Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Problem with seat covering Tuscany XTE

I have 2014 Tuscany XTE, about 6 months ago the seat coverings begin to fail by flaking. The coating seems to be very thin. Will all the seating need to be replaced? Can I get any help from Thor?
The Chassis is in great condition and well maintained and kept in insulated building.

Any ideas, seems like this is a manufacturing issue.
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
I posted this on the Thor form, thought I would try here to. The seat coverings on my 2014 Tuscany XTE are failing by flaking, the coating is very thin and I am concerned that all the seating will need to be replaced if I ever try to sell. The unit has been in an insulated building when not in use. Only has 36k miles.

Not sure what to do, help.

dave
If they are leather, then condition them. Not sure what material you have
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #3

not leather

They are the fake leather and how the unit came, had the fake leather in a truck camper that gave good service. Think it has to do with the thickness of coating on the material. This coating thinner than paper, I expected much better service, there is just two of us.

Should I hammer on Thor?

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor is going to tell you that the unit is 5 years old and well past any warrenty period. You can thank China for this. Most american manufactures are buying from China because the cost is much lower than making it in America. Some Chinese products are good, but many are crap. Their genuine leather belts are cheap leather covered in plastic. Within a month the plastic starts peeling off. That is what happened to you. The faux leather covering is breaking down and coming loose from the backing. I hope in the future, american manufacturers will do the right thing and quit buying this junk. Of course this is not going to help you. I am afraid the simple answer is you are out of luck. Not saying that is right, just saying that is the way things are.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

My 2016 Chateau is doing the same, with 17,000 miles. Called Thor, its out of warranty. Thor provided the material to the company that made the seat covers. Thor admits the material is a known issue, BUT, will not assist. What a company. Sell a product, learn what was used is defective, and not help correct. Thank you Thor.
rvaction2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

Ours is a 2016 with considerable use and all the upholstery appears like new

Have a puppy that sleeps on it as well

Apparently quite a difference in batches of material

I do treat the surface with Aerospace 303 protectant a couple times per year and more often if dirty
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #7

2015 ACE 29.3 stored in enclosed shed. Started peeling at 30 K miles. At a dealers lot this week 75% of 2015 and older are peeling regardless of brand that have similar material. It's coming your way Iwmcguire.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Sure could be, not looking forward to that

ULTRA LEATHER was used in many coaches so will be a lot of folks impacted
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any idea when Thor became aware of the issue and "hopefully" started utilizing better material for the seats?? Any '17 or '18 model years experiencing the same peeling problems yet?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

There are a number of Coaches that use Ultra Leather so not limited to Thor

Haven't really heard that many complaints give the large number of units that would fit into the time frame

Certainly not what you expect and reminds me of bonded leather that was and still is passed off as top grain leather
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, problem, tuscany