Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #1037

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I'm curious about the 5 star... I drive exclusively in Tow/Haul mode and find this helps with the shifting. How does the 5 star compare to the tow/haul mode? Can't say I've ever run into the 75 MPH limit....
Sorry I didn't answer your question lol but now you won't need to use tow haul anymore just drop her in gear and roll
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Crayfish View Post
We live in Florida. Our mountains are hills at best. But the first time we were up and down , freeway speed hills. Really nothing to speak of. The second time was flat going thru a national forest. Scary.. Nothing around for miles. And no hills at all. Like I said, I saw no signs of over heating under the hood. You would think that the over flow tank would show signs or at least some steam or something. How do I check for the play in the fan. Side to side, front to back, up and down ?? And that would be intermitting ? We pulled a 22ft catamaran to the keys last July with no problems and come Thanks giving this happened. Now keep in mind it was in storage in between that time. I crank up everything every 3-4 weeks .
Sorry didn't see this earlier. I'm speaking generically because I've never actually done this to the Outlaw but try to wiggle the fan blades front to back by hand. If there is any wobble in the fan, there is a bad bearing in the fan clutch. Also spin the fan (engine off, of course!). A good clutch should offer a certain amount of resistance when spun by hand. If the fan spins with little resistance the fan clutch is probably slipping too much and needs to be replaced.
Oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #1039
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Door Lock Update - Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Update:
DO NOT BUY THE Bauer NE (part # 013-509) to replace the Trimark 60-650 (common to most GenI Outlaws).
It does not fit...and does not have the 2 Large jam pins that I have found are a required part of a door latch/lock for motorhome doors.

I believe the Bauer lock that is the correct fitment for the Outlaw is the Bauer EM. See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/new-...es-183378.html
...This is not confirmed.

Attachment 81985

Santa brought me a Bauer NE (pictured below). It is well made and unlike the EM, the NE has 2 lock tumblers to lock the latch and deadbolt separately, but the problem is that the casing is too small to overlay on to the original door lock opening.

Attachment 81984

I really like that the NE has the 2 locks as well as the electric deadbolt actuator, so I intend to modify the opening to fit the NE (will just add an additional mount plate).

Details to follow.
Since Christmas, I have worked and reworked fitting the Bauer 13-509...and gave up.
Now I am now SO GLAD that I did not try to force fit that TT lock into our Outlaw, because the Bauer EM (#013-531) fit like it was original equipment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	84790

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	84791

It literally took only 20min to install and test. The only downside is obvious - no second lock on the main latch bolt, but the deadbolt is very stout. It is not easy to tell, but the jam pins are identical to the old/original trimark lock. And the original strike plate appears to be a duplicate of the one from Bauer, so I did not swap it = no molding removal/repair

It went just like this YouTube video... the last part about the strike plate can be skipped:

Safe mods
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #1040

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So the EM was just plug and play basically? Looks really easy to install.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #1041
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep...the Bauer EM is a perfect match for the existing holes in the door and jam.

I forgot to highlight another function lost with the EM (besides the second lock set)...the NE has a short-cut function. When exiting (deadbolt retracted), press and hold the 7/8 and the "lock" button to quickly lock the deadbolt...no need to enter the PIN.
(EDIT) The new EM's being sold since spring 2015 have this shortcut
Oh well...the EM is such a good fit, that we will just live with the less functions.

Safe mods
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #1042

Anybody using gutter extensions to make the rain and/or AC condensation drip further from their rig? The standard ones are a little short and sometimes the water just drips down the side of the Outlaw. Another inch or two on the front would be perfect.

Man, there are a million jokes in there...
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #1043

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim I got the Camco gutter extensions for ours however oddly enough they attach to the existing gutters at an odd angle instead a 90 degree angle which would be normal. I ended up warming them up with a torch and bending them to the proper angle then attaching them. They have been working for a year perfectly.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Tim I got the Camco gutter extensions for ours however oddly enough they attach to the existing gutters at an odd angle instead a 90 degree angle which would be normal. I ended up warming them up with a torch and bending them to the proper angle then attaching them. They have been working for a year perfectly.
Thanks Scott. Did your rig come with gutter extensions? Mine has very small ones that came with the rig. I wonder if the larger ones can just be attached under the small ones? I don't see a good way to remove the old ones but I'm sure there's a way. They are pretty cheap. Maybe I'll get a pair and see.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #1045

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made the Camco ones fit on the little factory ones. I will take a photo if you need me to in the next couple of days. You will see from the add that one side is at a 45 degree angle and really needs to be at a 90, that is the side I bent. After that I put a bunch of clear silicone on them and then did a few test and filled a couple of gaps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #1046
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gutter run-off is a universal and annoying issue...
We use the Camco ones too, but in white. And these as just slightly less than 90' angle.

But I left them removable so they don't poke holes when we use a cover. After a bit of trimming, they just snap on to the original gutter ends...using the ladder we carry in the garage:

Name:	42123_inuse.png
Views:	219
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	85699

Name:	42123.png
Views:	205
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	85700

Name:	42123_inuse_a.png
Views:	204
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	85701

Photos from Camco obviously don't show my proprietary and highly classified secret trimming technique
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #1047

Perfect, I think I'll get a set of those and make them work!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #1048

Thor Owners Club
New Outlaw 37LS owner

Tons of good info. here! I am impressed. Does anybody know of a screen kit for the deck or even for the back opening? Thanks in advance!
Nightrider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #1049
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

We have an Xtend-a-room by Dometic - it is full coverage. Others have the screen wall just at the doorway.
Like Scott (Focker) here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1517709

It's all in what you want. Both styles have been posted in this thread...enjoy.

Hope you share about your rig...and see more about Outlaw's here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...02560-247.html

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #1050

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CAMCO Longer Gutter ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Anybody using gutter extensions to make the rain and/or AC condensation drip further from their rig? The standard ones are a little short and sometimes the water just drips down the side of the Outlaw. Another inch or two on the front would be perfect.

Man, there are a million jokes in there...
I first bought a set of the CAMCO 42134 Gutter Spouts w/Extensions thinking they were the ones that attached to the existing spouts, as described here. When I went to install, it became readily apparent that 'slip on extensions' would not work since A) my existing spouts were broken off (by the previous owner), and B) even if they were there, these Spouts w/Extensions would not have worked. These Gutter Spouts "With" Extensions attach by removing the end screw in the drip rail, pulling the rail slightly away from the side, sliding out the old gutter, and sliding this one in it's place. Well...since I had an old set of the B&B 655 versions (bought on clearance a while back; American RV has them on sale now for 99cents), and those require the same installation procedure, I installed them. I keep my rig inside a hangar, so there are no cover install issues. The B&B versions stick out about 3 inches, getting the water further off the side, yet still well inside the width of your mirrors.

So, as long as you don't have cover install issues and want a permanent install, try the B&B versions...after all, "longer" is usually better

(couldn't help it...)
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlaw