Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Palazzo and Steering Stabilizers

I know we have discussed this subject on several threads and I know several have had them installed. I am in Tampa and has high, gusting, crosswinds for my last 500 miles which left me worn out.

Any opinions if it is worth to coast to help with this condition?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Stop at 300 mile. Ha. Just couldn't pass that up.. I have a stabilizer on mine.. Seem to help in perfect conditions and with trucks passing. I am sure it will help in a blow out situation. As to high cross winds I still have the same issues that I had before and you are having.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a steering stablizer installed on my previous MH. I couldn't tell that it made that much difference.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

IMHO a steering stabilizer will make the situation you described better but it will not eliminate completely. It will reduce your fatigue some. You will also see an improvement when hitting bumps and, hopefully you never experience it, but it will keep you going straight if you blow a front tire.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just came back from Miami and know what you mean about crosswinds. Another factor on some older roads is that heavy truck traffic has worn enough to make any sideways movement even worse. Of course the big rigs passing on the upwind side make it even more challenging.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I had Stear-Safe on our first RV (Class C). It really helped with fatigue and a little with wind & trucks passing. Helped also with uneven roads.
Don't know if I'll get something for our Palazzo.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #7

As soon as the weather breaks I am having a Steer-Safe unit put on our Palazzo. My mechanic has had MH's and highly recommended Steer Safe so time will tell. I figure it can't hurt and it is a help in case of a blow out. I like the extra control factor.

For control make sure you have the correct air pressure in your tires and check to see that they are properly balanced. Our Palazzo front tires were out of balance when we first got it and the steering wheel was not straight. Complained to dealer and they took it to a truck alignment center, now it is straight and drives much better.
Bill
SteelerFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan22 View Post
As soon as the weather breaks I am having a Steer-Safe unit put on our Palazzo. My mechanic has had MH's and highly recommended Steer Safe so time will tell. I figure it can't hurt and it is a help in case of a blow out. I like the extra control factor.

For control make sure you have the correct air pressure in your tires and check to see that they are properly balanced. Our Palazzo front tires were out of balance when we first got it and the steering wheel was not straight. Complained to dealer and they took it to a truck alignment center, now it is straight and drives much better.
Bill
Bill: Thanks for the info!
I just had my service done at Freightliner (Gaffney SC) and during the service I had my ride height adjusted and the chassis aligned (toe-in was out of adjustment). I have had mine over the scales several times and I feel I am running the correct tire pressure. My Palazzo handles just fine under normal driving conditions, good roads, no high wind gusting, etc. So I would not be considering a steering stabilizer if it was not for the drive to Tampa, crosswinds 12-20 mph.

Now I am trying to weight the cost to benefit of installing a stabilizer. Up to this point I have not read any compelling information that I will see much, if any, handling improvement so for now I will keep my money for now.

Thanks again!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Bill: Thanks for the info!
I just had my service done at Freightliner (Gaffney SC) and during the service I had my ride height adjusted and the chassis aligned (toe-in was out of adjustment). I have had mine over the scales several times and I feel I am running the correct tire pressure. My Palazzo handles just fine under normal driving conditions, good roads, no high wind gusting, etc. So I would not be considering a steering stabilizer if it was not for the drive to Tampa, crosswinds 12-20 mph.

Now I am trying to weight the cost to benefit of installing a stabilizer. Up to this point I have not read any compelling information that I will see much, if any, handling improvement so for now I will keep my money for now.

Thanks again!
Jack
Jack,
Would you mind sharing your weights and pressures?
I have been able to weigh only front and rear with moderate loading so am curious to see if another Palazzo has side to side difference in weight. The dealer put my tire pressure at 110 all around and wonder if the ride and tracking stability would be better at a lower pressure since I am well below GVWR.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Jack,
Would you mind sharing your weights and pressures?
I have been able to weigh only front and rear with moderate loading so am curious to see if another Palazzo has side to side difference in weight. The dealer put my tire pressure at 110 all around and wonder if the ride and tracking stability would be better at a lower pressure since I am well below GVWR.
Jerry,

I had mine weighted at Freightliner. I wasn't fully loaded but did have a full tank of fuel, no water and a little propane.

Here are the weights:
3400 - LF
3600 - RF
7540 - LR
7400 - RR
21940 - Total weight

They put 90 psi in all the tires.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

That sounds about right on the tire pressure that I run. Mine came with 110 all the way around. I know I'm light too but haven't weighed it yet. I started lowering my pressures to see where it handles best and am running 90 psi in the rear & 95 psi in the front. I noticed considerable difference in the handling. I always run with full water tanks. I never know where we will stay so we kith keep them full.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post

Jerry,

I had mine weighted at Freightliner. I wasn't fully loaded but did have a full tank of fuel, no water and a little propane.

Here are the weights:
3400 - LF
3600 - RF
7540 - LR
7400 - RR
21940 - Total weight

They put 90 psi in all the tires.
Thanks Gary, excellent information. Your overall weight is close to mine. What were you running before and have you noticed a difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Thanks Gary, excellent information. Your overall weight is close to mine. What were you running before and have you noticed a difference.
I was at 95 psi in all tires before the recent weight-in. I just drove it back from Gaffney to home and didn't notice any difference. Probably because I was just at a 5 psi difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Great info everyone!!!!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering