Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #561

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
5 Star tune doesn't advertise better mileage just better performance and a better planned out shifting schedule. The increase in power can give you better mileage as long as you drive it reasonably. Most people like the increase in power and tend to push harder negating any benefit in MPG
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #562

Been a bit quiet in here….what all have you guys been fixing, modding or sprucing up?

You all are bad influences (or good inspirations)….we are following the trend and are putting in a sound bar. We picked one up week before last when we were in Sacramento and found we couldn't hear the TV over the A/Cs! We picked up a nice Samsung with a wireless subwoofer. Trying to coerce DH to get it installed this weekend.

Over the winter I digitized our entire DVD collection and have it all on a 2TB Western Digital Passport drive. With that and the WD Live Player we now have our entire movie collection to take with us on the road! We hooked it up prior to our Sacramento trip and it worked like a charm. Haven't played with streaming anything over Netflix, Hulu, etc. in the RV yet, works great on the one we have in the house though.

My task for the weekend is to install the new handle for the forward door. I bought a digital lock handle because DH was worried about us accidentally locking ourselves out…and I got tired of the man making me carry a huge set of spare keys on a neck lanyard. Uh, no thanks.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #563

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Been a bit quiet in here….what all have you guys been fixing, modding or sprucing up?

You all are bad influences (or good inspirations)….we are following the trend and are putting in a sound bar. We picked one up week before last when we were in Sacramento and found we couldn't hear the TV over the A/Cs! We picked up a nice Samsung with a wireless subwoofer. Trying to coerce DH to get it installed this weekend.

Over the winter I digitized our entire DVD collection and have it all on a 2TB Western Digital Passport drive. With that and the WD Live Player we now have our entire movie collection to take with us on the road! We hooked it up prior to our Sacramento trip and it worked like a charm. Haven't played with streaming anything over Netflix, Hulu, etc. in the RV yet, works great on the one we have in the house though.

My task for the weekend is to install the new handle for the forward door. I bought a digital lock handle because DH was worried about us accidentally locking ourselves out…and I got tired of the man making me carry a huge set of spare keys on a neck lanyard. Uh, no thanks.
Change is good. And it keeps us out of mischief, or so it's said.

This may be too late, but a cheaper alternative to the digital door lock is installing a combo Masterlock style lockbox to the wall outside the door. I installed one years ago for people to access my spare keys and move my rig in case of an emergency if I was traveling out of town. It was a good $30 investment.

I think I have pictures of it on my mods blog (link below).

Best to y'all and post pictures of your work!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Change is good. And it keeps us out of mischief, or so it's said.

This may be too late, but a cheaper alternative to the digital door lock is installing a combo Masterlock style lockbox to the wall outside the door. I installed one years ago for people to access my spare keys and move my rig in case of an emergency if I was traveling out of town. It was a good $30 investment.

I think I have pictures of it on my mods blog (link below).

Best to y'all and post pictures of your work!
I had considered something like this but went with the digital door lock because of our sons. With this they can get in and out of the RV and no worries about them losing a key. We have something similar on our garage at home, it is a keypad the boys can use to open the garage door to get into the house.

The digital door lock does have a key option in case of problems; I was thinking of putting that in a master lock key safe in that bay where the propane tank is.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #565

OK, help me out here gang! I want to store my 'stinky slinky' outside the bin and I know I read where someone had detailed instructions on doing just that, but I can't find it doing a search.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Bachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bachman View Post
OK, help me out here gang! I want to store my 'stinky slinky' outside the bin and I know I read where someone had detailed instructions on doing just that, but I can't find it doing a search.

Thanks,
Mike
Dan has direction on his page. I was just looking at it a few days ago.
Hula Hut RV Mods and Changes
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #567

Thanks for the info, Orangepeel. That will be my next project.
Mike Bachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #568

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bachman View Post
Thanks for the info, Orangepeel. That will be my next project.
It's easier than I made it out to be on the blog. If you have any problems feel free to drop me a note and I'll be glad to help.

Dan
Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #569

So I purchased the wrong digital lock handle - of course we did not discover this until we got the old handle completely taken off. We had purchased off of Amazon a few months ago and were now outside the return window. For those wondering why we would let it sit in a box that long all I can say is this - it rains a lot in the PNW during the winter! Changing out a handle is not something we wanted to do while getting rained on; we decided to wait til spring.

We called the manufacturer to see if they would do an exchange. They asked when we bought and we told them the date thinking there was no way they would do the exchange because of the length of time. Turns out that at the time we purchased there was an error on Amazon, the wrong pictures were on the site so we got the incorrect handle thru no fault of our own. They were happy to do the exchange for us.

Hopefully the correct handle will come in next week. I will post pictures once we get it installed. I hope it works well because so far Bauer has been a nice company to work with!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #570

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outdoor lighting added.... Decided to attach one of those waterproof LED strips on the awning for a nice soft outdoor lighting. Most reviewers say the sticky strip on the lights does not stick well so I picked up some 3M VHB (very high bond) double tape and got to work.
Here they are attached:

Close Up:

For extra security I cut and stuck a couple of Eternabond strips on the ends:

All lit up

The strip I purchased: Amazon.com: LEDwholesalers IP66 Waterproof 16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip 44-Button Controller and Power Supply, 2038RGB+3315+3215: Home Improvement

The VHB tape (I needed 6 extra inches to attach the whole light strip, luckily I had some other 3M outdoor double tape): Amazon.com: 3M 03614 Scotch-Mount 1/2" x 15' Molding Tape: Automotive
Old 06-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #571
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott,

Very nice mod!

The lights are on the awning reel...right? Where do you get power from?

Many folks put the lights on the wall, right under the awning mount channel for making power feed easier.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #572

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the lights are on the awning reel. I am just using the included power supply and plugging into the exterior receptacle on the coach.

I suggested to my wife that we mount them as you suggested just under the awning channel on the wall but she didn't like the look of it when I held them up there. I don't think you would really see them and you could have the lights on while the awning is rolled up but she pointed out that 90% of the time when we are outside at night the awning is out.

The lights are 12 volt so you could do a direct connect if you mounted as you suggested and ran some wire.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #573

No more Klingon War Symbol

The only thing I have ever truly disliked about the Outlaw interior is the "art work" they started putting above the TV in the newer models. We jokingly have called it the Klingon War Symbol.

So we decided to pry that bad boy off and put up something else. We took a paint stick, started in the corner and slowly pried it off.

I was kind of surprised how long the nails were!

I found some retro camping graphics featuring PNW locations, had them framed and we got it hung today.

Also hung some boxes to the left of the TV to keep the various remotes.

Still waiting on the sound bar. The tune DH ordered from 5 Star came in the mail yesterday so I have a feeling I will be waiting until next weekend for the sound bar.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #574

MrOrangepeel installed the custom tune from 5Star this morning and then we took a drive. There is such a noticeable difference in the shift points, especially on hills.

Best thing we have added to the Outlaw so far.

Tags
outlaw