RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

Phantom Electrical Issues

Last week my rear slide was halfway out , sitting in my yard, then yesterday I plugged into electric to do some work inside, got up this morning, the temperature was 28 degrees, went out to motor home and every light was on even stepwell and cargo bays and both air conditioners were running and generator was making a noise like the glo plugs trying to start it was 33 degrees inside, what is triggering these switches?

Bruce33.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #2

Intruders? Was it unlocked?

SLOweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce33.5 View Post
Last week my rear slide was halfway out , sitting in my yard, then yesterday I plugged into electric to do some work inside, got up this morning, the temperature was 28 degrees, went out to motor home and every light was on even stepwell and cargo bays and both air conditioners were running and generator was making a noise like the glo plugs trying to start it was 33 degrees inside, what is triggering these switches?
Slides are 12 volts dc. Lights are 12 volts dc. A/C are 120 volts ac. Generator trying to start is thru a 12 volt dc starter not glow plugs. Light switches must be physically turned on.

Do you have a mouse problem? Chewed wiring will cause these problems. If not the neighbor kids are messing with you.

In the meantime leave the battery disconnect off when your not there.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #4

The generator issue, do you have an Onan Energy Command 30. You don't state make/model of your rig.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #5

Last week with motorhome sitting in the yard and not hooked up to electric, i noticed the rear slide was half way out all by itself, yesterday I plugged it in to do some work on the inside and left the power on overnight, this morning it was 28 degrees and leaving for a morning walk heard something running, went inside motorhome and both air conditioners were running and every light was on, even the cargo lights and the generator was making a clicking sound and the rear slide was out about 3 inches. Has anyone ever experienced these problems?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

I have a 2019 Palazzo 33.5
Old 04-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'll go with someone messing with your coach. Lets us know when you find out.
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #8

Gremlins??
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Talking

Maybe it's the "Invisible Enemy"? Sorry - just couldn't resist. Shame on me but I needed a smile.

Back to earth now..... honestly while I have no idea what could be going on I think the mouse or critter idea has some merit.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Does it have electronic controls for all the lights and slide like a touch screen control pad? If so, some electronics can do some really weird things if they get low voltage. Since you mentioned the low temps I can imagine your furnace coming on in the middle of the night, running the batteries down and if you have autostart on the generator it's trying to start to recharge the low batteries, but failing. In the mean time, the solenoid clicking on and off trying to start the generator is causing voltage fluctuations which is triggering things to turn on. The slide may try to deploy first, which being a large draw pulls the voltage down more depleting the batteries to the point it can't go any further hence stopping half way out.

The reason I suspect this is I have a car that when the battery starts to reach the end of it's life, odd electrical things start happening. It has a speed deployed spoiler that will start going up and down on it's own, radio and turn signal do weird things, and sometime the car still starts fine, then shortly after that nothing not even a click. Try 10 minutes later and it starts fine. When this first started happening I had the battery tested and the tech said it was still within specs although at the low end. I posted a similar question to the car forum and got a lot of replies to say "Buy a new battery" "Ignore the test, get a new battery!" I did, and it's been fine ever since.

I'm not saying you need new batteries but they might be getting discharged at night causing your electronics to go crazy. Now if you have regular on/off switches and push buttons for everything, that's a whole other mystery issue.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #11

I forgot to add that sometimes when batteries are run way down the onboard charger can struggle to bring them back up in any reasonable time especially if it has to fight a load too. What I've done when this happens is disconnect the ground cable on the battery and connect a regular battery charger to the batteries and leave it on until fully charged. Then unhook the stand alone battery charger, reconnect the ground cable, and then, plug the Rv back into a wall outlet.

Even though your rig is fairly new, there is a possibility that if the house battery(s) have been run dead several times especially in freezing weather, that they may be gone or nearly gone. You won't know until you can confirm they've received a full charge. If they are regular flooded cell batteries, with removable caps, a inexpensive hydrometer from an auto parts store will tell you their state of charge. After they are charged, if you let them rest for half a day unconnected, then test with the hydrometer, you'll know if they took a full charge. If they froze when fully discharged you may see the cases have bulges, that can be a sign that they are shot. Also confirm the water is topped of before charging, with distilled water (assuming of course that they aren't sealed, maintenance free batteries.) If you want to be absolutely sure of their condition, charge them up, then the next day take them somewhere to get them load tested.

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, fan, problem, problems