RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Poor Thor Customer Service

We bought a used 2014 Challenger 37KT in January. First off, I must say we had no problems with the unit on our trip to Florida.
I do not like the driver's and passenger pleated shades as they look like brushed cardboard.
I saw a video online about the upgrades to the 2015 Challenger and they included a 2 piece day/night shade (manually operated). Should be simple enough to order the newer ones, right? Wrong. Contacted Thor and they wanted my vin number. Gave it to them. They would not provide a part number and told me I would have to go through a dealer. Ok. So I contacted 2 dealers. No luck. They couldn't get a part number for the 2015 either.
So if something as simple as my request could not be addressed, I can only imagine what lays in store for me when I have more serious issues.
A product is only as good as the manufacturer's support so I can understand other Thor owners frustration.
Does anyone know of a contact number for Thor that I can use to resolve my issue?

Thor safely,
Alex

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not buy an aftermarket shade like MCD? We had the MCD shades installed in our Palazzo and loved them.

Gary

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

Looked into MCD shades and a dealer in Fl. didn't recommend them as they are expensive and I was told that MCD had poor customer service.

Shade safely,
Alex
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try MagnaShade. Roger can help you. He is located in Mocksville, NC.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Don't want a magna shade. Doesn't do what I want to. I want a rollup day/night shade combo.

shade safely,
Alex
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They sell roller shades. Or at least they did when I got my MagnaShades.

Gary
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The number I use for Thor customer service is 877-855-2867
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I disagree with your information on MCD customer service. We have one over the door (factory installed) on our couch and it wasn't rolling up properly. I called MCD and they had me send it back for free replacement. I would give MCD a call and see if they respond to questions about service not just take your dealer's word on them in this case.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope you are enjoying your Challenger - besides the shades...
Here is little factoid to help about parts...

Thor (like Newmar and many others) does not sell factory direct parts. Parts will ONLY be made available through service centers for retail sales.

So, you could:
1. Call back to Thor asking about the part number only - being clear that this is for a modification/upgrade. If they want your VIN, it is for tracking parts/repairs (good on Thor for that).
...Then...
2. Go to your local TMC authorized parts service/center and ask them to order the part for you.

This is not a new thing in the RV world and is the way that RV makers culture relationships with dealers. Only a few companies sell factory direct.

BTW, there is a good thread here for other Challenger owners:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...te-150811.html

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

I have called Thor customer service. They wanted my vin #. I told them I wanted to replace the original shade/blind to the pull down version like on the 2015 Challenger. They advised me it wasn't possible. I understand having to go through a dealer, and I only wanted the part number to help the dealer get the correct one. The dealers I have contacted have not been able to get help through Thor. I would really like to talk with someone higher up to get the info I need.
But more than likely I will have to make do with what I have.
In talking with the Thor rep, I asked every question I could think of and the answer was always the same: They couldn't provide the part number.
We still like the Challenger 37KT but as I posted earlier, the vehicle is only as good as the support you receive. Dealers have not been the problem, Thor support is the problem.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Gary, I contacted Roger at Magnashade. Great guy and they have some wonderful shades, but I would have a 9 inch gap on the bottom as it is wider there than at the top.
I may have to take the MH to him and see what he recommends.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP's experience with TMC customer service is exactly opposite to ours. We have called TMC about getting newer models parts that fit our RV and have been given the part #'s with the caveat that a dealer must make to order for us (that's how we found out how it works).

So, there might be more to the story - like the designers have not rolled out the parts lists for the 2015's to customer service yet, or there is no backer in the wall of the 2014's to support the new style shade mounts (giving the "It's not possible" answer ) .

One insight to parts from the factory is that they are not cheap. We found that if the part is made by a third party, it can be found much more affordably from that company.

The one exception is Lippert Components. LCI will only sell parts/systems that were factory original equipment...no owner upgrades supported. But, they will sell owners any parts - factory direct. And another but, they will sell any of their products to a professional shop willing to make a modification for private owner - of course

Sorry for the OPs situation.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

Steve, thanks for the thoughts. I too think there may be more to this story, but I'll never know.
Sorry all if I came across as frustrated, but really, I am only disappointed.

Shade safely,
Alex
Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

I will try to get you some answers when I get to work on Monday. Can't promise anything, but I will try.

Brian

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, thor