Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Overhead bunk fallng

We need to get it back to dealer for 2nd repair, 4 hours of travel. How secure is that pin. Bunk is 6 to 8 inches lower on driver side and snug at the other end.

We lowered once and it took 2 of us to push up bad side to reset pin.

Help!!!!
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Hopefully this pic attaches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	120138  
Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tried not putting the pins in when we first got our Challenger and our overhead bunk looked exactly like yours.

If the pin is thru the hole in the bunk slide and into the rail hole - it simply cannot come down. BUT you must make sure it through both holes.

If it isn't then pull both pins out and lower to the bottom position. Make sure you hold the button in until both the sides of the bunk are down all the way. Now raise the bunk about 6" and then do it all over again. Now raise the bunks to the full up position. Again, lower the bunk about 6" and raise it all the way up. Now insert the pins.

This should retime the bunk.

Hope this helps.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #4

Thor reached out

Thor reached out to let us know the pin will hold the bunk.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the problem fixed?

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
...Make sure you hold the button in until both the sides of the bunk are down all the way. Now raise the bunk about 6" and then do it all over again. Now raise the bunks to the full up position. Again, lower the bunk about 6" and raise it all the way up. Now insert the pins.

This should retime the bunk.

Hope this helps.

No!

Watch the Schwntek video for the slides, (same system as a wall with four slide motors instead of two in the overhead bunk).

My right side motor/gear went out if sync, but mine was about 18" off, while I was up in the High Sierras getting ready to come home from a long stay. It happened on a Sunday and there was no cell phone reception. I ended up using my shoulder, (as I stood on various things to provide enough lift), to force it up as my kids pressed the switch and I pushed in the safety pin.

The gear on the right side chewed up the rail and itself. The shattered gear parts fell to the floor with bits of aluminum railing.

After both motors, both rails, one support cable, and all miscellaneous hardware were replaced under warranty it worked. However, the dealership's service writer was very specific and adamant that I only ever completely raise the bunk all the way up, or all the way down, pressing on the switch for about two to three seconds after. That's precisely the same information on the YouTube video for re-calibrating the timing on the controllers for the Schwintek slides.

There is no 6" partial movement in the Youtube video, or mentioned by my service writer guy. Any partial raise or lower movement will screw up the controller's timing all over again.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #7

We made it to the dealer. I will update to let you know what they found. Thanks for the help. I will watch video.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exercise it a few times when it comes out. Similar issues on the happi-jack beds and dealers tend to not adjust them very well...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am glad I took the time to read this post. My bunk doesn't have the safety pins. I was wondering what those brackets were for. I just called Thor Customer service and they are going to send me a set. Thank you!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

I was amazed such short pins held the wait. Still in repair at Lazydays.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

Talked with our service advisor who ha looked at it with the tech, it kept slipping when they looked at it. The advisor had to assist in the upward motion to be able to reset pin. I am guessing we won't be out of LD repair for another week,��
Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #12

The outcome is the bed was caught above the stop bracket on the rail on the wall. They ran it up and down and it seems to be flush. We will keep our fingers crossed.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
The outcome is the bed was caught above the stop bracket on the rail on the wall. They ran it up and down and it seems to be flush. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Have you examined the condition of the rails and gears underneath the decorative vinyl coverings?

When mine completely locked up, (and pieces of the drive gear on the right side fell out), Upon taking it in for service the dealership's service technician was able to successfully reset the controller. The service writer was very proud about their cheap fix when they called me back to pick it up and demonstrated that everything worked great!

I had them remove the decorative panels while we were standing inside my coach. The entire rails were completely chewed up and the gear on the right was indeed cracked and missing parts.

I did take it home that evening and used it for a few camping trips.

AFTER waiting six weeks for authorizations/approvals from Thor, and the proper parts to be sent across the country twice, they ended up replacing all the lift hardware on both sides, and the lift cable on the right side. I retuned on a scheduled date convenient for me, (once everything was confirmed), dropped it off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon.

It's worked great since then. It's been used dozens of times in the past year and a half since the warranty repair was completed. I make sure to ONLY completely drop it or lift it and I hold the switch for a few seconds once it gets there. And I always remember to insert the safety pins.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote