shower sprayer...oh well. We couldn't find the rubbed copper finish in RV plumbing fixtures - yet

Good idea, I would not have thought about using a screw!
Bobcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #219

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a hanger on our door but I use the 3m command strip adhesive strips because they hold AWSUM but you can remove them with no damage to walls or doors we also use these to put up all the wife's pictures and Decor also other small hooks for keys and etcetera
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ladder

Have decided to just keep a ladder in the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1109131321.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	49936

Pipe insulation keeps it from scratching the wall and bungy to the gear bag keeps it in place.

The 4 section ladder is useful being able to be used as a "A" frame, straight ladder, or even as a scaffolding.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #221

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone installed a Progressive Ind. Surge Protector (or any other brand) on their Outlaw? I ordered one from CW and will probably have them do the install on the $29 install deal this month but thought I would ask.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #222

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Has anyone installed a Progressive Ind. Surge Protector (or any other brand) on their Outlaw? I ordered one from CW and will probably have them do the install on the $29 install deal this month but thought I would ask.
i started to but the dealer talked me out of it ...... They said the only thing that it could protect would be my microwave because the tv,s and all the DVD sat was ran through the inverter so it was already protected ! So I opted not to do it
Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #223

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have their 50 amp portable unit. I've heard horror stories of devises getting destroyed just from a loose neutral at the box. I opted for the portable unit in case it ever gets fried it's not hard wired. I just like the peace of mind.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #224

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning83 View Post
i started to but the dealer talked me out of it ...... They said the only thing that it could protect would be my microwave because the tv,s and all the DVD sat was ran through the inverter so it was already protected ! So I opted not to do it
I did my own. It's just cut the power cord where you want to mount the surge guard and match the wires to the correct lugs. But, for $29 it would be worth having them do it unless your electrical is really easy to get at. You might compare CW's price to Amazon's to make sure they didn't load the device cost to make up for the install special.

I don't own an Outlaw, but you guy's com up with some good ideas. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlaw