RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Question about Auto Leveling

I am about to try the Auto Leveling for the first time tonight.

Our driveway is a bit of a slope. My previous RV had manual hydraulic leveling. I would raise the front until the tires were almost off the ground. this would get the RV pretty close to level.

My question is, will the Auto Leveling system know if I am on too much of a slope? I would hate to place the RV in a dangerous situation trying to level it on too much of a downhill.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get various opinions. We have had the manual and now automatic. We are on a slope in our driveway of about 2 plus inches. The first few times we leveled the 2014 WBGO (auto) I was not happy. It seemed to raise the coach farther than needed to achieve level. So I started doing it manually and to achieve level it did not have to raise the left wheels nearly as far off the ground and most of the time the wheels did not come off the ground.

After several attempts both auto and manual I prefer to do it manually. It may have to do with the auto level adjustment but when I use the level lights and do it manually it works fine so that's what I typically do. It's just as easy for me.

If I remember correctly on the older system I could lower manually front, rear or either side but I don't think the newer automatic systems work the same way. So far I have not read nor been able to lower any of the jacks unless I'm retracting all of them. The reason may be this. If you notice jacks always work in pairs: front, rear, left side, right side. They never work one at a time. There is the concern that you might lower just one corner and that will tweak the frame causing a windshield to break, which can and does happen.

I think the best plans of men just sometimes fall short.

TeJay

Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

One thing I can tell you about auto leveling is you can auto level the same coach in the same spot multiple times and get slightly different results every time. This is because all level sensors have a acceptable range of level. Most simple chase the low spots till they are all even this can leave you with a very high coach. A second thing is most systems now do a stabilization after leveling which can make it once again need to level all the time your going up only few systems go down in auto mode. Other than air leveling which many of them drop the coach first then level up from there. All of the hyd systems have a max extension for the jacks and if any of them reach it the system will fault and stop. If your coach has Air suspension I prefer you dump the air before leveling to get the coach as low as possible. The lower the coach is the more range your leveling system will have to level your coach.

Those are general rules I use when helping people learn their system From there we go to details about the setup they have and what works best with it and that can vary a lot from coach to coach.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

You have a new coach and I bet it will auto level fine...give it a try...if not make Thor get it to work right!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
You have a new coach and I bet it will auto level fine...give it a try...if not make Thor get it to work right!
I hope Jim is right.

In our case, also w/a brand new unit, the leveling system in AUTO mode has never performed as expected - not even close. As mentioned earlier it usually left the front tires unnecessarily high off ground, or on a side angle, or both.

Took it to CW for correction which they claimed they did - "works perfectly" said they. Tried it out before leaving the dealer, and to no surprise, it was just as bad as before & they (we) had to finish it off in manual mode to get it close. They really had no more a clue than I. Took it home & went thru the "zero" process on my own (found written instructions lacking in clarity) - did it several times & it worked better for a couple cycles and then back to no good.

Bottom line, if you cannot get it working to your satisfaction, we have found that it's much more convenient to simply level in manual mode. Caution: Be sure to level fore and aft 1st & then the side, otherwise you have a good chance of ending up with one corner leveler not down.

Hope THOR can make it right for you. For us, it's just not worth our time and travel and aggravation (yet).
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the HWH leveling control panels have an "Excess Slope" indicator light which mine does.

Not sure which brand and model you have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

mine seems to work pretty good
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One important thing to do is to have your rear tires on the upside of the slope. You don't want the back leaving the ground. If you have leaf spring suspension with a solid I Beam I wouldn't worry about the tires (front) leaving the ground. The leaf springs are more than strong enough to withstand the weight.
The big take away here is to ensure that the rear tires don't leave the ground. Almost everything after that is gravy.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

I would not raise the wheels off the ground.
I use a 2' carpenters level to pre level.run
apropriate wheels up on blocks to get close.
I don't like my jacks extended all the way.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #10

Mine work pretty well also...it does seem to have a mind of it's own though! I use jack pads I bought from CW a while ago...especially when setting up on grass/gravel/dirt....made of a real strong rubber sort of like tire material but maybe even a little tougher...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #11

Well I gave it a shot last night. It leveled. However, the front wheels were about 6" off the ground!
So I lowered it and then manually raised the front to where the tires were still touching. Good enough.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
My leveling system has a light for "excess slope" and won't budge.

I too gave up on auto level and manually do the leveling. Much faster.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #13

My rig is a 2006 Daybreak. The auto function has never worked correctly. Wheels always end up in the air. Been using manual since we bought it. It is Lippert system.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Probably needs to be re-calibrated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling